aberdeen-music

Mini Synth Advice

Swingin' Ryan

Here's the scenario, I'm looking to buy a small analogue synth that will be relatively easy to play and won't require a knowledge of programming or anything intelligent. I'm not bothered about it making huge soundscapes or big beats as I've got the drum machine covered. Just something that can make some dirty Goldfrapp-ish bass and little electro beeps and bops.

I've looked into the Micro Korg and the Alesis Micron and a few retro synths. Does anyone have any recomedations? Something with Vocoder capabilities like the Micron and the MicroKorg would be smashing but not essential. I don't need something that I can write 12-minute electronic scores on and that I can programme with patches and other such things. I have basic keyboard/piano skills, but can't do a thing with computers so something simple and cool sounding in the 300-350 range that will just add a little extra layer to a primarily guitar band and will be fun to play with.

All advice warmly recieved :)

Yeh, I'd imagine once I've exhausted the basics I'll want to expand a little bit, aslong as I can get bleeps and dirty bass I'll be happy. The MicroKorgs looking like the front runner at the moment, just because it seems so much easier to use than the Micron, plus I've wanted one since I saw a picture in The Face when it first came out.

Cheers for the help :)

best thing to do is go into a shop and ask for a hands-on demo really...it certainly has good oscillators and a decent filter, for making bass sounds, the only limitation to be aware of is that it only does 4-voice polyphony.

"External audio can be vocoded and/or processed through the filter, effects and EQ via the included microphone or standard 1/4" stereo inputs."

thats a very nice feature!

Thank you all.

I've heard samples of the Yamaha CS01 and it sound's ace.

I've heard really short real player samples of the microkorg and micron but not enough, I'd like to give them a proper look.

Does anyone know if the mini-keys on the microkorg and micron are a major annoyance? Every review seems to mention how small they are, is it possible to play them comfortably without havng to fumble about trying to hit the right keys?