aberdeen-music

Nostalgia

Guest Bob

I was looking at the Deadloss Superstar website and was suddenly hit with a wave of nostalgia upon reading this:

With hardcore riffs, beefy basslines and screams to wake even the calmest of the dead, nobody could escape the carnage that was Deadloss "Mother Fucking" Superstar. I know I shall want to see them again. I dont think I can describe them, or compare them to another band. - AUBL.net live review

Who else can remember when gigs in Aberdeen were reviewed in an often entertaining and diverting manner? Am I the only one who misses that? Remember when local bands were played on local radio? Remember when the hub of our music scene had less to do with a website and more to do with attending the gigs that were advertised on it? Remember when this music scene had a heart and soul? Remember the old Drakes and Lava? I think they were better venues then their contemporary counterparts.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i prefer the new drakes to be honest, the music scene is better than it was all those years ago, look at the standard of bands that drakes get?summer last year to april/may this year was class, loads of good local bands who played different types of music and people going to gigs

lava was good back in the day but paul has continued to run it into the ground, getting good bands and doing sod all promotion for it (some postering and a post on a message board saying oceansize-next week-tickets from one up) and expecting local bands to sell tickets, nobody goes to the show

and you guessed it....the bands dont come back, they think aberdeen is pish, they think there is no music scene etc etc

its a long process to build it back up, and it needs more good bands who arent afraid of all this scener bollocks, go out and play music the way it should be-i.e. not on a fucking messageboard, not taking themselves toooo seriously etc etc

i take it im wrong?

i prefer the new drakes to be honest' date=' the music scene is better than it was all those years ago, look at the standard of bands that drakes get?summer last year to april/may this year was class, loads of good local bands who played different types of music and people going to gigs

lava was good back in the day but paul has continued to run it into the ground, getting good bands and doing sod all promotion for it (some postering and a post on a message board saying oceansize-next week-tickets from one up) and expecting local bands to sell tickets, nobody goes to the show

and you guessed it....the bands dont come back, they think aberdeen is pish, they think there is no music scene etc etc

its a long process to build it back up, and it needs more good bands who arent afraid of all this scener bollocks, go out and play music the way it should be-i.e. not on a fucking messageboard, not taking themselves toooo seriously etc etc

i take it im wrong?[/quote']

Old Drakes was great and you could escape from the shite bands to the lounge. Lava just had a better atmosphere, not forgetting that it also had seats. I think when it became Kef it was just less gig-audience friendly. Nothing Paul could do with that.

Look at the standards of bands Drakes get? Like who? Which bands have set the standard?

*scratches head*

I really don't understand the last paragraph either.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i cannot believe this!!!!!!!!

tomorrow a prime example mountain men anonymous

i cant believe you would ask such an inane question??

perhaps if you actually bothered your arse to check out bands outwith the popular sounds you would see so many of these great bands

drakes have the best promoters in town by a long shot in dave rowlands and interesting music, not only that Shaz gets bands in from all over the world, taking the risks on bands that may not bring the cash in but will entertain the punters

they have a wide range of genres and put on live music every night of the week when possible

i have been blown away by loads of INTERESTING bands soooo many times in drakes its unbelievable, those who further genres instead of copying what the rest are doing, those who are writing new genres etc

unbelievable,

maybe its late, maybe im ranting, but that post got right up my nose

its pointless trying to get points accross to small minded knuckleheads like yourself

emm what did i say about 'can of worms'...?!

i think you're just geting a bit older bob and reminiscing!! you were 'the kids' back then and it was all new to you - the 'kids' of the scene now will be doing the same in a few years!

we all do it - ive been known to harp on about 'old drakes' etc etc but im still constantly having my ears and eyes opened to new music all the time, and thats just in drakes (and travelling outwith the city of course) ! maybe you need to look a bit further than just local band gigs/up and coming touring bands and chance going to see someone/something you've never heard of before or which would be a new genre to you? you might be surprised!

this is not a drakes 'plug', and ok you may not think the 'standard' of our bands are up to much (hmm i havent seen you in drakes for how many months?!) but what we put on at drakes is pretty culturally diverse (thanks to to the likes of Interesting Music, Dave Rowlands etc...oh and maybe me!) and i think you're just 'growing up' a bit bob and should maybe make the effort to experience some new things to wet your appetite again?

there is actually a thriving and very interesting music scene going on all over aberdeen if you look a bit harder. nothing stays the same forever bob, you'll never recreate the feelings you had 5 or so years ago!

shaz :love:

Another Maxwell rant... Rant on!

Amazing bands I have seen in Drakes recently... Feverdream/Mono (Holland), Laeto/Alamos (Dundee), Craig B acoustic/Cayto/Senator/Macrocosmica/Lucky Pierre (Glasgow), Mountain Men Anonymous (England), Masamune/Politik/Deadloss/Electric Tibet/Kathryn Sawers (well ET was in the Lemon Tree, but all from Aberdeen)

And those fifteen acts are only a small amount of the great bands that I have seen in Drakes. And they all "set the standard". Saying that Drakes is crap now sounds like an enormous slur upon all the people that work incredibly hard to make Drakes the fantastic place that it is. As I have said to Sharon many a drunken time, "I fucking love this place... It's the best place in the world." And I stick by that.

I think that Fudge does review many a gig in "an often entertaining and diverting manner". And hopefully those fuckers doing Audio Dropouts will be able to do the same. There are a few other local 'zines that I haven't read for one reason or another... I think thats inspiring.

I don't think Aberdeen is the best place in the world but there are several amazing things going on in the music scene that give it some credit. It's only a beginning though... Things can always get better, but we don't have a bad start. Remember, Aberdeen is only a small city. What we have in relation to our size is not so bad.

I dont think bob said drakes was crap just that he enjoyed the old one better. Sharon is right tho maybe if he went to more gigs there then he would have a different opinion by all accounts drakes has some very good and interesting bands on now adays and fuck good on them for that.

Maybe bob is right and that it was better three of four years ago but that is his opinion and i know there are others that agree, my feelings are that it is different than it was and im not really sure if its for the better or not. sure there are a lot of good bands to see in aberdeen but i dont know i just feel that every one used to be a lot more friendly than they are now a days. i know ill get slated for saying that but its true.

perhaps if you actually bothered your arse to check out bands outwith the popular sounds you would see so many of these great bands

In the last month' date=' I know that Bob has been to gigs in Drakes, Drummonds, Moorings and Kef and has also attended - and participated - in the weekly folk night at the Carlton Lounge. So I would say he is infinitely more qualified than you to comment on the quality of local bands.

its pointless trying to get points accross to small minded knuckleheads like yourself

'My opinon's better than yours, so you must be a pee-pee poo-poo!' Well I'm glad we cleared that one up.

silversteinad.gif

Guest neil ex

Look at the standards of bands Drakes get? Like who? Which bands have set the standard?

*scratches head*

the strokes played at dr drakes in july but no one went because the tickets were 1100. drakes are now bankrupt, and that's why they can't put on any good bands.

Guest neil ex
In the last month' date=' I know that Bob has been to gigs in Drakes, Drummonds, Moorings and Kef and has also attended - and participated - in the weekly folk night at the Carlton Lounge. So I would say he is infinitely more qualified than you to comment on the quality of local bands.

[/quote']

he wasn't just talking about local bands though. there's been some amazing bands play in drakes, and other venues in aberdeen this year. bob i suggest you check out thomas truax when he comes back.

i'd love to go back to the old drakes again to see a gig, but the venue now's also ace.

Another Maxwell rant... Rant on!

Amazing bands I have seen in Drakes recently... Feverdream/Mono (Holland)' date=' Laeto/Alamos (Dundee), Craig B acoustic/Cayto/Senator/Macrocosmica/Lucky Pierre (Glasgow), Mountain Men Anonymous (England), Masamune/Politik/Deadloss/Electric Tibet/Kathryn Sawers (well ET was in the Lemon Tree, but all from Aberdeen)

And those fifteen acts are only a small amount of the great bands that I have seen in Drakes. And they all "set the standard". Saying that Drakes is crap now sounds like an enormous slur upon all the people that work incredibly hard to make Drakes the fantastic place that it is. As I have said to Sharon many a drunken time, "I fucking love this place... It's the best place in the world." And I stick by that.

I think that Fudge does review many a gig in "an often entertaining and diverting manner". And hopefully those fuckers doing Audio Dropouts will be able to do the same. There are a few other local 'zines that I haven't read for one reason or another... I think thats inspiring.

I don't think Aberdeen is the best place in the world but there are several amazing things going on in the music scene that give it some credit. It's only a beginning though... Things can always get better, but we don't have a bad start. Remember, Aberdeen is only a small city. What we have in relation to our size is not so bad.[/quote']

I've seen a lot of those bands already but I suppose I could give them another chance. Like Milner noticed, I never said Drakes was crap, I only expressed a nostalgic preference for the old one. I agree that Fudge do diverting reviews etc, but they are restricted by this thing called publishing and the fanzine is released sporadically at best. We used to have new reviews online all the time, virtually every week. There was this thing called aubl once.

Aberdeen is a small City, but that's no excuse.

drakes have the best promoters in town by a long shot in dave rowlands and interesting music' date=' not only that Shaz gets bands in from all over the world, taking the risks on bands that may not bring the cash in but will entertain the punters

they have a wide range of genres and put on live music every night of the week when possible

i have been blown away by loads of INTERESTING bands soooo many times in drakes its unbelievable, those who further genres instead of copying what the rest are doing, those who are writing new genres etc[/quote']

So, what your saying is that although no project of yours will ever play at Kef, you're quite happy to play at Drakes?

I just can't imagine Dave Rowlands ever promoting a gig I'd fancy much, and is it just me or is "Interesting Music" the laziest name for a promoters EVER? "Aye min, it's interestin music like, so we thot o callin it 'Interesting Music'."

I admire the bands who are writing new genres though. Must be very taxing for them.

You still never explained about bands being scared of the scener bollocks and playing music on a messageboard. Guess there is none.

Guest stuartmaxwell

'My opinon's better than yours, so you must be a pee-pee poo-poo!' Well I'm glad we cleared that one up.

silversteinad.gif

i wasnt really talking about local bands to be honest... if you want my opinions on local bands go here www.audiodropouts.co.uk

i was talking about the out of town acts that drakes get, whether they be from glasgow, england, usa etc etc

many of the interesting ones play drakes, i reckon fowk who dont go along would prob be impressed with many of them

Guest stuartmaxwell

So, what your saying is that although no project of yours will ever play at Kef, you're quite happy to play at Drakes?

I just can't imagine Dave Rowlands ever promoting a gig I'd fancy much, and is it just me or is "Interesting Music" the laziest name for a promoters EVER? "Aye min, it's interestin music like, so we thot o callin it 'Interesting Music'."

I admire the bands who are writing new genres though. Must be very taxing for them.

You still never explained about bands being scared of the scener bollocks and playing music on a messageboard. Guess there is none.

i wouldnt play Kef again no. i would be quite happy to play at drakes again, if they would if they would have me :)

dave rowlands puts on some great nights, im not into crust or hardcore or grind etc but i have been to a couple of his nights and the bands have been great, most namely stand up guy, who were nothing short of special

the interesting music guys are pushing the boundaries and thinking outside of the box, i genuinely think that you would enjoy some of their nights if you dropped the preconceptions about their name.

the point that required explaining was...

