aberdeen-music

Bought the Maple album and McLusky Do Dallas yesterday

HummerOfIntenseEvil

The Maple album is good... but it sounds an awful lot like early Pixies. In fact, it's almost like out-takes from the Surfer Rosa sessions, but with a different singer. Not yet sure to what extent this is a criticism though. But it doesn't help that the guitars have the EXACT same tone as Joey Santiago's.

McLusky - McLusky Do Dallas: Also sounds like early Pixies. What are the chances of that happening? Saying that, the producer is Steve Albini, so perhaps it's not completely the band's fault. Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues is a great tune though.

I feel I should point out here that, for a while, Pixies were one of my top ten bands, although my interest in them has waned considerably over the past couple of years. So I'm not necessarily saying "they sound like the Pixies, that makes them shit" or anything.

sounds to me like they are on the right track then. No band is totally original and to be compared to the pixies is ace.

True, but there's a difference between having a sound that resembles someone else and actually sounding EXACTLY the same... I dunno, I just think that it sounds like a poor man's Surfer Rosa, and if I was wanting to listen to songs like that, I'd put on Surfer Rosa.

However, I may change my mind. But just to reiterate, I'm not actually saying Maple are shit.

I think they are valid points...

mind you, more recently, I've had people say we sound like the strokes now (not the pixies), there is no doubt that C has been majorly influenced by the Pixies (we've listenend to them since 1988!)...

I am just glad someone is talking about the maple LP ! ho ho.

Vic Galloway loves it, lets hope that someone in the right place, at the right time hears it...and see what happens from there...

I think they are valid points...

mind you' date=' more recently, I've had people say we sound like the strokes now (not the pixies), there is no doubt that C has been majorly influenced by the Pixies (we've listenend to them since 1988!)...

I am just glad someone [i']is talking about the maple LP ! ho ho.

Vic Galloway loves it, lets hope that someone in the right place, at the right time hears it...and see what happens from there...

Yeah, when, me and kenny were discussing it i likened one song to "reptilia" by the strokes.

Guest Mr Blastcap

strokes reference

one of the songs does sound like the strokes, that one that goes "take it or leave it" etc.

see, i was supporting the local music scene when i went and bought maple and eric euans cds. the maple cd has got good artwork like, its no too shabby though. eric euans cd is prety cool also particularly the mental guitar noises they remind me of vintage flaming lips.

you boys need to buy some bloodbrothers...(crimes being the new one out).

peep

Huzzah! Have 'Crimes' and the previous album, both fantastic. Camp hardcore, nothing like it! Though I do wish to get the Maple album, however much like the pixies/libertines/mcfly it sounds, but I shall wait until next time I'm in Aberdeen at One-Up, oh, the nostalgia...