aberdeen-music

digital cameras.

shaun

www.dabs.com

has discontinued models cheap...

Decide what you want the camera for in terms of photography etc

EG low level light / gigs or are you mainly looking for snaps etc.

If wanting to do live music then you`ll need an iso setting that will be 400 or greater.

Go round the photography shop[s and ask for advice . Then try the cameras out. Find one you like and buy it cheaper online.

Right,

It depends on the print size your wanting to do. the general rule of thumb is 4million pixels if you want to prints anything up to A4, 5million pixels if you want bigger etc etc...

Some models off the top of my head would be:

Olympus C50 (5MP, 3 X optical zoom + manual modes i.e. shutter and aperture priority)

Fuji F700 (6M recorded pixles, 3 x optical zoom, easier to use than the olympus)

or if you want something with a larger zoom AND good pixel count, then your looking at the Olympus C770, or maybe the Fuji F7000 (10 X optical zoom)

Although I cant remember the prices of these two.

p.s. I work in Jessops :rolleyes:

Feel free to come into the shop for some demos etc...

Oh yeah, we can usualy match internet prices anyway,

Hope this cleared it up a bit LOL

Cheers,

Craig

The Mju 410 is a good camera if your looking for something thats small and easy to use. As Ross says it really depends what you need the camera for. Its a great camera for general use is the Mju 410.

We are selling it for 219 but you get 2 memory cards and a case included in the price which I dont believe you get with macro.

In terms of battery life, the Mju410 uses a lithium Ion battery so it lasts a fair while. and the metal casing means its a pretty solid camera. As far as picture quality goes - superb up to a4

Regards,

Craig.

www.ebuyer.com are excellent. They are generally a good 70 off high street prices (including delivery). In addition, you often get customer reviews/opinions on the products (in this case digital cameras) to help you decide. Google the camera model to try and get a better idea.

Yeah 3.1 megapixels (or 4) is good for printing on A4. 200 should get you a really nice camera. I'd invest in a big memory card too, perhaps something like 256MB or 512MB. I have a 256 and I often fill it because I'm a paparazzi.

I have a Sony DSC P10. It's 5 Megapixels but I NEVER use the full resolution. I often leave it on 3.1 as it's plenty to be honest. It has 3x zoom (which is the norm) but you may wish to have more... if you're on holiday and you wanna see things up close.

The Sony Cybershot series takes pristine pictures, great colour saturation and reproduction. The battery life is fantastic... even leaving the LCD screen on for ages... my camera lasts more than a whole day. The video compression is good so I can take plenty of video (with sound) and still have room on a 256MB card.

If a Sony cybershot isn't your thing then perhaps try some in the Olympus series. Some I believe are even water resistant.

But yeah as mentioned, 200 will get you a nice camera.

I recently got the Nikon CoolPix 4100... 4MP, 3x optical & 4x digital zoom, 15 shooting modes, 5 colour options, 199 in the PhotoFactory I believe (and cheaper online). It's really easy to use, and produces good quality images, although investing in a memory card (for pretty much any camera) is a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...
The Mju 410 is a good camera if your looking for something thats small and easy to use. As Ross says it really depends what you need the camera for. Its a great camera for general use is the Mju 410.

We are selling it for 219 but you get 2 memory cards and a case included in the price which I dont believe you get with macro.

In terms of battery life' date=' the Mju410 uses a lithium Ion battery so it lasts a fair while. and the metal casing means its a pretty solid camera. As far as picture quality goes - superb up to a4

Regards,

Craig.[/quote']

Smoth_groover...how do you rate the olympus c765?

I want to go digital but dont want the hastle of going for a digital slr, Amazon are doing them for 204.99, how close could jessops come to that price? i'll need memory and a wee case for it as well any recomendations?

The Olympus C765 is a good camera. 10 x optical zoom covers pretty much all the focal lengths you'll need. The start-up time is a bit slow however - takes a few seconds to 'fire up' but that personally doesnt bother me. In terms of the battery life - same battery as the Mju 410. The camera also has full manual control i.e. shutter and aperture priority etc. So if you dont want to spend at least 680 for a DSLR then the Olymous C765 is a good choice all in all.

Im sure Ive managed to get the price of it down to around 180 in the past - although Im not 100% sure. Other cameras you might want to check out are:

Fuji Finepix S5500

Canon Powershot S1 IS ( I have one of these )

Olymous C770 (if you want it to take an external flash gun )

Hope this helps :)