aberdeen-music

Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100

Foreskin Ninja

overkill

unless you are playing big stages there is no real need for an amp that big, i have the DSL401(40watt 1x12 combo) and it is more than loud enough to go against a loud drummer... (getting cleans at that volume too) you should never need more volume than that either, and somewhere bigger should definately have a pa to run everything through

if you are intending playing at home i doubt you would get that over 1 or 2 on the master voluem, maybe a little more if you are playing rather loud (which i doubt your parents would be too pleased about)

note, as it is a valve amp, it will sound better as you turn up the volume and get the valves cooking, playing at bedroom voluems wont do that amp justice

the TSL601/601 (whether you want a 1x12 or 2x12) would probably be a more practical amp, its a slightly smaller wattage (though still overkill for bedroom playing and more than loud enough for stage) and smaller and more portable, and the 2x12 should give you a decent spread of sound if you need a bit more than a 1x12

i am not saying it is a bad amp, as it shoudl sound amazing when you get it up to volume, just there are more practical alternatives out there

personally i prefer the DSL series, less knobs = less to fuck up :D

David

I say buy it and get an attenuator. This lets you crank the amp up to any volume you like. The attenuator is the placed between amp and cab. It acts like a volume control for cab meaning that although the amps at 10 you can choose how much volume is acctually heard.

Three main choices; Marshall Powerbrake, Webber Mass Attenuator and the THD Hot Plates. The Marshall and THD turn the excess energy into heat using resistors but the Webber uses the motor from a speaker so the energy is turned into movement <all done in the box so you can't see/hear anything>. You can read up on them on various sites but from what I have read/heard Webber seems best...you could ask Craig from Dedenstero <sp?> that band from Edinburgh...he has the webber.

Also I would try DSL as well. The TSL has a nice glassey clean but I think the DSL had better drive/crunch. Plus DSL has clean w/ a crunch switch and the drive has two settings. So your getting 4 sounds from the amp instead of two...plus if you need inbetween crunch or boost for solo...get an overdrive pedal or something...so your effectivly getting 3 channels. Oh at you get the 50 watt version which is easier to crank up so you get better sounds at lower volumes...you get the TSL in a 60 watt version too? I would go for it over 100.

Oh yeah as for the combos of the TSL/DSL amps it's not the same circuitry so your not getting the same sound in a smaller package. Plus 4x12" cabs sound better...got a nice air to the sound...tried a 2x12" and it was punchy but still not as good. Also stacks look cool...

you should never need more volume than that either' date=' and somewhere bigger should definately have a pa to run everything through[/quote']

Sorry, but this is just not the case. Some large venues have a pathetic PA, or no mic'ing of guitar cabs. Some venues also have real shitty monitors, and you can't hear what you're playing through them. In these cases, you can use your stack to good effect either as FOH level, or to give you enough on-stage volume to be able to hear yourself.

Also the misconception that a combo valve amp is "just the same" as a head is incorrect. Most combos use less meaty transformers, meaning that they are less able to drive a 4x12 at big volume. Otherwise we'd all buy combos and a 4x12, eh?

Since getting my JCM800 2203, I don't like the sound of my JCM2000 DSL 50 so much for what I play. However, I like it a lot better than the sound of the TSL series! The modern amps sound very compressed and anal on their overdrive channels, but if you like external effects then you can get close with the clean channel only. However, nothing beats the roar of an 800, and it really is a roar! I modded mine a little so I don't need to use a pedal, and I love it. Really beefy fat sound, totall R'n'R. But in the end, it's all personal preference, and your ears will tell you best what to buy.

TSLs are pretty good at low volumes, and open up even more at high volumes.

The DSL50/100 have a good rep - you should try them out.

But, you'll be happy with one of those.

As a second reccomendation, check out an Engl Thunder or Screamer. I have the Thunder 50 head - it rocks the big one. it's 3 channels, the screamer is 4 with a solo boost.

Pretty similar pricing.

Laney VH or GH 100 heads have a good rep.

Craig

I hate the look of the TSL.....dunno if they're basing it on the rectifier or not, but I don't it suits all those knobs, it looks cluttered...DSL100 is the amp of my choice, as its basically my two fave amps in one... the 1959SLP and the JCM800 2203... Rob's right, the distorted channel is a bit thin...mine has actually blown and just sounds like a trebly piece of shit right now, but the clean channel on crunch setting is the closest thing to a jcm800 I'll ever have so I'm happy with that.

1959slpunit.jpg

How sweet are these though? I ain't played one in years....

As far as saying that it's too loud, one of the things that I thought was really cool about it is the Power Reduction Switch, which reduces the output to 25 Watts. I don't want to buy a lower end amp and then get the desire to upgrade a bit down the line, since amps arn't exactly cheap. The TSL just seems to fit all needs.

And Keilan, I added you to MSN a week or two ago and you've still not been on, did you die?

Aye Pete even at 25watts it'll still be way to loud to crank in your house...these are valves baby! I heard a Marshall JMP45 which is a mere 33.3watts of all tube power at 10. The guy only played it for about 20seconds strumming an A as it was way too loud. It alone sounded like a whole band playing in a room of capt. toms. t'was insaneness.

Aye Pete even at 25watts it'll still be way to loud to crank in your house...these are valves baby! I heard a Marshall JMP45 which is a mere 33.3watts of all tube power at 10. The guy only played it for about 20seconds strumming an A as it was way too loud. It alone sounded like a whole band playing in a room of capt. toms. t'was insaneness.

Sounds perfect. ;)

I might buy GraemeC's cab that he's got up for sale too, that way I save like 200 on the price of a new one. I guess that depends on it's age and condition, two things that he hasn't specified in the thread about it. :/

If its the one he was selling before then I think it has a few marks/tears but nothing too bad. Remember Aberdeen = expensive. Merchant city music is glasgow were doing a TSL + cab for 999 a while back. I managed to get RnB to agree 960 for DSL and 4x12" but decided to build a tele instead lol.

I figured you'd be more a Mesa or Randall man. All that high-gain squeely business.

Wouldnt complain. My first choice though would be the old Peavey 5150 head. I used to have a Marshall head and cab which I stupidly sold, loved it. I used the distortion from my pedal though, not from the head.

I used the distortion from my pedal though' date=' not from the head.[/quote']

Yeah, but in that case why fork out for an amp with a bunch of channels? You're not overdriving the signal with it, instead using your external FX for that, so you'd be as well buying a transistor amp or anything else that gives you the power and volume needed without altering the tone or drive of your external fx much. I use valve amps because I like their overdrive sounds and hate the electronic distortions I've heard or used. Otherwise I'd save myself the cash and use it for better/more FX.

Ebay tho, Sir Hog. Get ye to ebay. Got my 2203 for 300 including delivery... 100W, mint condition 1986 model, great quality valves in it, been an absolute rock since!

DSL100 is the amp of my choice' date=' as its basically my two fave amps in one... the 1959SLP and the JCM800 2203... Rob's right, the distorted channel is a bit thin...mine has actually blown and just sounds like a trebly piece of shit right now, but the clean channel on crunch setting is the closest thing to a jcm800 I'll ever have so I'm happy with that.[/quote']

See, the press always said that the DSL was just like a 2203 hotrodded, etc. But now I have one, I can't get my DSL to sound the same or as beefy no matter what I do! Maybe it's something to do with the 2203's 3 pre-amp valves and the DSLs 4. Nothing sounds like a 2203, except another 2203, and that's why they re-issued them. If you're a rock 'n' roller, there has never been a better amp made than the originals. Plug in a good guitar, and rock your socks off!

Keilan, you too need to sell that DSL and get a 2203 on ebay... I'll hotrod the sucker for free!

Yeah' date=' but in that case why fork out for an amp with a bunch of channels? You're not overdriving the signal with it, instead using your external FX for that, so you'd be as well buying a transistor amp or anything else that gives you the power and volume needed without altering the tone or drive of your external fx much. I use valve amps because I like their overdrive sounds and hate the electronic distortions I've heard or used. Otherwise I'd save myself the cash and use it for better/more FX.

Ebay tho, Sir Hog. Get ye to ebay. Got my 2203 for 300 including delivery... 100W, mint condition 1986 model, great quality valves in it, been an absolute rock since![/quote']

Its because I dont know much about amps, just like playing guitar ha ha. Serious, thats a steal for 300. I do love ebay, I bought my last 3 guitars from Ebay. I do agree that electronic distortions can be quite crap although I have one distortion from my zoom 3030 which I spent ages fine tuning until I was happy.

I have killed about 3 Dsl/Tsl's They had a design fault on the power supply which Marshall did not change(not sure if they have now) The amps where being used in the studio and where cranked a bit:D but the transformer started to melt:( I have never had any problem with the JCM800 2203(which can sound fat if you drive the output and not the gain) even when run at very silly volume's (I broke a Soldano trying to match it) I did find the 2000's to be quit thin and didnt really give much balls, so it was mainly used for the lead/solo sounds and let the Jcm800/Fender Twin do all the meat of the tracks.

I have killed about 3 Dsl/Tsl's They had a design fault on the power supply which Marshall did not change(not sure if they have now) The amps where being used in the studio and where cranked a bit:D but the transformer started to melt:( I have never had any problem with the JCM800 2203(which can sound fat if you drive the output and not the gain) even when run at very silly volume's (I broke a Soldano trying to match it) I did find the 2000's to be quit thin and didnt really give much balls' date=' so it was mainly used for the lead/solo sounds and let the Jcm800/Fender Twin do all the meat of the tracks.[/quote']

MTA, you're my hero! :)

Could this flaw be why my DSL 50 has been through 3 OPTs in 4 years?! How come Marshall keep fixing it for free (warranty) but not the root cause? Can you point me somewhere I might be able to suss how to do the work myself?? Since I changed a few resistors in my 2203, it sounds fab and fat. I plug my EMG-HZ Viper 301 straight in and it rocks the biggie. My 2203 has a Drake transformer, which have a great reputation for strength and reliability.

No, I don't sleep with my 2203. I find it gets frisky in the morning and wakes me up... :p

MTA' date=' you're my hero! :)

Could this flaw be why my DSL 50 has been through 3 OPTs in 4 years?! How come Marshall keep fixing it for free (warranty) but not the root cause? Can you point me somewhere I might be able to suss how to do the work myself?? Since I changed a few resistors in my 2203, it sounds fab and fat. I plug my EMG-HZ Viper 301 straight in and it rocks the biggie. My 2203 has a Drake transformer, which have a great reputation for strength and reliability.

No, I don't sleep with my 2203. I find it gets frisky in the morning and wakes me up... :p[/quote']

that woud be about the same time I wass messing about with them, so it could well be the same thing, you could ask the engineer what he thinks, or if there could be another problem. As for the 2203:D:D what can I say!! one of the best heads they have made, Pure valve all the way:) the only other of the same quality would be the Jtm45 (designed by the same chap)