aberdeen-music

No Perfect Albums in 12 years

jester1470

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tool - lateralus

It is not classic or 'perfect' in the sense that the writer is talking about. It doens't bear resemblance to the other artists in his lists except maybe zepplin, for being hellishly boring.

He's right about Stewart Copeland, they don't make em like they used too! ;)

• 1 month later...

I disagree with the article too: while I take the point that he's talking about genre inventing records rather than great ones, even if this were true would it actually be a bad thing? If an original band appears and spawns a wave of imitations where's the glory in that? Not the biggest Radiohead fan in the world but you could say there's a positive glut of bands trying to sound like them (including some that pre-date them!)

2004 for me was a great year for music: the only thing I think we are really missing is the once great live scene, which is healthier than it has been for a while but is still almost invisible compared to the early 70s.

• 8 months later...
Guest bluesxman

Dido? DIDO??? The sort of bland pish that people with no real love of music buy because it's 'nice to have on in the background'....meets the same requirements as Beautiful South, M People and god knows what other shit.

That guy is entitled to his opinion but it is the most flawed argument I have ever seen. Now I have always liked U2 in some form or fashion since I discovered them with Under A Blood Red Sky, but there are a few of their albums I will never own because their music was garbage at that point - he lists Zooropa as 'near perfect'! It has possibly 3 or 4 great tracks and a load of filler.

Most people are going to have music that has been important to them over the last 10 years but there will always be someone else to shoot their choices down - to me something like Dirty Three's Whatever You Love You Are is a perfect album from start to finish but i'm sure some people would listen and say 'why are you listening to something with a violin as the main instrument?'

It's all down to personal taste. And i'm glad my mind is open slightly more than that guy's, i'm constantly discovering great new music, much to the pain of my wallet and house space.

• 2 weeks later...
Dido? DIDO??? The sort of bland pish that people with no real love of music buy because it's 'nice to have on in the background'....meets the same requirements as Beautiful South' date=' M People and god knows what other shit.

That guy is entitled to his opinion but it is the most flawed argument I have ever seen. Now I have always liked U2 in some form or fashion since I discovered them with Under A Blood Red Sky, but there are a few of their albums I will never own because their music was garbage at that point - he lists Zooropa as 'near perfect'! It has possibly 3 or 4 great tracks and a load of filler...[/quote']

I'd have to completely agree with you there...

Dido? DIDO??? The sort of bland pish that people with no real love of music buy because it's 'nice to have on in the background'....meets the same requirements as Beautiful South' date=' M People and god knows what other shit. [/quote']

If it's any help I also like the Beautifull South, they are the masters of bitter songs with pretty tunes.

I still like Dido, I have tatu's new album and I'm going to see Duran Duran :) I have a real love of music, I'd challenge anyone to state otherwise and I think DIdo's a very good songwriter, a great lyricist, White Flag has some amazing words, they sum up the end of a relationship better than just about any song I've heard. Dido's an easy target, she sells a lot of album, theres a lot of crossover so because of that people assume that people who like her dont like music, well thats not true for a start.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest bluesxman
If it's any help I also like the Beautifull South' date=' they are the masters of bitter songs with pretty tunes.

I still like Dido, I have tatu's new album and I'm going to see Duran Duran :) I have a real love of music, I'd challenge anyone to state otherwise and I think DIdo's a very good songwriter, a great lyricist, White Flag has some amazing words, they sum up the end of a relationship better than just about any song I've heard. Dido's an easy target, she sells a lot of album, theres a lot of crossover so because of that people assume that people who like her dont like music, well thats not true for a start.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Well, I actually like Duran Duran - the old stuff, after Ordinary World they lost the plot for me - trying to cover White Lines, WTF? They had good tunes that at least had some variance about them. Beautiful South never bothered me initially because I liked the Housemartins and had faith in old Paul initially but they just make the same record over and over.

I wasn't actually having a go at you personally with respect to Dido, apologies if it came over that way, anyone coming on here is unlikely to fit the bill of who I was ranting about, but her music to me is just dull.

If it's any help I also like the Beautifull South' date=' they are the masters of bitter songs with pretty tunes.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Jesus holy fucking chuffing christ. There's no need for anyone to challange your love of music - you're doing a good job of that yourself by listing bland corporate MOR that only challenges Grannies of 80.

Dido isn't an easy target because she sells - she's an easy target because she's as dull as dishwater. Aural wallpaper for people who shop for their ready meals in Waitrose or M&S and think that they're cultured.

do yourself a favour & cut your ears off - it's better in the long run for all concerned.

and as for tatu.....

i'll leave it to The Scotsman's review today -

tATu: DANGEROUS AND MOVING **

THE Russian babes don't fare any better. Creepy pseudo-lesbian chipmunks tATu have ditched the school uniforms, but changed little else on their second album. Dangerous and Moving is another slickly produced catalogue of softcore lyrics about obsessive relationships - hey boys, they mean with each other - set to piledriving Euro beats and light industrial guitars. "He loves me/he loves me not/she loves me/she loves me not," they shrill on the typically blatant Loves Me Not. Pop music was never meant to be subtle but it is a fickle form and what was shocking two years ago is entirely pass now.

Jesus holy fucking chuffing christ. There's no need for anyone to challange your love of music - you're doing a good job of that yourself by listing bland corporate MOR that only challenges Grannies of 80.

Dido isn't an easy target because she sells - she's an easy target because she's as dull as dishwater. Aural wallpaper for people who shop for their ready meals in Waitrose or M&S and think that they're cultured.

do yourself a favour & cut your ears off - it's better in the long run for all concerned.

I listen to lots of different things and enjoy different types of music depending on my mood. You can't judge people based on themusic they listen to, it doesnt work that way, take for example tonight, the Fish gig, All sorts of people from all walks of life are going because they all happen to like the singer, I know teachers, Environmental health officers, students, singers, librarians, someone who runs a multi million pound company, web designers, all going because they like the music, noit because they're a certain type of person. They all listen a lot to different types of music but have one that unites them in this case.

You're a typical musical snob, music doesnt have to be deep and meaningfull, sometimes it can just be entertaining and who the hell are you to tell me what should entertain me. In your opinion Dido is bland but your opinion is no more or less relevant than mine.

I am a music fan, I enjoy listening and I can take many different things from different types of music, an example, personally I dont like the Manics - a lot of people on here love them I find them dull but I'm not right and they're not wrong.

If we all liked the same music where would the challenge in making music be ?

Cheers

Stuart

and as for tatu.....

i'll leave it to The Scotsman's review today -

tATu: DANGEROUS AND MOVING **

THE Russian babes don't fare any better. Creepy pseudo-lesbian chipmunks tATu have ditched the school uniforms' date=' but changed little else on their second album. Dangerous and Moving is another slickly produced catalogue of softcore lyrics about obsessive relationships - hey boys, they mean with each other - set to piledriving Euro beats and light industrial guitars. "He loves me/he loves me not/she loves me/she loves me not," they shrill on the typically blatant Loves Me Not. Pop music was never meant to be subtle but it is a fickle form and what was shocking two years ago is entirely pass now.[/quote']

And yes i take all my musical advice from the Scotsman so I'll stop liking it immediately, IMO tatu did some of the best and catchiest pop of the last 5 years.

Cheers

Stuart

And yes i take all my musical advice from the Scotsman so I'll stop liking it immediately' date=' IMO tatu did some of the best and catchiest pop of the last 5 years.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Catchiest pop of the last 5 years? The music was the last thing that they were concerned with - despite getting Horne in to produce. They'd have been as well just calling their album "Schoolgirl Lesbos to Wank Over".

I listen to lots of different things and enjoy different types of music depending on my mood. You can't judge people based on themusic they listen to' date=' it doesnt work that way, take for example tonight, the Fish gig, All sorts of people from all walks of life are going because they all happen to like the singer, I know teachers, Environmental health officers, students, singers, librarians, someone who runs a multi million pound company, web designers, all going because they like the music, noit because they're a certain type of person. They all listen a lot to different types of music but have one that unites them in this case.

You're a typical musical snob, music doesnt have to be deep and meaningfull, sometimes it can just be entertaining and who the hell are you to tell me what should entertain me. In your opinion Dido is bland but your opinion is no more or less relevant than mine.

I am a music fan, I enjoy listening and I can take many different things from different types of music, an example, personally I dont like the Manics - a lot of people on here love them I find them dull but I'm not right and they're not wrong.

If we all liked the same music where would the challenge in making music be ?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

I don't consider myself a snob - music matters to me & i'm always up for hearing something new & exciting. Your musical pallete seems quite narrow, to tell the truth - i'd be very suprised if you're a fan of hip hop, techno, reggae, avant garde or anything off the beaten track (please don't list the token CDs you own in any of those genre's by the way).

I wasn't really aware of Fish's appeal to Environmental Health Officers but, hey, there you go, eh? Amazing what you find out. I'll resist the temptation to say that the majority of the crowd will be there out of sheer nostalgia at the thought of him playing a 20 year old album rather than any of his new material - musical safety yet again, eh?

I suppose people hit a stage in life where the music "the kids" are listening to just becomes noise to them. Fair enough, if that's the road you want to go down then it's your decision. Personally, I'd rather be challanged than placated.

You're right about the Manics though - they've been dull for the best part of a decadde now.

By the way, the thing that got on my goat about this whole thread & your opinion in general was spelled out in the first post -

See now this I agree with' date=' i can't think of any albums in the last 10 years i listen to as much as the older ones, with the posible exception of Dido's albums and that was just mellow background music, not music i listen to every day and really, really enjoy.

[/quote']

I just despair that anyone cannot find something worthwhile in the last ten years & then admit their favourite is "mellow background music".

By the way' date=' the thing that got on my goat about this whole thread & your opinion in general was spelled out in the first post -

I just despair that anyone cannot find something worthwhile in the last ten years & then admit their favourite is "mellow background music".[/quote']

But isnt thatthe point, this is subjective, I dont like anything done particularly recently, although since that was written Field of Crows by Fish is a possibilty..

I'm not sure why you think Fish is pure nostalgisa, there is a bit of that sure, but he managed to do a near sell out of the Carling in Glasgow last year and with a new record deal and proper advertising he's doing better now than for 10 years audience wise,

Cheers

Stuart