too many bands are prob scared of all the scener bitching on here now, they are trying to conform to the unwritten scene rules etc

I have to agree with Bob on this this one. I think that the scene in Aberdeen was waaasy better a good 2/3 years ago - simply on the subject of attendance. People actually made the effort to go to gigs. I remember the times when Lava used to be packed - and that was just for local line ups. I've seen a fair few good bands lately but when ever i've been at a gig (no matter what venue) it has been close to empty. Nobody makes the effort to go to gigs anymore. In a way, I think aberdeen-music has hindered the growth of the aberdeen scene. There are so many people who just sit at their computer and bitch about other bands and talk about shit (have you seen the wasteland lately? ) When was the last time anyone even looked at AUBL (they do have a website y'know) Do half of you even know what AUBL is? Like Bob said, there used to be new reviews on there all the time.

hmm sit at a computer screen and slate a band that you dont like or go to a gig? I know what I'd rather do..

In a way' date=' I think aberdeen-music has hindered the growth of the aberdeen scene.[/quote']

I'd say that's fair. People are more inclined to post two or three lines in a thread on aberdeen-music than do a review these days. None of these posts are ever particularly interesting outwith the natural lifespan of the conversation.

I think perhaps that The Wasteland is the biggest offender in that a website about aberdeen-music shouldn't really need a forum like it. The Wasteland's purpose was to keep garbage threads out of the AUBL, but at least back then the garbage was posted by people who had an interest in music.

Nowadays, The Wasteland is an entity in itself which, besides band members and gig goers, also has an underclass of users who only seem to be here to talk "off-topic".

Maybe as an experiment we could post up all the confirmed gig dates for a fortnight and close aberdeen-music.com for the whole period. We could call it "Get off your fucking fat arse fortnight".

I'd say that's fair. People are more inclined to post two or three lines in a thread on aberdeen-music than do a review these days. None of these posts are ever particularly interesting outwith the natural lifespan of the conversation.

I think perhaps that The Wasteland is the biggest offender in that a website about aberdeen-music shouldn't really need a forum like it. The Wasteland's purpose was to keep garbage threads out of the AUBL' date=' but at least back then the garbage was posted by people who had an interest in music.

Nowadays, The Wasteland is an entity in itself which, besides band members and gig goers, also has an underclass of users who only seem to be here to talk "off-topic".

Maybe as an experiment we could post up all the confirmed gig dates for a fortnight and close aberdeen-music.com for the whole period. We could call it "Get off your fucking fat arse fortnight".[/quote']

I think you're making Aberdeen-Music to be more important than it actually is, to be honest. It's not that important - if it was, wouldn't there have been a massive thread about Halloween after it happened, for instance? But no, I know a fair few people who have never gone on Aberdeen-music, nor cared about what happens on here. It has it's place, particularly as a way of getting feedback instantly rather than relying on the actual attendance of the gig - but it's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

As for confirmed gig dates - look at how much gigs get cancelled here or changed round at the last minute. It's entirely possible that low gig attendance is due to that - Kef, for all it's faults, is possibly the only venue that doesn't suffer with that. Is it not possible that with all the cancelled gigs, people who would have been exposed to local music will now not do so?

There's a lot more questions than there are answers, but I don't think criticising the wasteland is really the answer - if anything, it seems like a useful excuse. Perhaps the problem is more than people rely too much on Aberdeen-Music in general.

It could just be me but the first part of your post, Cloud made no sense what-so-ever.

You have to admit, there are more than a few people who come onto Aberdeen-music for the sole purpose of posting in the Wasteland and little else. Aberdeen-music should be all about gigs and happenings music-wise throughout Aberdeen, not what kind of sandwhich you had for lunch.

Gig cancelations dont happen as often as you make out, fair enough there are occations where a band pulls out of a gig but more times than not, the gig still goes ahead.

Back to the point about reviews, there are never the lack of threads after a fair size gig where people give their opinions of the bands that were playing but it nearly always turns into a slagging match. What happened to the REAL reviews, the ones that were meant to supply constructive criticisms?

The music scene is never going to seem as fresh and exciting as it was when you first became involved in it, and you are always going to hanker back to how it was back then. I don't think that aberdeen-music.com has caused the downturn in gig attendances per-se, more the evergrowing internet culture in general.

Closing this site for a couple of weeks probably would increase gig attendances, but those that are interested in the off-topic stuff would just find another message board to frequent. As soon as it reopened nobody would leave their houses as they'd be posting about how random they'd been for the past two weeks.

I must admit that I don't go to many gigs, mainly because there are not many local bands I am interested in seeing, and I wonder how many of the "oldies" feel the same way?

Guest allsystemsfail

See You In Hell (Czech Republic), The Dagda (N. Ireland), Wasted (Finland), Scatha, Hero Dishonest (Finland), Assert, Severed Head Of State (US), In Decades Decline, Fighting Shit (Iceland), Easpa Measa (Ireland), Remains Of The Day (US), Filthpact, Dirty Power Games (Italy)... I could go on.

Guest stuartmaxwell
See You In Hell (Czech Republic)' date=' The Dagda (N. Ireland), Wasted (Finland), Scatha, Hero Dishonest (Finland), Assert, Severed Head Of State (US), Fighting Shit (Iceland), Easpa Measa (Ireland), Remains Of The Day (US), Filthpact, Dirty Power Games (Italy)... I could go on.[/quote']

exactly

within the genres of music they put on, they have some of the best playing there week in week out :up:

to the nay sayer....

perhaps they dont get the best pop punk emo [insert trend here] but maybe that is a statement in itself?? :ding:

I feel the attendance at gigs may be more to promoters relying too heavily on the net and not getting off their own arses to advertise their gigs thoroughly on foot or with posters. This site itself is not unhealthy and advertising on here can do no harm, but I do feel some people rely too heavily on it as the only medium of advertising. So I don't believe people prefer to stay in online talking rubbish, but I do believe advertising solely to the people who read this board is not very effective. I'm out and about town a lot, and a considerable number of evenings and weekends, yet I can't honestly recall the last physical flyer I've been handed for a gig.

Maybe another factor is that bands that have been on the scene for 2 to 3 years playing the same style of set or similar just aren't going to have the same pull as they did when they were fresh and could rely upon hoards of friends turning up. Unless a band are really dynamically improving and working on thier sound it's just not worth wasting a night to see a regurgitated rendition of the same set, different order. I'm not suggesting any bands here, I certainly can't think of any off the top of my head - It's just a point for discussion.

I, for one, have found considerably more gigs to attend in the last year than I remember being excited about 2 or 3 years ago. I admit I'm not really in to the same scene of music as Bob, so perhaps my view point is a bit different, but I'm welcoming the breadth of musical diversity I've had the opportunity to attend.

perhaps they dont get the best pop punk emo [insert trend here] but maybe that is a statement in itself?? :ding:

actually' date=' Dave used to get alot of the teendy hardcore stuff. he got Destiny, D-Rail(before they played with norma Jean), Fallen Into Ashes, Burning Skies, Saccullus, Broken Oath, Stoma and many others.

and all these kids that ranted about "being hardcore", the ones you saw "strutting their stuff" at Johnny Trunat and Norma Jean, apparently being the biggest hardcore/metalcore fans ever, not one of them was there at any of those gigs(with the exception fo a few that had came to see The Secret, which the supooort was *srum-roll* My Mind's Weapon*). in fact, the first time Johnny Truant played Moshulu, half the kids there I dont think I'd EVER seen in Drakes.

And well, I dont thin its any secret about Dave Rowlands gigs, because he really does promote them to buggery.

*-was not a dig at My Mind's Weapon. was a dig at the little hardcore kiddies that only come to a gig if their is a local band that they like.

fuck them.