aberdeen-music

Worrying trend.

Alkaline

Hmmm,

since when did these boards become such a dictatorship, the amount of thread closing that goes on on here for such tiny things like file sharing advice is unbelievable.

It's funny though 'cause i'm sure the moderators involved in shutting these threads down do as much of those sorts of things themselves as anyone else. What's wrong with giving advice?

As far as a legal standpoint goes it's not illegal to give advice on these subjects so why close the threads down. Seems a bit over the top.

I expect this thread'll probably get closed as well because it's addressing these issues. Ah well, i've only got five minutes left on the internment camp computer before my torture session kicks in. Later.

:dunce:

i think there is un-needed thread closing here.

like the one about paintshop. its not like everyone knows if there are freeware versions or not, or even free alternatives. these are things that could be discussed in such thread?

how about just deleting the posts touching on illegal subjects.

but asking if you can where download a free version of some software shouldnt be a problem.

i can however understand a thread asking for a crack or serial number being closed.

Guest onlynik

I would say there has been a worrying trend lately of people posting and asking for clearly illegal things, be it mp3s, warez apps or serials. The threads are closed because this is against the rules. The rules clearly state that "Material that is knowingly defamatory, illegal, abusive, racist, threatening or harassing, is strictly prohibited. As with anything, you, as a registered member, should use good common sense when posting. Posts and threads containing personal attacks on other members will be edited/closed/deleted at the forum moderators discretion."

Now, I can fully appreciate that people will ask question from time to time on legitamate issues, "wherecan I get ..... cheaper, best site to buy xyz from", unfortunatley alot of people post " You can get it here for free!!!!" To ignore that fact that the activites go one wopuld be niave but, please keep them off these boards.

Thank you for your co operation

Nik

i think there is un-needed thread closing here.

like the one about paintshop. its not like everyone knows if there are freeware versions or not' date=' or even free alternatives. these are things that could be discussed in such thread?

how about just deleting the posts touching on illegal subjects.

but asking if you can where download a free version of some software shouldnt be a problem.

i can however understand a thread asking for a crack or serial number being closed.[/quote']

This is my point, it's a board for discussion so these things should feasibly be allowed to be discussed. Don't see wot the problem with that is. A lot of it looks like an over-protective approach from the moderators to cover their own backs if something goes wrong. As for Camie's point, no actually the message board itself can not legally be held accountable for anything like that posted on here.

I mean if you operate under these guidelines anyone using language deemed innapropriate should be banned under the 'obscene' content rule. Lots of people find stuff like that offensive.

But the real issue is that people are free to make choices for themselves, and if they want to discuss filesharing then they should be allowed to. People can choose not to read the posts if they want.

This is my point' date=' it's a board for discussion so these things should feasibly be allowed to be discussed. Don't see wot the problem with that is. A lot of it looks like an over-protective approach from the moderators to cover their own backs if something goes wrong. As for Camie's point, no actually the message board itself can not legally be held accountable for anything like that posted on here.

I mean if you operate under these guidelines anyone using language deemed innapropriate should be banned under the 'obscene' content rule. Lots of people find stuff like that offensive.

But the real issue is that people are free to make choices for themselves, and if they want to discuss filesharing then they should be allowed to. People can choose not to read the posts if they want.[/quote']

I don't mind people discussing software they use or whatever as long as it doesn't descend into a discussion about pirate software, cracks, key generators, serial numbers and the like. In short, keep it legal. Because if it's illegal then it has no place anywhere on this web site as far as I'm concerned.

Just like we don't tolerate people making posts looking for drug dealers (yes, people have been stupid enough to do that before), we also don't tolerate people looking for pirate software. It's as simple as that.

And as a side note, a web site can be held legally accountable for it's content. Although for this web site specifically, I've tried to mitigate the risk of this ever becoming an issue with a rather explicit disclaimer and set of rules - all of which you and every other member has agreed to follow during your registration.

And as a side note' date=' a web site [b']can be held legally accountable for it's content. Although for this web site specifically, I've tried to mitigate the risk of this ever becoming an issue with a rather explicit disclaimer and set of rules - all of which you and every other member has agreed to follow during your registration.

yes a website can be held accountable for it's content, however technically this ain't a website for that issue it's dealt with in a different way. the only person who can be held accountable for a suspect post on a forum or message board is the poster. the most you'd get would be a slap on the wrist and told to moderate the site better.

I think it's fairly clear cut what should and shouldn't be moderated as regards filesharing etc. Discussing it isn't really a problem, but encouraging or assisting anyone else to break the law by posting links, serial nos or whatever is a no-go.

the most you'd get would be a slap on the wrist and told to moderate the site better.

why wait for the slap' date=' shouldn't we moderate properly now?

Moderating offensive material is a bit more tricky though, and is more of a judgement call. Personally I didn't like the 'best website ever' thread, but decided it wasn't actually offensive in itself. It is being watched carefully though. One particular link was removed for obvious reasons, and the poster was warned.

a thing i want to know is how mr maxwell got a post in after the thread was closed?

He got in just seconds before I closed it, that's all.

Guest stuartmaxwell

mwahahaha i have super powers

it was just last week that i got a pm from frosty jack informing me that because i provided so much entertainment, wisdom and much traffic to the board that i would get superpowers

ive seen everyones pms an everything :dunce:

see that huntedbyafreak??he has cybersex via pms with neil ex

lesterburnham?oh aye, she was telling psydoll what she would like to do to him next time she sees him out :down: its not nice!

ye i wasent looking for a key gen or crack with my paintshop thread i was looking for a website resource to download at a cheaper price witch i beleive is not against the law. and the reason for closing? "it may turn into am ilegal discussion" . any thread runs the risk of turning into breaking the rules, everything else i would like to say "ALKALINE" has added already