aberdeen-music

Greatest rock voice?

Guest onlynik

Peter Gabriel, for sure. So maybe he doesn't have the best range but he has the most wonderful texture and he does that great thing where it goes up a little bit at the end of words (I can't think of an example but I think it happens in 'bumper car' on Sledgehammer). Plus he does all the accents like on Get 'Em Out By Friday and the Colony of Slippermen.

Elvis Presley, he sung the slow ones, he sung the fast ones, and he did them better than anyone else. He invented rock and no-one's done it better since. Download "Trouble", more attitude in that voice than any punk/rock/metal singer ever.

Other than Elvis, by decade I would say.....

60's - Mick Jagger

70's - Marc Bolan

80's - Steven Tyler

90's - James Dean Bradfield

Guest Zeenat Aman
Is it him on the first album? I really like him too if it is...

Yes' date=' it is him on [i']In the Court of the Crimson King he also sang on a few songs from their second album In the Wake of Poseidon.

I love his vocal on Take A Pebble from ELP's first album... sublime!

Yes' date=' it is him on [i']In the Court of the Crimson King he also sang on a few songs from their second album In the Wake of Poseidon.

I love his vocal on Take A Pebble from ELP's first album... sublime!

Take a Pebble is gorgeous :) I don't think Greg Lake's voice is that good in all the songs but it seems to fit with the music perfectly anyway, like on the Endless Enigma.

Oh and I love Pete Brown's voice! And Jon Anderson! And the Caravan singer! And .. Steve Howe! Or not. Although I do find it endearing that he tries to sing.

Even though this will make me sound like a broken record, Tod Ashley of Cop Shoot Cop/Firewater has an amazing voice - like a more melodic Tom Waits.

I have also recently been impressed by the voice of Amanda Palmer of the Dresden Dolls. Her voice can carry a great deal of emotion without any loss of vocal quality.