aberdeen-music

The Darkness last night

Mouse

These guys were easily one of the greatest bands I've seen so far. The show was fucking amazing, lots of fire, explosions, christmas trees and confetti. At one point Justin disappeared behind the stage and appeared on this polar bear that was suspended on the roof, and it was moving over the crowd with him on top playing guitar! It was also the best crowd I've seen at a gig, i.e no very violent pushing compared to most gigs I've been to. The songs were great, and their new stuff sound very good. Justin made sure the crowd got going the whole way through. Feel sorry for the people who don't think these guys are for real.

As for the support bands, Ash were really good, anyone recommend any albums? The first band called Do Me Bad Things were excellent, very funky, they had two male and three female singers. I can see these guys getting popular.

These guys were easily one of the greatest bands I've seen so far. The show was fucking amazing' date=' lots of fire, explosions, christmas trees and confetti. At one point Justin disappeared behind the stage and appeared on this polar bear that was suspended on the roof, and it was moving over the crowd with him on top playing guitar! It was also the best crowd I've seen at a gig, i.e no very violent pushing compared to most gigs I've been to. The songs were great, and their new stuff sound very good. Justin made sure the crowd got going the whole way through. Feel sorry for the people who don't think these guys are for real.

As for the support bands, Ash were really good, anyone recommend any albums? The first band called Do Me Bad Things were excellent, very funky, they had two male and three female singers. I can see these guys getting popular.[/quote']

I've had the misfortune of seeing them 3 times supporting other bands before they became 'cool', and no matter how good the theatrics and stage performances etc were sadly they're still a one trick pony and he still thinks wailing is the acceptable form of singing. Seldom have i hated a band so much as i hate the Darkness, i admire them for being able to keep themselves going for more than a year but personally i think they're terrible. I hope that they manage to shock me by coming up with a genuinelly good album and not novelty stuff for their next album and i might be forced to admit i was wrong, and tbh i have a suspicion if i thought any of the material was any good i'd enjoy the live show as i think theres not enough theatrical bands out there anymore.

Cheers

Stuart

i saw them at leeds and yeah ill agree theyre stage show is pretty impressive but fireworks and flames and flashy lights shouldnt be able to make up for a lack of talent!! i mean theyre not bad, but just because theyre good showmen doesnt mean theyre good musicians. unfortunately i just think theyve been a bit overplayed, kinda bore me now....but hey lets hope they pull something amazing out the bag and shock us all. a great act to see live for sure :up:

hhmm, ok maybe i didnt explain what i meant very well. im not saying that theyre a bad band, or that they lack talent, i just think perhaps what makes their shows so worth seeing is the total showmanship of it, rather than them just being a totally awesome band....like, i have been to other gigs where bands have just got up onstage, played their tunes and gone off, and i was far more impressed with their musical ability than i was seeing the darkness prance about in several different outfits, with big flashing lights and fancy pyrotechnics, i just think their gigs are probably a bit more theatrical and more like a show than a gig....if that makes any sense.. ?(

Guest onlynik

Tickets were dirt cheap on ebay you could get 4 tickets for about 15.

The Darkness won't be round too long the original cock rock bands are just better.

Ash aren't a bad band, but they've been around years, try finding a copy of 1977 it won't be hard, all good record stores will have it.

I heard a Darkness instrumental on a sampler my dad got from a newspaper.

Never in my life have i heard such a blatant fucking rip-off to ac/dc:moody: , not to mention it was bloody awful anyway

The sooner people realise they are going to flop after the next album, the better

hhmm' date=' ok maybe i didnt explain what i meant very well. im not saying that theyre a bad band, or that they lack talent, i just think perhaps what makes their shows so worth seeing is the total showmanship of it, rather than them just being a totally awesome band....like, i have been to other gigs where bands have just got up onstage, played their tunes and gone off, and i was far more impressed with their musical ability than i was seeing the darkness prance about in several different outfits, with big flashing lights and fancy pyrotechnics, i just think their gigs are probably a bit more theatrical and more like a show than a gig....if that makes any sense.. ?([/quote']

Ah I see. You mean they actually tried hard to entertain the people who paid to be entertained instead of trotting out some really cool and valid incomprehensible shoe gazing self indulgent We Must Get Our Political/Sexual/Hip message across And Change The World Before Disappearing Up Our Own Arses pish that passes for music and entertainment these days.

Here's a newsflash...music is about entertainment and putting on a show. Always has been, always will be.

