aberdeen-music

who the hell are....

Daniel

i think you'll find household name records dont include barcodes and are home to capdown' date=' five knuckle, captain everything etc...some labels like asian man records, boss tuneage dont do contracts...you can have a good label built on trust and a few beers like fierce panda[/quote']

ive always considerd feirce panda to be one of britains top indies

Also once you commit a song to a mechanical media, even if you didn't write it, then the record company owns the rights to that particular recording. If you don't have a release form the the recording company can distribute the record and not pay the artist fuck all. It's a contract to protect both the artist and the company.

It's not a legal requirement to use MCPS for original material, it's just another safety net. It is a legal requirment for MCPS fees for covers.

As for barcodes, essential if you want a record in the charts and most big distributors and stores will not touch records with no barcodes. So if yo want your stuff in Woolies, barcode it. And while many indies don't bother with barcodes I bet they use PPL release forms, because they'd be fucking stupid if they didn't.

Funny' date=' theres a record label called Looney Tunes* who must have released maybe 50 records by now, each usually sells in excess of 5000 (if not more...some of their records have even been spied in the Cavern for the price of 25, so you know they're great records!!! ;)....the two guys behind the label have actually have folk from MCPS at their house demanding they fill out forms and shit, and they have refused, for over 15 years......no barcodes too....

250,000 sales...but I guess they're not really a record label are they ;)

(* and several hundred more similar minded labels around the world)[/quote']

Haha owned.

Come on give him a chance to get his shit in order guys. Im sure not every lable that has started has been perfect from day one. Just because he's young dont mean this isnt going to work out for him.

Haha owned.

Come on give him a chance to get his shit in order guys. Im sure not every lable that has started has been perfect from day one. Just because he's young dont mean this isnt going to work out for him.

I have no problem with him trying, but a bit of research before doing it to something as simple as a release form doesn't seem too much to ask from anyone claiming to start a label. There's a difference between being perfect and making it legally sound. The point of the release form is to protect him as well and its something he should be aware of.

Cheers

Stuart

Haha owned.

Owned my arse. Go and check and I think you'll find that looney tunes use the correct release forms.Barcoding is irrelevant if you're not interested in the charts or woolies, but no label with the output of looney tunes would dream of not protecting themselves or their artists. And relese forms was the issue, not barcodes.

How is it you trendy scenie types put it? oh yes. Ha Ha, owned.

I dont think Jester was trying to put Ewan SSR down in any way, just giving advice which Im sure is always welcome if you have a label which hasnt been on the go for a long time. I personally believe that Release forms are a good idea, some DIY labels dont bother with them, fair enough, each to there own.

Peace and Harmony

Hog :up: