aberdeen-music

Paddy Casey to support Tom Baxter

misterdale

Paddy Casey will be supporting Tom Baxter at his forthcoming Lemon Tree show on Tuesday 16th November. For those of you who have not seen Paddy, you will be in for a pleasant suprise. He is another wonderfully gifted singer songwriter, hugely succesfull in Ireland having sold 130,000 albums, and Tom is really pleased that he has agreed to open for the UK dates.

Tom Baxter: plus Paddy Casey

Tuesday 16 November 2004 - Caf

Tickets 9 (6 concessions & regulars)

Doors Open: 8pm

Show Starts: 8.30pm

Tom Baxter fills his songs with real life, sings them like he means them, and arrives in this envelope via the reassuringly old-fashioned medium of word of mouth. This is a man whose music builds from acoustic beginnings to a real emotional intensity, thanks to a unique voice, powerful string-driven production and lasting songcraft.

A sold-out residency at Londons Bush Hall last year and support slots with David Gray and Jamie Cullum amongst others built up a huge buzz, leading to a major deal with Sony and his new debut album, Feather And Stone.

"The Buckley debt is still evident, but Ed Harcourt and Ben Christophers are the chief competitors and, as both release new albums this autumn, it will be fascinating to compare." Uncut

"Tom Baxter has a pretty ordinary name, but this singer has an extraordinary, expressive voice, reminiscent of ol' Jeff himself, but with a firmness and earthiness that stops it flying off into a helium-filled orbit. " Irish Times

Aye, there seems to have been as much exctiement around the announcement of Paddy Casey as support as there has been for Tom himself.

Apparently Paddy has sold 130,000 albums in Ireland (not that sales are the be all and end all) - will be checking it out myself to see what the buzz is about.

How come Ben Folds cancelled?

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Baxter Gig

I too was due to take a trip down to Glasgow for Ben Folds and only found out on the Sunday of the cancellation but, cutting a long story short I was not unduly worried because I knew of the Tom Baxter gig at the Lemon tree. an excellent show but completely marred by what must have been the noisiest bar ever. Obviously there were large nos. present for Paddy Casey but I don't know if there was any attempt to tone them down and show a wee bit of respect for the main act.

Obviously when you attend a gig and the bar is open you expect a bit of a racket/atmosphere but this was way above the norm and clearly impacted on Tom Baxter and band who were actually having difficulty hearing.

I got the impression they couldn't wait to get off stage...a pity.

Sorry for the moan...

I don't know if there was any attempt to tone them down and show a wee bit of respect for the main act.

Obviously when you attend a gig and the bar is open you expect a bit of a racket/atmosphere but this was way above the norm and clearly impacted on Tom Baxter and band who were actually having difficulty hearing.

Yeah, it was pretty noisy, though it was a tricky situation as there were so many of the audience in to see Paddy Casey. A shame, but it's pretty difficult to tell 250 odd people to be quiet.