aberdeen-music

Nostalgia

Guest Bob

Guest allsystemsfail
actually' date=' Dave used to get alot of the teendy hardcore stuff. he got Destiny, D-Rail(before they played with norma Jean), Fallen Into Ashes, Burning Skies, Saccullus, Broken Oath, Stoma and many others.

and all these kids that ranted about "being hardcore", the ones you saw "strutting their stuff" at Johnny Trunat and Norma Jean, apparently being the biggest hardcore/metalcore fans ever, not one of them was there at any of those gigs(with the exception fo a few that had came to see The Secret, which the supooort was *srum-roll* My Mind's Weapon*). in fact, the first time Johnny Truant played Moshulu, half the kids there I dont think I'd EVER seen in Drakes.

[/quote']

Hey man, nice point. It's true that a lotta folks will only catch name outfits - those they've seen featured in the pages of maybe Kerrang, yet demonstrate no interest at all in comparable bands who have made it through here. A lotta folks talk about how much they love Converge, or Dillinger Escape Plan, yet how many of these same folks have made it out to a show at Drakes - you know, one that features comparable acts? Very few. Aw man, I'm so hardcore, so down with the scene. Nonsense.

I really don't have the knowledge of local music that you guys do but going back to attendance...

I think that the whole gig-going audience's average age is going down and this is bound to have a effect on things . More often than not I look like one of the oldest there (depending on course on the band and how "cool" they're seen to be) and I'm only 19. One recent gig at Drakes I attended cleared out at around 11. Whether people have curfew or First are providing a crappy service with regard to buses I don't know, but these people missed the best band of the night. It made me sad.

I'm not saying that I don't think younger people should attend gigs- it's great and I wish I'd lived in Aberdeen when I was 14/15. I think the issue I'm mentioning - for no real reason, but meh - is more that bands are perhaps having to rely on (or are appealing more to?) younger fans.

Guest tv tanned

I haven't been to a local gig for a while, but that is down to a number of factors, mostly financially and logistically related.

I sympathise with a lot of what Bob says, I recall when the site was smaller in membership and in terms of board numbers. I think the Wasteland has some good points to it, but for the most part it is a bit shit, and I say that as someone who posts there regularly so guilty as charged your honour.

I aim to get back into going to gigs at some point, but don't have the chance to at present. I disagree with the comment about Drakes. I like the new venue more, and think it lends itself to getting more semi-decent touring bands rather than the shoe-box that was the old venue.

You have to admit' date=' there are more than a few people who come onto Aberdeen-music for the sole purpose of posting in the Wasteland and little else. Aberdeen-music should be all about gigs and happenings music-wise throughout Aberdeen, not what kind of sandwhich you had for lunch. [/quote']

But you have to take it all proportionately - if people were talking about the music and nothing else, chances are that the website wouldn't be that popular. No website means that there's less exposure on the internet to Aberdeen, which is a bad thing - as Ross once explained to me, all a booking agent needs to do these days is pop onto google and search - and the amount of percieved activity on a place like this could be a deciding factor. It's not important in the grand scheme of things, but it could tip the balance.

Gig cancelations dont happen as often as you make out, fair enough there are occations where a band pulls out of a gig but more times than not, the gig still goes ahead.

They happen more than enough really - Drakes and Moshulu have had a pretty rough time of it lately with cancellations.

Back to the point about reviews, there are never the lack of threads after a fair size gig where people give their opinions of the bands that were playing but it nearly always turns into a slagging match. What happened to the REAL reviews, the ones that were meant to supply constructive criticisms?

I do wonder why the threads turn into slagging matches - but a great deal of that is due to the different tastes of people that use this site, which is undeniably a good thing. As much as Aberdeen-music gets slagged for being full of fairweather emo fans, there's a great deal of people here into some very diverse music - taste here just isn't limited to one genre.

I think that the whole gig-going audience's average age is going down and this is bound to have a effect on things . More often than not I look like one of the oldest there (depending on course on the band and how "cool" they're seen to be) and I'm only 19.

I agree with you there - there's a fair few gigs that I've been to where I felt stupidly old at 19, and the gigs that tend to attract older audiences just don't entertain me as much.

Hey man' date=' nice point. It's true that a lotta folks will only catch name outfits - those they've seen featured in the pages of maybe Kerrang, yet demonstrate no interest at all in comparable bands who have made it through here. A lotta folks talk about how much they love Converge, or Dillinger Escape Plan, yet how many of these same folks have made it out to a show at Drakes - you know, one that features comparable acts? Very few. Aw man, I'm so hardcore, so down with the scene. Nonsense.[/quote']

haha, i'll say it now, i agree entirely with you. for all our disagreements, i couldn't question your commitment to local music :)

See You In Hell (Czech Republic)' date=' The Dagda (N. Ireland), Wasted (Finland), Scatha, Hero Dishonest (Finland), Assert, Severed Head Of State (US), In Decades Decline, Fighting Shit (Iceland), Easpa Measa (Ireland), Remains Of The Day (US), Filthpact, Dirty Power Games (Italy)... I could go on.[/quote']

Don't fancy any of those. Any others?

I feel the attendance at gigs may be more to promoters relying too heavily on the net and not getting off their own arses to advertise their gigs thoroughly on foot or with posters. This site itself is not unhealthy and advertising on here can do no harm' date=' but I do feel some people rely too heavily on it as the only medium of advertising. So I don't believe people prefer to stay in online talking rubbish, but I do believe advertising solely to the people who read this board is not very effective. I'm out and about town a lot, and a considerable number of evenings and weekends, yet I can't honestly recall the last physical flyer I've been handed for a gig.

Maybe another factor is that bands that have been on the scene for 2 to 3 years playing the same style of set or similar just aren't going to have the same pull as they did when they were fresh and could rely upon hoards of friends turning up. Unless a band are really dynamically improving and working on thier sound it's just not worth wasting a night to see a regurgitated rendition of the same set, different order. I'm not suggesting any bands here, I certainly can't think of any off the top of my head - It's just a point for discussion.

I, for one, have found considerably more gigs to attend in the last year than I remember being excited about 2 or 3 years ago. I admit I'm not really in to the same scene of music as Bob, so perhaps my view point is a bit different, but I'm welcoming the breadth of musical diversity I've had the opportunity to attend.[/quote']

You make some very good points there, especially about bands getting stale in aberdeen

The crowd plays a very big part in how good a gig is. I think this is what makes the difference. People that attend gigs purely to see their mates bands are generally less fun than people who attend gigs to dance and get drunk.

Back in the era Bob was referring to Drakes was probably the only place doing original live music - I think that Lava came later. Drakes had also built up it's own regular cult following, elements of which remain to this day. All that makes for a good gig. When people are just there because they want to be there, and they're going to make the best of being there it's all good.

The past 2 years have seen several developments regarding various venues and their approach to live music, this has temporarily watered down the fun loving element of the audience to some extent. Once everyone relaxes again things will feel a lot more comfortable.

Last Saturday we had a really nice night. One of those nights when the performers almost seem capable of turning water into wine. There was a real warmth in the air. This was all due to the vibe and atmosphere. You can have a good gig with a disinterested crowd, but in order to have a great gig the crowd must give it's all too.

Don't worry - that feeling will come back on a regular basis once normal service is resumed.

Guest stuartmaxwell
how do you know you dont fancy them??

did you go and odnwlaod stuff by all fo them??

or are you just judging by the name?

there is no point in us wasting our breath

...let them eat their cake...

jim is def in it for the money, as soon as drakes closes hes into his drag and down the docks

filthy man :down:

I just think that before there were so many great things about the aberdeen music scene. Now all we have is an aberdeen-music scene - and it's just not as good.

Are you seriously trying to suggest that aberdeen-music.com is now the be all and end all of the Aberdeen music scene? I don't think so.

If this web site disappeared tomorrow the local music scene would still be there just as before. Yes, this web site has its flaws and its fair share of nonsense but I like to think it at least tries to being together the musicians, bands, promoters and venues that make up the music scene all to one place, online. I know for a fact than many people have benefited from this web site. And as long as at least a few people are getting something out of this web site then I will keep it going for as long as I can.

The old "aberdeen-music.com stops people going to local gigs" argument is complete bullshit. If people aren't going to gigs it is because they have something better to do. It's the job of musicians, bands, prompters and venues and the like to change that. So why not start?

Ayeee

Are you seriously trying to suggest that aberdeen-music.com is now the be all and end all of the Aberdeen music scene? I don't think so.

If this web site disappeared tomorrow the local music scene would still be there just as before. Yes' date=' this web site has its flaws and its fair share of nonsense but I like to think it at least tries to being together the musicians, bands, promoters and venues that make up the music scene all to one place, online. I know for a fact than many people have benefited from this web site. And as long as at least a few people are getting something out of this web site then I will keep it going for as long as I can.

The old "aberdeen-music.com stops people going to local gigs" argument is complete bullshit. If people aren't going to gigs it is because they have something better to do. It's the job of musicians, bands, prompters and venues and the like to change that. So why not start?[/quote']

Here here!

Aherm... Not that I care... all the wayheyhey.

Maybe folks should spend less on web time and more on shoes! :up:

Guest allsystemsfail
probably on the basis that on arrival he'd find you scowling in the corner sucking the life out of the room.

So I guess you caught that interview with Ebola in Fracture. A suggestion. Don't believe everything that you read or hear. Duane (then Ebola's bassist and whose comment that was), does not know me very well. He's never spent any REAL time with me - taken a chance to get to know me.

And you? You know nothing at all about me. I've said no more than half a dozen words to you. And please do not base any judgement you have of me on what you see here - on words on a screen. Your description of me couldn't be further from the truth. Just ask any friend of mine - folks who have spent a lotta time with me. And actually something that you said you could not argue with.

And what is this really all about - you taking these pops at me? Coz of what I said about Assert? Coz prior to that you said not a thing.

And hey, what was with that apology of yours? Take it as meant indeed.

So I guess you caught that interview with Ebola in Fracture. A suggestion. Don't believe everything that you read or hear. Duane' date=' whose comment that was, does not know me very well. He's never spent any REAL time with me - taken a chance to get to know me.

And you? You know nothing at all about me. I've said no more than half a dozen words to you. And please do not base any judgement you have of me on what you see here - on words on a screen. Your description of me couldn't be further from the truth. Just ask any friend of mine - folks who have spent a lotta time with me. And actually something that you said you could not argue with.

And what is this really all about - you taking these pops at me? Coz of what I said about Assert? Coz prior to that you said not a thing.

And hey, what was with that apology of yours? Take it as meant indeed.[/quote']

that wasnt a 'pop', just a casual observation.i've actually spoken to you five or six times over the years buddo, bought a few profane existence issues from you etc.and i've replied many times to posts you have made, just so happens you have been typing a higher degree of crap over the past few months resulting in a higher degree of replies, some maybe not what you hoped for...freedom of speech not a valid point on your agenda?

the assert thing you have your knickers in a twist over wasnt even an argument, i personally thought the animal thread was way more endearing.and the thread on an older version of aberdeen music, when you called for a boycott of a gig organised by al massive moon in dr.drakes for a cancer charity, because you said all monies raised would go to secret government experiments and the abuse of girrafees or some such.

whats this really about then? i think you have a beef with me because i dont use capital letters much.get it out in the open , unleash the burden of truth.

Guest stuartmaxwell

when you called for a boycott of a gig organised by al massive moon in dr.drakes for a cancer charity' date=' because you said all monies raised would go to secret government experiments and the abuse of girrafees or some such.

.[/quote']

:laughing:

ha ha ha

Guest allsystemsfail
that wasnt a 'pop'' date=' just a casual observation.i've actually spoken to you five or six times over the years buddo, bought a few profane existence issues from you etc.and i've replied many times to posts you have made, just so happens you have been typing a higher degree of crap over the past few months resulting in a higher degree of replies, some maybe not what you hoped for...freedom of speech not a valid point on your agenda?

the assert thing you have your knickers in a twist over wasnt even an argument, i personally thought the animal thread was way more endearing.and the thread on an older version of aberdeen music, when you called for a boycott of a gig organised by al massive moon in dr.drakes for a cancer charity, because you said all monies raised would go to secret government experiments and the abuse of girrafees or some such.

whats this really about then? i think you have a beef with me because i dont use capital letters much.get it out in the open , unleash the burden of truth.[/quote']

You may have indeed spoken to me on the occasions I used to distro PE - hey, I've sold copies to lots of folks so can hardly be damned coz I don't remember you, but, as I am sure that I will have said no more than a few words to you, that is hardly a sound basis on which to draw conclusions to my character. And etc?

You've replied to many posts I've made? And so from that you know me quite well? Also, what's with this many times? The first was just a couple months back regarding Assert. You've made no more than a dozen posts in response to mine. 15 at most.

A higher degree of crap? That is your opinion, one in which you're entitled to. I have no problem with any discussion if the points made are contructive. And yours can certainly not be described as such.

And regarding my views - I've expressed only those held by MOST in the DIY punk underground. There ain't nothing unusual in what I've said here.

Freedom of speech not on my agenda? Well, any unwillingness on my part to permit others to express what they believe would rather contradict my politics would it not?

Regarding Assert - I just thought it kinda strange that you should only then take these pops at me. And why? Not because you believed there a genuine reason, but only because you found it amusing to do so.

And what's with this latest one - made without any provocation whatsoever? I thought we were all done with this thing. What's wrong - at a bit of a loose end? Waiting for the kettle to boil perhaps? And that apology?

The show at Drakes? I called for no boycott of ANY show there. And Al Massive Moon?????

You know, I'd have a little more respect for you if there was some substance to your arguements. You may also believe yourself extremely amusing in the things you've said. However, any thinking individual would I'm sure think otherwise. The abuse of giraffes indeed.

Anyway, I'm not gonna waste my time with this anymore.

Guest neil ex

I must admit that I don't go to many gigs' date=' mainly because there are not many local bands I am interested in seeing, and I wonder how many of the "oldies" feel the same way?[/quote']

i'm not interested in many local bands either, but i attend gigs regularly. mostly touring acts i've read about and not heard before. surely one of the best ways to discover music, wouldn't you agree?