aberdeen-music

best venue - fma2005

The Ghost Of Fudge

Guest stuartmaxwell
Come on people ross has done so much to make moshulu a great venue this last year. Think of some of the bands he is getting up to aberdeen.

er not a chance,

a) most bands are supported by the "house" band my minds weapon

b) most bands are those who are in a "now" & "trendy" sound, samey

c) no distinct variety in the bands he gets in

d) moshulus sound is average

e) moshulu quickly shuffles you outta door once gig is finished

good luck to him as he is a good guy an he has done well with the place

ive had this arguement with you and your poo bum chums before about drakes

they are continually putting on different musical genres and are getting people into more genres of music.

There is a fair diversity of bands coming up to moshulu nowadays. And he gets very good acts so what if they are slightly more famous what is wrong with that?? As for weapon being the house band haha ive got to laugh at that, i think point played the same amount of times at moshulu as weapon have done over the last 6 months, but no-one said anything about that.

At the end of the day i may be biased because we got to play with one of my all time fav bands sugarcult which by the way was an amazing feat for ross to pull of considering they then went to support greenday and new found glory the week after in america. they will never play venues that small in britain so for him to get them was awesome.

Anyway i suppose it comes down to taste at the end of the day.

Oh yeah poo bum chums?? what???

Come on people ross has done so much to make moshulu a great venue this last year. Think of some of the bands he is getting up to aberdeen.

*blushes*

BUT... I started doing all this in Drakes..... If it wasn't for drakes then i`d probably not have managed to get a foot in the door elsewhere.

In reply to Maxi...

I have a track record promoting "hardcore blah emo blah" bands. Thus the promoters of these bands at various agencies have contacted me. It is very difficult to get "in" with agents at certain agencies and thus it`ll take time.

I`ve tried to book acts across the pop/rock spectrum. Most of the agents I don't have a "repor" with and thus I don't get the booking. Time will tell.

I came very very close to getting Trail Of The Dead in December. Sadly not.. ho hum.

My thoughts...

Regardless of what folks say, where each individual prefers to hang out, what musical taste they have, I believe that Aberdeen has some of the most diverse gigs happening in Scotland. We are very lucky to have so many promoters willingly pushing gigs that more often than not are a big financial risk(proportionate to each venue). So I say go out every fucking night, go to all the venues and spend your fucking money on nothing else but live music (and ear plugs) ye shower oh cheap bastards :up::band::music::finger::rockon::kiss:

Jim

er not a chance' date='

e) moshulu quickly shuffles you outta door once gig is finished

[/quote']

Given that gigs often take place on Mondays, Fridays and Saturdays that's hardly a surprise since each of these nights have a clubnight straight after. I seem to remember Ross or someone saying that the money for putting on the gig in the first place comes from the clubnights, it would therefore make sense to want to get the place tidied up before opening the doors again and in order to get the place cleaned up the place needs to be clear.

My vote would go to moshulu for the sheer hard work Ross has put into getting bands like Blaze, Sugarcult, Hell is For Heroes, Aerogramme, Therapy? to play Aberdeen. Every gig I've been to there has had a good atmosphere and I've thought the sound was good too.

Here's to next year, may it bring even more great gigs like the ones we've been lucky enough to see this year.

Well, I like the new improved Moorings, and thought Moshulu was good the few times I've been, but Drakes will always get my vote thanks to its willingness to put up with senior citizens like myself, Chilli, Graeme etc :up: as well as all you bright young "scenies". Mind you, we keep up with what's hip....Chilli is getting into Freddie & The Dreamers, Graeme's bought a Honeycombs 45 and Twoback Joe has turned me onto the Singing Nun (or did he turn me into the Singing Nun.....I won't get into the habit of it, anyway). :band:

We have done everything in our power to stop you foggies coming into the bar but it seems that your determination to stay young surpasses our 'enforcing rules' ability! That sort of desire has to be rewarded which we do with patience! You are all so slow when moving around the venue! Cheeeesh... You all need to shave yer heeds and get a silly beard! It disguises actual age! :punk:

We have done everything in our power to stop you foggies coming into the bar but it seems that your determination to stay young surpasses our 'enforcing rules' ability! That sort of desire has to be rewarded which we do with patience! You are all so slow when moving around the venue! :

But graceful, in a doddery sort of way. We lend Drakes an air of experience allied to our strange, aged odours. Plus we keep your Wincarnis sales high!

The problem with Moshulu, I found, is that if you don't move fast you stick to the carpet, and vicious youths such as Jake the Ape, Philip 'headbutt' Johnston, Shaun F(it you lookin' at min?) etc use you as a punchbag in passing.

The Moorings is fine, apart from the chance of catching the 'SitARS' virus, being carried by Rory etc, or being stalked by Psydoll wearing his 'Don't Look Now' red hooded coat. Plus there's the added threat of assault by the 'Skittles/Gilly' gang.

I've a lot of time for the Malt Mill, especially when Simon is in residence on a Monday, or when there's live football on. Plus it's near my flat.

Kef I've been in twice, but liked the little cushioned rooms. If only they had copies of SAGA magazine!!

The Lemon Tree has great music too, plus nice staff, but it doesn't have that small club ambience.

So Drakes it is, for me, despite Twoback joe's cruelty (he hid one of Graeme's slippers last week, put acid in Chilli's footspa and cut a hole in my incontinence pants....but that little jape backfired on him later!).

The Moorings is fine' date=' apart from the chance of catching the 'SitARS' virus, being carried by Rory etc, or being stalked by Psydoll wearing his 'Don't Look Now' red hooded coat. Plus there's the added threat of assault by the 'Skittles/Gilly' gang.

[/quote']

Ace i have a gang, although i've only been in the moorings with them once

im usually in there with other peeps.

Drakes would usually get my vote, but me being a lazy bastard I think my vote will go to the Malt Mill only because it's closer to me.

Musicwise - Drakes

Comfortwise - The Malt Mill