So the Darkness dare to enjoy themselves. Good for them. I'm sure the green eyed monsters slagging them off really bother them.

To them it's about mind over matter. They don't mind and you don't matter.

Ah I see. You mean they actually tried hard to entertain the people who paid to be entertained instead of trotting out some really cool and valid incomprehensible shoe gazing self indulgent We Must Get Our Political/Sexual/Hip message across And Change The World Before Disappearing Up Our Own Arses pish that passes for music and entertainment these days.

Here's a newsflash...music is about entertainment and putting on a show. Always has been' date=' always will be.

So the Darkness dare to enjoy themselves. Good for them. I'm sure the green eyed monsters slagging them off really bother them.

To them it's about mind over matter. They don't mind and you don't matter.[/quote']

ouch!!

ok, ill give u an example of what i meant....

earlier this year i went to see jamie cullum at the royal concert hall in glasgow and i can safely say it was the most entertaining gig ive been to my whole life, there were no fireworks, no costume changes, no flying snow tigers or any of that sort of stuff, it was just pure musical entertainment, him, and his band, and they didnt stop for about two hours, and i was utterly utterly impressed!! i saw the darkness at leeds and yes, the show was good to watch, but only because it was big and bright and vibrant and colourful and extravagant, that is just an extension of what the darkness are...extravagant!! and i dont think theres anything wrong with that....i was just commenting...a mere observation....you just took me the wrong way!

ouch!!

ok' date=' ill give u an example of what i meant....

earlier this year i went to see jamie cullum at the royal concert hall in glasgow and i can safely say it was the most entertaining gig ive been to my whole life, there were no fireworks, no costume changes, no flying snow tigers or any of that sort of stuff, it was just pure musical entertainment, him, and his band, and they didnt stop for about two hours, and i was utterly utterly impressed!! i saw the darkness at leeds and yes, the show was good to watch, but only because it was big and bright and vibrant and colourful and extravagant, that is just an extension of what the darkness are...extravagant!! and i dont think theres anything wrong with that....i was just commenting...a mere observation....you just took me the wrong way![/quote']

I know what you mean. Sorry. Not having a go at you just the general antipathy towards the darkness often displayed on this board, I just happened to quote from your post.

I was at the Jamie Cullum gig in Glasgow too and it was fantastic. No 30 minute set for him!

Ah the darkness are what the music industry needed if you ask me, just a good bit of fun for a change. Anyway they are quite good at what they do i think some catchy tunes and some funky stage get up. But as usual unless they are some ground breaking muscial venture the "critics" (lol) on here will have a go.

Its funny but every single band that seems to do well for themselves get a heap of abuse on here from people who obviously think they could do a much better job themselves.

i saw them at leeds and yeah ill agree theyre stage show is pretty impressive but fireworks and flames and flashy lights shouldnt be able to make up for a lack of talent!! i mean theyre not bad' date=' but just because theyre good showmen doesnt mean theyre good musicians. unfortunately i just think theyve been a bit overplayed, kinda bore me now....but hey lets hope they pull something amazing out the bag and shock us all. a great act to see live for sure :up:[/quote']

Not good musicians? Are you 'shrooming? The drummers not great, but he doesn't have to be. Get used to them haters, I suspect The Darkness are gonna be around for a while....

last night was a brilliant concert.

justin hawkins had the crowd in the palm of his hand, unbelievable. the floating tiger-solo was excellent aswell.

the new song with the guitar-keyboard (english country garden) was fucking brilliant! as were the rest of the new tracks they aired - the one they opened with (Greed) was ace aswell.

they certainly don't lack talent by any means. Justin and Dan are two fucking amazing guitarists who work brilliantly well with and off of each other, and the rhythm section in frankie and ed were so powerful it hurt. they're probably one of the best bands in britain just now, imho.

do me bad things kicked ass! very different. the main lead singer had more than a touch of freddie mercury about him, but thats no bad thing - he was a kickass frontman. the 4 backing vocalists made for some interesting vocal work!

ash were also fucking excellent - get any ash album except Nu-Clear Sounds. very tight and experienced band - set the crowd up brilliantly for the darkness.

personally i think its a fucking shame that people will continue to give the darkness shit - i hope their next album fucking blows absolutely everything away and they take their rightful place in rock history.

justin hawkins had the crowd in the palm of his hand' date=' unbelievable. the floating tiger-solo was excellent aswell.

