aberdeen-music

Smoking Band In Scottish Pubs

jaimi

Both my aunite and my grandmother dies of lung cancer after smoking heavily... My gran fair enough was in her 70's.. but my Auntie at the time was in her early 40's. I prefer not to be in the company of smokers... And at times it has kept me from staying in some bars (when it has been too excessive), and it has stopped me from seeing many friends at times... That may be very sad and pathetic to some people, but I have the right not to breath in people's smoke, and I have the right not to smell like a cigaerette for days after, and to feel dirty when I leave a pub. Im right behind this ban... but Im biased... (really I can see why the smokers have a case... but I just can't support it...)

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I knew someone would bring up that old chestnut :rolleyes:

quite a lot of the time yes it is.....but why should it?

But not for much longer......bring on the ban...yeehaa!!

I just think that if everyone REALLY found smoking as unpleasant as they say, then there would be not one single non-smoker in ANY pub or club. I actually agree with you, why should you put up with it? So, why not some form of compromise instead of a blanket ban? Better ventilation seems the ideal way of meeting in the middle. Oh, you mentioned drink being harmless, well, go to A&E on a Friday or Saturday night!

I would say this is meeting halfway between better ventialtion... And an absoloute outright ban. The government could just ban smoking outright (which it would never do). Just say quite simple, smoking is a crime. They could say we will throw a 20 year sentence at those caught smoking. But they are not doing that. They are still allowing smokers to smoke in the privacy of their own homes, giving them the right to do what the want in their private lives... In mnay public places though... Its just to much of a conflict of interests! Short of saying some bars are smoke free and some arent... but then the smokers would cry discrimination and vice versa. There aint going to be a happy, please all solution, but I have to say, I think the majority support it.

I just think that if everyone REALLY found smoking as unpleasant as they say' date=' then there would be not one single non-smoker in ANY pub or club. I actually agree with you, why should you put up with it? So, why not some form of compromise instead of a blanket ban? Better ventilation seems the ideal way of meeting in the middle. Oh, you mentioned drink being harmless, well, go to A&E on a Friday or Saturday night![/quote']

You almost plead with me for compromise, if they ban it I'll be pleased, if they treat you all like lepers and make you sit in a corner with a huge extractor fan i'll be pleased...if they had done nothing then it wouldnt have bothered me untill the next time I came home stinking or I was diagnosed with smoke related cancer...then I wouldnt be pleased....

I have never said drink was harmless! but trust me my drinking will never harm you.