aberdeen-music

Well, we're now banned from playing the North Star in Lerwick...

Rob Karloff

Coz the owner absolutely hated us!

But, the music loving community thought it was ace... 200 through the door on the night, probably about 50 or 60 people around to watch us at midnight.

We had such a blast, and will definately be heading back up for another show in the not so distant future! The folks there were so great to us, thanks in no particular order to : Ivor the driver, Phil, Adam, Vaila, all of Bacchus and 10 Rillington Place, all the folks that braved the wind and rain for the gig, and anyone who we might have forgot.

Shetland rocks. But the ferry journey in force 9 conditions is not everyone's cuppa t....

Ah the Death Star - does it still look like the stage from the floorshow section of the Rocky Horror?

The Lorelei played the North Star in 1994 - we too had a fantastic time in Shetland - I don't think we got banned from it (but we did do a gig at the Bressay hall which caused all bands to be banned).

However, we did get a letter of complaint in the Buchan Advertiser (or somesuch paper) from an elderly couple who saw us advertised whilst in Shetland on holiday - apparently we were billed as playing a "folk music weekend" and they wrote

"Imagine our surprise when we entered the venue to be met with what appeared to be a death metal band..."

Shetland rocks - (and getting the plane is much better when the seas are rough)

Regards

Flossie

he he, folk death metal...nice one.

we played there in 1999 (if my cheese brain serves me correctly).

we supported "fuzz" (brian, ace guy)...we were pleasently supprised to see everyone (and their grannies) there, and singing along to the cover of "I'm a creep" by Fuzz, with the wonderful lyrics "I'm a cunt, I'm an arse hole...etc" he he.

an ace place to play live music, Like Rob said, getting there is the tricky part!

Rob, next time you play, you'll have to go in full highland dress...or did you already ? he he

Ah the Death Star - does it still look like the stage from the floorshow section of the Rocky Horror?

Yeah, it does actually!

It looks a bit run down and is freeeeeeeeeeezing to be inside, but the stage is a great size and they have an ace PA. I even found the old 1950s style projection gear was still in the projection room when I went exploring!

We're aiming to inflict the Dangerfields and the Gin Goblins on the good people of Shetland next... :bat:

an ace place to play live music' date=' Like Rob said, getting there is the tricky part!

Rob, next time you play, you'll have to go in full highland dress...or did you already ? he he[/quote']

It's not at all tricky to get there compared to the usual for travelling to a gig, it's just that the boat trip at this time of year is a challenge. I used to work on a wee creel boat when I was a loon, so it didn't bother me at all, but our land-locked/almost-weegie/EastKilbride dwelling drummer didn't get on so well. He managed to crash out pretty quick to avoid hurling his dinner though. The main thing is it's real tedious unless you want to watch TV or pay 4 for a cinema ticket! I just fucked around until 10pm then went to sleep until the boat arrived.

No full Highland dress this time, but could be an interesting costume change from the usual... A bloodied zombie Highlander, I like that concept! :up:

Guest tv tanned
No full Highland dress this time' date=' but could be an interesting costume change from the usual... A bloodied zombie Highlander, I like that concept! :up:[/quote']

Ahem

Original-highlander.jpg

There can be only one...

Dearie me - I must be extremely elderly (winces as gout and lumbago play up)

Were you one of the many folk who we gave a lift to in a frantic dash to catch the last ferry back to Lerwick after the gig?

Flossie

he he, nothing quite like the fear of being stranded, is there Flossie?

We were offered a lift over on a fishing boat, as we did the comedy "pulling up to the harbour, only to see the last boat pulling away, feet from the dock"...

the people there are ace, very friendly.

I'd reccomend a gig up there to anyone who can get one. (expensive, aye, but worth it).

• 1 month later...
Shetland does not rock... And most of the local bands play shitty stereophonics or oasis covers... they've probably graduated to doing bad darkness covers now.

I must emphasise MOST of the local bands. Well actually its getting a lot better, there's only a couple of crap cover bands on the go at the moment.

The band I'm in (Bitumen River) are playing at Cafe Drummonds on the 28th of January, you should all come along!.

cheers

Kevin

I must emphasise MOST of the local bands. Well actually its getting a lot better' date=' there's only a couple of crap cover bands on the go at the moment.

The band I'm in (Bitumen River) are playing at Cafe Drummonds on the 28th of January, you should all come along!.

cheers

Kevin[/quote']

My former band played with bitumen river in the welcome inn when i was about 16... We were pretty shite, but you guys were cool...

Guest Mr Blastcap

it could have been a lot worse, getting banned from a pub is good compared to being mistaken for that edward woodwood chap, stuck in a wicker man and burned all to fuck while dracula in drag gloats at you.

but thats my own personal opinion.

Guest Startex

Shetland certainly does rock!

Shetland certainly does rock! Where were you all when Foyer Music put a post up here last year looking for bands for gigs up there? We took 10 Easy Wiushes and The Session up last time. We're now planning another if anyone's interested. If you're looking for gigs or have already sorted one out contact Davie Gardiner at The Shetland Arts Trust as he has a deal with the ferry company for massive discounts.

The Bitumen River gig is a Foyerlive show and will be part of a weekend of events. Check out the foyerlive website for details.