aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Guest onlynik

Greatest rock voice?

Guest onlynik

For me it would have to be Freddie Mercury, he had a great range with pure passion to go with it.

The Patton. His voice is just amazing. In fact I was thinking that to myself this afternoon while listening to "Point And Click" and "God Hates A Coward" by Tomahawk. High-pitched, deep-pitched, growls, screams, delicate whispers... Mike Patton has it ALL!

I am a rock ignoramus (I prefer Townsend's plaintive demos to Daltrey's overkill), but if I had to pick a "rock" voice I second Robert Plant, with Ian Gillan in there somewhere. Others I like include Terry Reid, Jeff Buckley (and his Dad), Roger Chapman and Kevin Coyne.

James Hetfield

mwahahahahaha, you're tellin me he has the greatest rock voice???? - go listen to metallicas first album. James doing frog impressions.

You too? I thought I was the only one!

I don't mind Daltrey on early stuff like My Generation etc, but as gets more sure of himself the feeling disappears. Pete doing 'So sad about us' on Scoop is wonderful, despite being cut off too soon.

Talking of vocal ranges (as Hog was)...Jeff & Tim Buckley could fairly swoop and soar. Anyone else like Yma Sumac the 50s singer, supposedly from the Andes? She's got an amazing range!!

Devin Townsend (shock horror) He has a vocal range Mercury could of only dreamed of.

See, much as i love you Hog and have enhoyed the Devin stuff you've sent me, you're just being silly ;)

Go and listen to A night at the Opera, or Sheer heart attack and hear the amazing different styles of singing.

Cheers

Stuart

mwahahahahaha' date=' you're tellin me he has the greatest rock voice???? - go listen to metallicas first album. James doing frog impressions.[/quote']

Thats the thing about opinionsWe all have different ones. "go listen to metallica's first album" oh thanks for that because Ive never heard kill em all before :rolleyes:

Why dont YOU listen to the black album/load/reload/S&M and you might hear what im talking about

Maynard (TOOL & APC), Chris Cornell,Eddie Vedder, Steve Hogarth (Marillion), Roger Waters/David Gilmour/Rick Wright (Pink Floyd) and Jerry Cantrell/Layne Staley (AIC).

These guys are my favourite singers.

Chris Cornell, Layne Staley, Guy McKnight (Eighties Matchbox), Skin, Jessicka (Jack Off Jill), Chino Moreno, Mike Patton & Chad Hanks (American Head Charge) for me :)

See' date=' much as i love you Hog and have enhoyed the Devin stuff you've sent me, you're just being silly ;)

Go and listen to A night at the Opera, or Sheer heart attack and hear the amazing different styles of singing.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Im being serious! And I can/will prove it!

i'd say

1 )freddie mercury

2 )robert plant

3 )ian gillan

4 )graham bonnet

5 )david coverdale

6 )elvis presley

7 )james dean bradfield

8 )steve tyler

9 )meat loaf

10 )jon bon jovi