aberdeen-music

dire straits

Guest stuartmaxwell

True legends!!!!

I grew up listening to this band as well. Mark knopper is one of the greatest ever guitarists in my book.

Sultans of Swing is a fine song and the 10 minute live version is even better.

Couldn't agree more, Mark Knopfler is one of the most unberated guitarists out there, a great band, was een thinking of going to see Mark Knopfler next year in Edinburgh.

Cheers

Stuart

First band I started listening to if only because I got a tape player for my 9th birthday from my auntie and uncle and they gave me a recorded Dire Straits tape aswell! It was the only music I listened to because it was the only music I had. Not my first favourite band, that was Dodgy! My favourite song at first was 'Walk of Life' (sounds incredibly cheesy now!) but later progressed to 'Money For Nothing'. Loved the intro! Classic! I think the tape has long since disappeared, oh well!

Guest DustyDeviada

Hear hear!

The Mark Knopfler revival starts here! (Just wait until Del sees this, he won't be happy.)

I always thought it was unfair that Dire Straits got slagged off because they were kind of adopted by "yuppies" in the mid/late 80s, but other similar bands, like, say, Pink Floyd, were still "cool". Not Mark Knopfler's fault if a few arseholes like his music I reckon.

Anyway, Mark Knopfler's solo stuff is better in my opinion, especially Sailing to Philadelphia and the new album Shangri La.

Got tickets for row 3 in Edinburgh next year, can't wait!

Dusty

(obsessive enough to own a Mark Knopfler signature stratocaster)

PS I have a bandmate in the Deviadas who is also going to the Edinburgh show, but I won't "out" him on here. You know who you are!

Guest neil ex
First band I started listening to if only because I got a tape player for my 9th birthday from my auntie and uncle and they gave me a recorded Dire Straits tape aswell! It was the only music I listened to because it was the only music I had. Not my first favourite band' date=' that was Dodgy! My favourite song at first was 'Walk of Life' (sounds incredibly cheesy now!) but later progressed to 'Money For Nothing'. Loved the intro! Classic! I think the tape has long since disappeared, oh well![/quote']

probably the only fan of dodgy AND part chimp in the entire world. ;)

i have a tape somewhere with a couple of dire straits albums on it recorded, probably in the 80s, by my dad. i used to listen to it quite alot when i was 14.

hoooray!

dire straits are the bees-knees!

they were amoungst the group of bands that helped develop my exceptional taste in music...

people should be lynched to dis-respecting them

not for liking them...

also...

if anyone would like some dire straits played for them this friday at the bassment

sometime between 7pm and 1am

please ask me nicely...

cos i'm fairly sure i have a few tunes available..

remember folks

7pm - 1am, every friday, rockin' tunes and cocktails @ the bassment

:woohoo:

Guest DustyDeviada

Ha! I never thought Dire Straits would be played in the Bassment.

What tunes did you have in mind?

Six Blade Knife was probably the closest the band ever came to becoming cool, when it was featured in the Desperado soundtrack. How about that one? Maybe a bit laid back, mind.

hah, yeah i never thought i'd see such a positive reaction for dire straits. i prefer knopfler's solo stuff, tho my favourite Straits era was the early days. The first two albums were so cool sounding, with that ace JJ Cale touch. Still i'm a big fan of all their eras...

Yeah, I'm going down to see him in Edinburgh next year and looking forward to it.

Also really like the notting hillbillies :bat: