aberdeen-music

t13 looking for managment

she said

I'm curious why you maybe feel you guys couldn't do this yourself....?

I've always wondered what the big thing around having a "manager" was for many local acts. For me, hunting out and booking gigs, sending out promo materials and CDs, organising travel, etc, etc is something most bands would be capable of if they tried. I admit, most people have regular jobs and other commitments, but then so do their managers usually!

Just wondering.

Guest stuartmaxwell
A manager might be more able to space their gigs out over the course of the year.

yeah

true

t13 need to get out of aberdeen a lot more than they do

playing drummonds, lemon tree, kef and drakes every week is doing nothing for them :)

Sometimes local bands need a "manager" in the sence that they can bring the band a wider range of contacts and help get a foot in the door.

The music industry is all about who you know after all.

Fair enough, but how many of the people that you can think of who have undertaken to manage a local band had any useful contacts in the industry that benifited that band?

Fair enough' date=' but how many of the people that you can think of who have undertaken to manage a local band had any useful contacts in the industry that benifited that band?[/quote']

I've done ok for my bands I think, it depends how you look on progressing the band. A good manager always makes new contacts as they go along as well, you can do well with one contact who you can get to inbtroduce you to other contacts.

Cheers

Stuart

I've done ok for my bands I think' date=' it depends how you look on progressing the band. A good manager always makes new contacts as they go along as well, you can do well with one contact who you can get to inbtroduce you to other contacts.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Yep, but again, nothing I don't think a band can't do both on an individual and collective level themselves. I can understand a really busy or well known band needing the help, as there are only so many things a person can do in a day, but I think you'd need to be right up there to fit into that situation.

Yep' date=' but again, nothing I don't think a band can't do both on an individual and collective level themselves. I can understand a really busy or well known band needing the help, as there are only so many things a person can do in a day, but I think you'd need to be right up there to fit into that situation.[/quote']

I disagree, it's a lot to do with how you sell themselves that makes the difference. A prime example, as i've done with bands before, the band can send something to a band or a label about support etc and never hear anything back, i can send to the same person and get stuff back. Not every band has someone that can do that. Sending out demoes is only part of selling your band, writing a good release and getting people to take you seriously is something too. Jo's had a lot of success because we work well as a team, and because of it she's played Barrowlands, Hellendoorn, the Amsterdam Paradiso, Dingwalls and played with some great bands, and we have 5 dates lined up next year each one to over 500 people, the biggest to a potential 8,000. If it's that easy then why isn't every band doing it ? I'm building up contacts as I go. A good band coupled with a good manager can go far, but the right p[erson to bring out the best in the artist can't always be found in a band, for example i have no musical talent so i stick to what i'm good at. I will say that its possible that you can find them within the band but it's unlikely.

Cheers

Stuart