aberdeen-music

curiosity

YETI

ok i made you look...... hem sorry just kidding

we-ell.....

ok, right (left) and so on

my curiosity is as follows:

y in a band all that really matters is the singer and the lead guitarist?

this is not a rant or a moan ar just some aranoid induced fenomena in my mind it is true, in a band most people care just about the singer and the lead guitarist sometime the second guitarist (always if the letter is singer as well) but noone gives a flying monkey (dangerous at night) about drummer and bass player...

could you explain y?

well in e106 its easy the hogster is such a social butterfly whore and he just knows about everybody in abdn. the tonster although more introverse is just as well.

when i was a kid i remember this thing about metallica and megadeth (a bit like the modern blur or oasis but more violent) but what really was just a dispute between hetfild and mustane did enyone ever hear burton or effelson? (burton by a lightyear) or effelson newsted? (effelson by the same distance) or ulrich and whatever drummer was in at the moment? urlich sucks so there is no dispute

and on this note i would only ask all of you the why of this phenomena

please enlighten me

cheers

yeti

Guest Scorge Spike

I only started playing drums to pull ladies, and I am still awaiting a direct hit as a result of my band like (in)abilities, whilst our old singer probably has more STD's than a five quid hooker.

Therefore I see your point completely. :D

Social Butterfly! ;)

I suppose the singer is the person who interacts with the crowd. Lead guitarists are posing attention seeking bastards. Bassists usually tend to be the most solid person in the band IMHO. Drummers, poor things end up miles away from the crowd.

Mustaine and Hetfield both are song writers so its a battle of skill and ego's.

Guest valley69

dont agree at all. In our band the most important part is the bass and vocals then guitar and drums. The pixies, lush, nirvana , breeders, joy division all have bass as a central instrument so i dont agree that lead guitar players get all the focus. In a certain type of band the singers and guitarists get all the attention but some bands work on the notion that everyone has equal input.

I think Yeti was referring to metal bands which can be elitest. However, I reckon a band which is split evenly i.e. nobody is more important than anyone else is a good thing. Bass and drums make up the core of a band IMHO. Without these elements (pardon the pun) there is no backbone.

if you were watching Maiden Taiwan you would probably be desperately trying to ignore the drummer hah!

Besides the view was obscured by that devilishly sexy lead guitarist *ahem*!!

Either that or the crotch-thrusting ladies man Airbag Wiltshire! Or the best from the east mr Mark Benstead!

Damn we were a sexy band!! Except Scorge lol :p

i see all your points but what i am trying to say is: you go watch a band live, they are really good you enjoy yourselfe and the day after what do you remember of that band?

if you answer honestly probably 70% of you will say really angry singer damn fast solo. not really things on the lines of really solid bassist... i will give on the really god drummer but s/he has to be REALLY good to make an impression

also you listen to the radio. neat band comes on and the first thing you notice is again really massive singing and damn good solos...

probably this is influenced by my vew of a band which can be quite rightly compared to a human body and it goes as follows:

drums is the skeleton; you need a frame to hang everything on

bass and second guitar muscles and organs; it gives substance to the song

vocals lead guitar the skin the first thing you look at, is what is on show.

ok i know that there are plenty of exceptions like the red hot chilli peppers, but mine is a generalisation i am going on %

actually' date=' i thoiught drummers geta fair amount of attention.

like, Mastodon. whats the fist thing everyone notices??

saw, on this not, Pig Destroyer have it perfect. one guitar, one vocalist, and a drummer who si fucking ace.

nobody is irrelevant.[/quote']

i never said that elements in a band are irrilevant is just how much the audience notice them never said that the bass/guitar player or drummer or singer is useless is just a fact of hwo is up front getting attention

There's a lot more vocalists and guitarists kicking about as well I'd say so naturally you're more inclined to watch the instruments or parts in a band that you'd want to do perhaps?

Then again if there's a good bass player or drummer onstage I'd say that I'd definitely pick up on them - look at Jeeves in Filthpact or the State Of Affairs drummer - both people I've been REALLY impressed with when watching them at Drakes but I've only briefly played drums myself.

I'm rambling mildly - you have a point sir. I liked the human body comparison as well :)

Would I be going out on a terrible limb if I said that there are either more opportunities as a guitarist or vocalist to be noticed or that there just aren't as many great or 'willing to show their greatness' drummers or bass players as there are vocalists or guitarists?

i agree with you and i have to add that for a bass player in particular is very difficult to get a notice i have tried to do a coupple of solos in songs but the volume of the bass is always and i say ALWAYS too low compared to the guitars... try to do a tapping pattern with 2 lowd fuckers covering you up... is disheartening.........

love you hog and love you jami :D:up:

cheers psy. and i see that you kinda see it like me i agree with the fact that there is an over abbundance of guitarist but again guitar among the lot is the easyest of instruments and i speak out of experience since at some point in my life i have been drummer bassist guitarist and singer so donte anybody go you dont know what is like...

singing is a bit different ne1 can shout down a mic not everyone is guud at it but again you only need 20 squids for your equipment...

drums are really difficult to learn properly and they are expensive very expensive indeed

bass only a few chosen can see the appeal of going bum bum bum on something that has strings the size of your fingers :-)

i agree with you and i have to add that for a bass player in particular is very difficult to get a notice i have tried to do a coupple of solos in songs but the volume of the bass is always and i say ALWAYS too low compared to the guitars... try to do a tapping pattern with 2 lowd fuckers covering you up... is disheartening.........

I'd say the answer is simple - burst free from your bass-constricted cocoon to become a social butterfly, buy a see-through bass and wear 'controversial' t-shirts onstage and then your fans will flock to watch your fingers tap :)

I'd say the answer is simple - burst free from your bass-constricted cocoon to become a social butterfly' date=' buy a see-through bass and wear 'controversial' t-shirts onstage and then your fans will flock to watch your fingers tap :)[/quote']

never i would be taking the blame of getting in the way of the big picture and also if i do that what is hog gonna do? grow his har (lol) and get fat? no i thing ill just have to invest in an eq pedal to boost my volume in those bits... but thanks for the tip neway :up: