aberdeen-music

No Perfect Albums in 12 years

jester1470

See now this I agree with' date=' i can't think of any albums in the last 10 years i listen to as much as the older ones, with the posible exception of Dido's albums and that was just mellow background music, not music i listen to every day and really, really enjoy.

[url']http://www.avrev.com/news/1004/14.perfectrecord.html

cheers

Stuart

I missed out on the start of this...

but, (and hear the groans)...

you haven't heard the Jamie Lidell LP...

he he, now that is an LP i can put on, and simply press "play" when it finishes, and I never get bored of it.

peep

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of Modest Mouse's albums have been perfect, the Arcade Fire's Funeral is perfect, The Concretes self titled is perfect, The Libertines' two releases were perfect, OK Computer was perfect... for myself and maybe just myself. A lot of things were perfect for a lot of different people and I hate those bastards who always cling on to to those precious years circa Pink Floyd and all and won't relent that maybe some new bands are worth a damn. I never enjoyed Pink Floyd. Go figure. I liked the Velvet Underground and the Beatles but I never liked Pink Floyd. You think maybe it's time to admit that maybe some people just have different music tastes and stop being such an unrelenting fascist?

Most of Modest Mouse's albums have been perfect' date=' the Arcade Fire's Funeral is perfect, The Concretes self titled is perfect, The Libertines' two releases were perfect, OK Computer was perfect... for myself and maybe just myself. A lot of things were perfect for a lot of different people and I hate those bastards who always cling on to to those precious years circa Pink Floyd and all and won't relent that maybe some new bands are worth a damn. I never enjoyed Pink Floyd. Go figure. I liked the Velvet Underground and the Beatles but I never liked Pink Floyd. You think maybe it's time to admit that maybe some people just have different music tastes and stop being such an unrelenting fascist?[/quote']

I feel that albums today are not as classic (perfect) as albums from 10 years ago but thats maybe because they are the albums you grew up with and have special memories associated with them.

Or maybe its because 10 years ago you didn't have the collection you have now so you had a limited choice therfore you played the same album more often. If you didn't rate it first listen you were more likely to give it another try and probably appreciating it alot more.

I think time is the problem with so many albums you just dont make as much effort to get into them, if your not enjoying it you just change it to something you will enjoy which 9 times out of 10 is an older favourite.

Or maybe its because 10 years ago you didn't have the collection you have now so you had a limited choice therfore you played the same album more often. If you didn't rate it first listen you were more likely to give it another try and probably appreciating it alot more.

I think that's particularly true,

when I was a student, and had limited funds to buy music, I just bought "the biggies"...Sound garden, Smashing pumkins, Helmet etc...and, played them constantly in the car, till the next biggie came out....making the releases more memorable / special / "perfect"...

now, luckily having some disposable income, I can buy 3 lp's a week (on a good week), and buy things by chance, whim, whatever...and I've collect so many (as jake points out) I've got so many to listen to , that's it's nigh on impossilbe to know every lyric, every arrangement etc anywmore.

I'd still dissagree that there are "no perfect lp's" (nice point tam, it's art, not maths), but, in my book, I've heard a few "perfect" lps in the last few years.

I feel that albums today are not as classic (perfect) as albums from 10 years ago but thats maybe because they are the albums you grew up with and have special memories associated with them.

I think time is the problem with so many albums you just dont make as much effort to get into them' date=' if your not enjoying it you just change it to something you will enjoy which 9 times out of 10 is an older favourite.[/quote']

I've got to agree that the less alums you had, the more you listened to them. Now I'll buy a CD and put it on a few times then it gathers dust, so I never really get totally into it before I make another purchase.

Another point is that many albums sound cool at first, then when you listen years later it's dated badly. So it takes time to see a really good album.

You going to see Hot Mangu, Mind Gone Blind and Ded Rabbit in the Ocean on Saturday then Mr M?