aberdeen-music

who the hell are....

Daniel

don't all labels start as ideas?

True but most labels know what a release form is, and when asked why they never got release forms for their releases came up with something better than 'it's too much hassle'.

The release will protect the label and the artist. Fair enough its a learning curve but there is research that should be done to protect the artist and the label before you start. This isn't a dig, more just I think that people will not look on SSR as a professional company until he has that kind of thing sorted.

Cheers

Stuart

Pardon my ignorance' date=' but i dont understand what you mean.[/quote']

It was mainly meant as a negative comment to anyone who'd rag on Moshulu, Spike, MMw, 7SR, F&TRB or whoever over a message board and expect it to be any kind of genuine diss.

The fact he [Daniel] lists being a 'programer' on his profile made me focus on his spelling mistake.

I hate spelling mistakes.

It was mainly meant as a negative comment to anyone who'd rag on Moshulu' date=' Spike, MMw, 7SR, F&TRB or whoever over a message board and expect it to be any kind of genuine diss.

The fact he [Daniel'] lists being a 'programer' on his profile made me focus on his spelling mistake.

Ah, I understand

Apoligies for my lack of thinking

:help:

It was mainly meant as a negative comment to anyone who'd rag on Moshulu' date=' Spike, MMw, 7SR, F&TRB or whoever over a message board and expect it to be any kind of genuine diss.

The fact he [Daniel'] lists being a 'programer' on his profile made me focus on his spelling mistake.

tell you what ill take it off.

anyway im serously not dissing this label, all i wanted to know is litterally who they are. if i was taking the piss out of them i would say somthing evil or cheeky, the school boy thing i got from another thread, i have only joint these boreds a few weeks ago and had no idea about the pictures posted of that ewan guy.

anyway their website doesent have much info on them, i just wonderd if they were still around or have given up

Strictly speaking a label is not a label unless it is a member of PPL because it won't be using the appropriate release forms. It should also, idealy, barcode its products. It should also fill out MCPS forms, even for original material.

If it doesn't do all that, I would avoid it.

Strictly speaking a label is not a label unless it is a member of PPL because it won't be using the appropriate release forms. It should also' date=' idealy, barcode its products. It should also fill out MCPS forms, even for original material.

If it doesn't do all that, I would avoid it.[/quote']

Agreed, I'm not sure he knows what MCPS is tho, I'm against anyone signing for anyone who doesn't protect the artist or the label by at least researching proper ways of doing things. I think that if he's serious about SSR in any way shape or form then do it right from the beginning, find out procedure, get contracts drawn up and go for it,

Cheers

Stuart

Strictly speaking a label is not a label unless it is a member of PPL because it won't be using the appropriate release forms. It should also' date=' idealy, barcode its products. It should also fill out MCPS forms, even for original material.

If it doesn't do all that, I would avoid it.[/quote']

Funny, theres a record label called Looney Tunes* who must have released maybe 50 records by now, each usually sells in excess of 5000 (if not more...some of their records have even been spied in the Cavern for the price of 25, so you know they're great records!!! ;)....the two guys behind the label have actually have folk from MCPS at their house demanding they fill out forms and shit, and they have refused, for over 15 years......no barcodes too....

250,000 sales...but I guess they're not really a record label are they ;)

(* and several hundred more similar minded labels around the world)

Funny' date=' theres a record label called Looney Tunes* who must have released maybe 50 records by now, each usually sells in excess of 5000 (if not more...some of their records have even been spied in the Cavern for the price of 25, so you know they're great records!!! ;)....the two guys behind the label have actually have folk from MCPS at their house demanding they fill out forms and shit, and they have refused, for over 15 years......no barcodes too....

250,000 sales...but I guess they're not really a record label are they ;)

(* and several hundred more similar minded labels around the world)[/quote']

OK MCPS is in general a good thing for musicians, and a label should be looking out for musicians well being as i see it. The other thing is I'm pretty sure he sends the artists he wants to release things like release forms. Something whihc is important to protect both label and artist. No offense but anyone who's excuse for not sending a release form is 'it's too much hassle' shouldn't be running anything near a label.

Cheers

Stuart

True but most labels know what a release form is' date=' and when asked why they never got release forms for their releases came up with something better than 'it's too much hassle'.

The release will protect the label and the artist. Fair enough its a learning curve but there is research that should be done to protect the artist and the label before you start. This isn't a dig, more just I think that people will not look on SSR as a professional company until he has that kind of thing sorted.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

What the smeg is a release form?

What the smeg is a release form?

Just what it sounds like, a form you sign that states a label has the right to release your stuff. Usually happens if you're putting one track onto a compilation and not signing a deal that would cover the points. It basically states whatever you agree, such as that this song will only ever be used for that one compilation and that the rights etc still all belong to you, and that you agree to them using it. It protects artist and record company. If say, for example SSR release a track by a and because they've saif thats ok, it could be seen by the band as misrepresenting them as signed to SSR and they might decide to change their mind, or something might happen that means they no longer want to be associated with the label. With no release form whats to stop them stating that they didn't give permission for the track to be used and potentially and legally stop the compilation going ahead. A release form basically is a legally binding document signed by both parties stating that the label has got permission to release that song regardless of the band changing their mind. It also allows the artist to make sure that the label only ave the right to release the song once - ususally. If you as an act suddenly become famous it stops the label putting out what you may later deem to be substandard recordings of you, and misrepresenting you, and making money off the back of you that you may never see. Some bands are happy to go ahead as KirkT pointed out without the legal assurances etc, but I have to admit it's not something I'm particularly comfortable with, not in this day anf age.

Cheers

Stuart