aberdeen-music

Modern Music = Image Based

Ross

Following a post in the "Emo" Thread I thought i`d make this thread as I feel this will provoke an interesting debate. As opposed to that band is shot this band is better usual tosh.

NU Metal was all about the image

Punk is all about the image

Emo is all about the image

In general all new music is all about the image. In order for it to become marketable. I blame Smash Hits.

Rock music is no longer the bastion of ugly people. Girls want to pin pictures of their favourite bands to their walls and idolise them as much as those who love Justin/Bros/Michael Jackson/Take That/New Kids/N Sync/Backstreet Boys.

Sadly it's not all about the music

Some sweeping statements for you:

90% of Grind/Black/Death Metal Fans own a Slayer T Shirt

90% of Taking Back Sunday fans own a studded belt

90% of Belle & Sebastian fans own a Duffle Coat.

90% of Death Cab for Cutie fans own a scarf that is longer than 1 and a half metres.

90% of 90`s "Grungers" own a flannel shirt

90% of Stone Roses fans own a beach hat.

90% of Green day fans own 3/4 length shorts

90% of HIM fans own a long black trench coat

90% of Cradle Of Filth fans own the infamous "Jesus" t shirt

90% of original punk rockers own combat trousers or 12 holer "cherry red" DMs

90% of rudeboys/skinheads/scooter boys own a fred perry polo shirt and green/wine/black flyer jacket.

Discuss

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often wondered about this. It's quite interesting to see a group of people.. and they all dress differently from each other, and all seem to fit into a different trend .. but their trend is matched with countless others from other groups.

I'm not trying to say i don't fit into a trend and i'm 100% unique but i have to say I found your list pretty amusing.. and it's probably only because I don't fit into any of the categories.

I own:

2 Metre Scarf which is itchy as fook.

Flannel Shirt

DMs with tartan laces

Tartan Bondage Trousers with Chains.

Green Flyer Jacket

Thus you`d expect me to be a fan of:

Death Cab and underground US "indie"

90s Grunge

70s & 80s Two Tone & Punk Rock.

Hmmmm..... I am a fashion victim

I own:

2 Metre Scarf which is itchy as fook.

Flannel Shirt

DMs with tartan laces

Tartan Bondage Trousers with Chains.

Green Flyer Jacket

Thus you`d expect me to be a fan of:

Death Cab and underground US "indie"

90s Grunge

70s & 80s Two Tone & Punk Rock.

Hmmmm..... I am a fashion victim

you have bondage trousers!!!!!!!!!

man, I so wanted a pair of bondage trousers but could not afford them

however, many eons ago, a shop called 'Slaughter' which was next to the anarchist centre on king street used to sell 'bondage kits' they were ace, so I made my own.

I have often wondered about this. It's quite interesting to see a group of people.. and they all dress differently from each other' date=' and all seem to fit into a different trend .. but their trend is matched with countless others from other groups.

I'm not trying to say i don't fit into a trend and i'm 100% unique but i have to say I found your list pretty amusing.. and it's probably only because I don't fit into any of the categories.[/quote']

Only thing i`ve not included is the UK "Underground indie" fans.... Can't think of that sweeping a statement.....

Errr...

90% of Joy Division / Interpol / FF fans own a narrow tie (Leather optional)

Somewhere I have an grey 80s leather tie...... Wore it at a muso thing my dad was at when I has about 7odd (circa 1986)

Oh.....

90% of folk fans have had a beard..... even the ladies!

90% of Grind/Black/Death Metal Fans own a Slayer T Shirt

90% of Taking Back Sunday fans own a studded belt

90% of Belle & Sebastian fans own a Duffle Coat.

90% of Death Cab for Cutie fans own a scarf that is longer than 1 and a half metres.

90% of 90`s "Grungers" own a flannel shirt

90% of Stone Roses fans own a beach hat.

90% of Green day fans own 3/4 length shorts

90% of HIM fans own a long black trench coat

90% of Cradle Of Filth fans own the infamous "Jesus" t shirt

90% of original punk rockers own combat trousers or 12 holer "cherry red" DMs

90% of rudeboys/skinheads/scooter boys own a fred perry polo shirt and green/wine/black flyer jacket.

I'm a fan of most of the bands bar perhaps Death Cab (needs more listening to methinks) and only fit into one of the 90% things there :)

A shiny ten penny piece for the first person to guess it correctly :D

I would only half agree with the original post. Yes, people who like/play the same type of music do tend to wear the same kind of clothes but I don't think it's a fashion thing. I mean, if you like the same music or are influenced by the same things as other people doing simular things, then surely that spills over into what you'd wear as well? Or, if you think a band sounds cool then the chances are you think they look cool so you copy them.

At the end of the day, image doesn't mean jack if the music is bad though. Imaged and styled pop bands are 10 a penny but there are only a handful that have good enough songs to make an impact and have more than one record.

Reading this just stirred a very fuzzy memory from last Saturday in Moshulu - some guy came up to the bar I was supporting and said something like -

"Like Paul Weller then?"

Me- "Um, no, not really"

"Oh. I just thought...with the jacket and everything...so what about your hair then?"

"Pardon??"

"You must like Paul Weller with that jacket and that hair..."

This was a bit of a shock to me, I must say. Maybe I should think a bit about what I wear in future, beyond purely practical requirements...

I'm confused now. What am I supposed to wear? Any ideas?