the new song with the guitar-keyboard (english country garden) was fucking brilliant! as were the rest of the new tracks they aired - the one they opened with (Greed) was ace aswell.

they certainly don't lack talent by any means. Justin and Dan are two fucking amazing guitarists who work brilliantly well with and off of each other, and the rhythm section in frankie and ed were so powerful it hurt. they're probably one of the best bands in britain just now, imho.

do me bad things kicked ass! very different. the main lead singer had more than a touch of freddie mercury about him, but thats no bad thing - he was a kickass frontman. the 4 backing vocalists made for some interesting vocal work!

ash were also fucking excellent - get any ash album except Nu-Clear Sounds. very tight and experienced band - set the crowd up brilliantly for the darkness.

personally i think its a fucking shame that people will continue to give the darkness shit - i hope their next album fucking blows absolutely everything away and they take their rightful place in rock history.[/quote']

Very well said. The Darkness don't need to hide behind fancy stage props, they do the performance too. So combining them both make for a brilliant live show. My parents loved it too.

People are quick to jump on them and call them rip offs. If Iron Maiden came 20 years after twin lead guitar like Thin Lizzy stopped, then everyone would be accusing them of being rip-offs. The Darkness are a good kick up the arse and the only decent mainstream rock band these days

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Here's a newsflash...music is about entertainment and putting on a show. Always has been' date=' always will be.

To them it's about mind over matter. They don't mind and you don't matter.[/quote']

You didn't used to post under the name of Ibid, did you?

In my opinion, I thought the best part of the Darkness' show was their performance, and their music. Not the special effects. I thought Justin handled the crowd extremely well, and the stayed true to form with a very OTT performance, but not OTT in a cringing way, just in a 'who cares what people think we are gpoing to have fun' kind of way.And to be hoenst I reallyt admire that. They must no damn well thta people give them a slagging and so on, but what last night showed was that they just don't care, they just have fun playing their music, and they played very well. Im looking forward to the new album if the new stuff last night was anything to go by.

Ash were.. Good. I aint a huge fan, but they played well, and they won over a few people I think. They just seem to play music thta many different people can enjoy, which aint a bad thing.

Do Me Bad Things were great. Im biased, so I maybe wouldn't listen to my opinion, seeing as I know them, but I think they did themsleves proud. weeks ago they were playing the Glasgow Barfly, and now the SECC, and I think they made a big impression. Certianly one of the best supports Ive seen play at a gig in that kind of situation...

- Essay Over -

Guest Jake Wifebeater
No' date=' been a member here for just a few months.

Did you get your girlfriend sorted btw?[/quote']

Yeah, things are getting sorted, thanks for asking. She picks up her flat keys tomorrow! Cue an orgy of painting and form-filling, she's due on the 21st of December. It's been a bit of a nightmare, but developments at last.

Yeah' date=' things are getting sorted, thanks for asking. She picks up her flat keys tomorrow! Cue an orgy of painting and form-filling, she's due on the 21st of December. It's been a bit of a nightmare, but developments at last.[/quote']

Good grief a xmas baby!!! Hope it all goes well for you.

Machine Head was better :p

anyways... as i said in the machine head thread

lisa thought she saw the bass player from the Darkness standing at the hotel bar after we'd got back from the Barrowlands... i just thought she was imagining things 'it's just some funny lookin' dude with an afro and a dodgy moustache'

when we came down in the morning to check out and stuff we were standing next to them in the queue....

Justin refused to sign lisa's machine head ticket.... :)

apparently he was quite rude about it

but having said that it was probably not wisest thing to ask him - especially in the morning time

they had a pink tour bus

the singer from god forbid did sign my ticket tho

he was quite a happy chappy

the rhythm section in frankie and ed were so powerful it hurt. they're probably one of the best bands in britain just now' date=' imho.[/quote']

Going back a fair bit here, like, but does anyone remember the BRITS last year?

Muse were on and played "Hysteria" and the three of them kicked up this amazingly powerful and direct sound that was fucking brilliant and drilled home the song.

The Darkness went on last and played "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" and the four of them sounded weedy, tinny and underwhelming.

Okay, that was ages ago, but it made me watch them carefully after that to see if they could cut it live, and I just don't think they have it at all. Everytime I hear them live I think they are pathetic. Doesn't really help that I don't like them in general, like, and the whole carnival thing is a joke, but from an objective point of view I don't rate them.