aberdeen-music

Aberdeen Geniuses

jester1470

After the comment by Betamax on the previous threads I was interested as to who in Aberdeen in your opinions could be musical geniuses.

My one is someone no-one here knows probably but is the guy Emma and I are working on with the Baby Karma Project, he's an amazing producer, best guitarist I've ever seen, for anyone who's heard the stuff he did with Emma, he is phenomenal. He is multi-talented and is genuinelly one of the best and nicest guys I've ever met, his name is Blair Cunningham and he is phenomenal, and the only person I've met who is imho a musical genius.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the comment by Betamax on the previous threads I was interested as to who in Aberdeen in your opinions could be musical geniuses.

It would very much depend on your definition of "genius". If you mean Mozart-level geniusnamely' date=' real geniusthen I'd go out on (quite a safe) limb and say no-one; if you mean genius in a looser, less absolutely mind-blowingly fantastic levellike a kind of Massive Attack genius, or Trent Reznor/NIN-geniusthen I'm sure there would maybe be one or two people in Aberdeen like that.

He may not be a genius, but much-missed former Wastelander Stripey is rather good at downbeat-esque electronics. And AKA The Fox probably aren't geniuses by anything like traditional standards, but if genius is the ability to create an amazing atmosphere at a gig and get everyone dancing, then I'd hail them the most genius-level musicians in Aberdeen.

Being a great guitarist doesn't make him a genius. Now if he'd invented the guitar' date=' however...

[/quote']

I didn't just say he was a phenomenal guitarist, he is a great producer and highly talented multi intsrumentalist. I know lots of great guitarists who aren't geniuses but he is someone that can create amazing soundscapes on his own right. A truly talented individual who is imho a genius.

Cheers

Stuart

I didn't just say he was a phenomenal guitarist' date=' he is a great producer and highly talented multi intsrumentalist. I know lots of great guitarists who aren't geniuses but he is someone that can create amazing soundscapes on his own right. A truly talented individual who is imho a genius. [/quote']

You've pretty much hit it on the head there: to my mind, John Squire is a better guitarist than Joe Satriani because, though definitely less technically proficient, he can actually write a bloody good song, whereas I don't think Satriani could write a song if his life depended on ithe's all style and no substance.

John Squire is a better guitarist than Joe Satriani because' date=' though definitely less technically proficient, he can actually write a bloody good song, whereas I don't think Satriani could write a song if his life depended on ithe's all style and no substance.[/quote']

That's quite a silly statement... surely that makes Joe Satriani the better GUITARIST, but John Squire the better songwriter?

By your method of determining what makes a good guitarist, Noel Gallagher is actually a better guitarist than Steve Vai because he (arguably) writes better songs? Same would apply to Bob Dylan and John Petrucci (from Dream Theater)

I would also say that both the terms "better songwriter" and "better guitarist" are subjective to the individual, as I for one think that Satriani has some pretty good songs.

i don't think you can really compare songwriting and guitar proficiency like that. Songwriting is entirely subjective, whereas guitar skill is objective.

The better songwriter depends on your opinion, and in my opinion that would make Satriani and Vai better songwriters.

However, no matter what your opinion of the songs, Satriani and Vai are definately the better guitarists by more than a country mile!

Anyway getting back on track, I dont think I could really describe anyone in Aberdeen as a musical genius really. Mozart, et al, are examples of musical geniuses (genii?? lol). they may indeed be good, but not quite genius level!

i think satriani and vai suck big mommas baws. i don't think they're talented guitarists at all. a talented guitarist knows that sometimes a little goes a long way. you don't have to play fast, you don't have to know a million different types of mental scales and you don't have to be play solo's for two hours to be a good guitarist. what makes a talented guitarist is know exactly what will make the song better and what will fit the atmosphere and tone of the piece they're playing. whilst there's no doubting the technical ability of vai, satriani et all i think that everything they do is far too surgical and lacks any real emotion. it's like getting an architecht to draw a portrait, they'd be out with the slide rule when it really needs colour and feeling.

i'm not saying you can't be a technically brilliant guitarist and play with feeling, just that i think vai and satriani are shit. :)

Guest neil ex

Exactly. Surely a good guitarist makes good sounds with his guitar/uses it well, rather than plays stupidly difficult stuff above making good sounds.

It seems Satriani and Vai set out to write music that's difficult to play before music that sounds good. That's not music, that's just technical excersises.

They write music for video games, specifically good music for racing games.

i'm not saying you can't be a technically brilliant guitarist and play with feeling' date=' just that i think vai and satriani are shit. :)[/quote']

Which is fair enough... and I agree that I personally dislike most of vai's songs and a lot of satriani's are weak as well.

However, if you've ever heard tham play on other people's songs... man they are awesome! Just technically brilliant guitarists.

Now, I'm not saying that they are necessarily good songwriters or whatever, but if you asked them to do anything on a guitar....they could probably do it. (like Vai making a guitar sound like a horse, a baby and a person laughing/talking etc... pretty inventive)

Guest neil ex

Yeah but I don't think Vai or Satriani could play as good a guitar solo as any of the Hendrix guitar solos, and i think if they were to emulate a Hendrix solo note for note, it still wouldn't be the same.

You've pretty much hit it on the head there: to my mind' date=' John Squire is a better guitarist than Joe Satriani because, though definitely less technically proficient, he can actually write a bloody good song, whereas I don't think Satriani could write a song if his life depended on ithe's all style and no substance.[/quote']

flying in a blue dream has some great 'songs' on it.some even have verses and a chorus.

werewolfcorpssignature

Guest neil ex

Fair enough. I'm just using Hendrix as an example because he's famous. I don't personally have a favourite guitarist. I think Hendrix played with real passion though. He probably wouldn't have made a very good metal guitarist though, so that's why you probably think he's over rated.

And AKA The Fox probably aren't geniuses by anything like traditional standards' date=' but if genius is the ability to create an amazing atmosphere at a gig and get everyone dancing, then I'd hail them the most genius-level musicians in Aberdeen.[/quote']

True

But dont let the scenesters know

They will shite their pants

Oli....I love your face.

Genius =

G / Alpha Controller Brute: He hold a guitar like a man.... a true man.

Philip James Johnston: Needs no explaining

Simon Gall: Not even 20... and achieving so much.

Oli Cuts: His face.

Hendrix is over-rated [/controversy mode]

Now really... lol :moody:

Mr Hendrix took guitar playing to a totally new level, and was the first to do so. The reason all the other guitarists don't have anything on Hendrix (tho some may be, technically, more proficient), is solely because he brought guitar playing forward on such a massive scale. Nobody has brought guitar further forward as significantly as Hendrix did.

I'm not keen on vai or satriani. Their playing style may be technically stunning, but it's just cold and with no real emotion coming through.

As regards genuises in Aberdeen, you'd really have to define genius a bit more for me, i think. It'd be a lot easier just to name my fav Aberdeen act... Staccato Set!!!!!!! :gringo: