aberdeen-music

Smoking Band In Scottish Pubs

jaimi

Just checked the news to find that the goverment has banned smoking in public places today. Pubs are fecked now. But give me your veiws :swearing:

Okay we have til spring 2006, but i am unsure wether this is when all will be changed or a deadline to be sorted by.

As a smoker I feel this is an invasion of my human rights. I understand that smoking is deadly for me and others around me but so the fuck are cars, i see no ban there, whats next an alcohol ban in bars.

The title of this thread should read "Smoking banned in Scottish bars"

Guest onlynik

Well, they have banned leaded petrol, and the Kyoto Accord has been signed by all intellegent countries to reduce global warming by cutting emissions by 5.2% by 2010, so the governmaent are working on that level. I can't wait to have a ban in bars and clubs, I'll feel better and my clothes work stink of smoke.

I can't wait to have a ban in bars and clubs' date=' I'll feel better and my clothes work stink of smoke.[/quote']

Ok you dont like smoking in bars and clubs, but the fact is that the pub has got no choice to optout.

The fact that they reduced the pollution makes no diff (its still pulluting me and the planet, and yes I dont Drive), there are ciggeez out there that are less in both tar and nicotine (and all other dangerous substances) ban the strong ones.

Same principle as the cars!

Okay Hair wont be established, but mark my words violence shall increase and pub spendage shall decrease. Look at pubs in Ireland, they are reporting a major loss in sales.

They are also stating that smoke cover the odors that the smoke would cover, i.e. sweat.

I dont like to smoke around peeps who eat, i dont like it done around me when i eat. But to say that I CANT smoke in a pub is wrong. I hope that some pubs shall rebel against the law and allow smokers.

No smoking in bars will result in less peeps visiting bars = reduced alcahol sales = more pubs will close and with so few good pubs in Aberdeen, your fav pub could get shut and where will you be (not in you fav pub thats for sure).

I rant, I know, but this is wrong. I'll sit miles away from the bar in a dark corner.

If this sticks I demand that pubs shelters outside!

Yes very good Psydoll :rockon:

Here is my opinion-

Scotland has very fresh air compared to some parts of the world, i.e. Tokyo, Mexico City, NY etc. Air pollution in Scotland is minimal, were hardly in the centre of LA! So, why doesnt the goverment health warnings and advise people to wear masks like Tokyo? Because Scotland is a clean place in comparison to many other places around the Globe.

Why is smoking banned in Scotland? Because it harms people who are just wanting to drink. Drink in moderation is fine. Smoke 20 a day (which isnt that much compared to a lot of smokers) and you increase your chances of obtaining a smoke related disease by a large amount. Passive smoking, it also increases your chances of lung Cancer. Em, I dont want Lung Cancer!!!

On the other side of the coin, I think the Goverment should help pubs financially because this could effect some bars although it hasnt in places like Vancouver and NY.

Just my thoughts......

Jaimi still rocks!

A few points spring to mind:

How many bands, bearing in mind that if what Mad Jack said today is true smoking will be banned in dressing rooms as well as stages, will hotfoot it to Scotland for a tour?

Who's going to grass up the guy who's first to light up in the Belmont Bar?

Who's going to tell the prisoners in the Bar-L that they can't smoke any more?

Ok you dont like smoking in bars and clubs' date=' but the fact is that the pub has got no choice to optout.

The fact that they reduced the pollution makes no diff (its still pulluting me and the planet, and yes I dont Drive), there are ciggeez out there that are less in both tar and nicotine (and all other dangerous substances) ban the strong ones.

Same principle as the cars![/quote']

You're missing something quite important....as most smokers do....we need transportation to get all the consumer goodies to our shops, to get us all to work and play...

The world would survive as we know it without fucking fags...!!!

I could live with the ban if there was a choice.

I understand that at the moment non-smokers have no choice but I don't really see how depriving me of choice makes it better.

Since 75% of people in Scotland indicated they didn't want a ban in pubs/clubs, surely a compromise where pubs/clubs with adequate air filtering systems were allowed to let people smoke would be fairer. That way, if I wanted a pint and a fag, I wouldn't have to hide away in my own house with a can of beer and non-smokers would have a large choice of smoke free pubs to enjoy.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I really can't see this mollycoddling working very well at all. As a relatively heavy smoker, I am fully aware of the risks I run by continuing to smoke. I find the mental health benefits I derive from it balance out the health risks. I have no problem with better ventilation in bars/clubs, which would be a far better solution for all and does not breach my human rights.

On a side note, can you imagine what Windmill Brae would be like on a Friday or Saturday night if people had to nip outside for a smoke? Moshulu-goers and Drum-goers congregating together outside? Powderkeg.

Hog, I thought you did smoke? you were smoking on Saturday??

and in Ireland, it wasn't too bad. most pubs had little beer gardens/back bits with shelters for people to go outside and smoke in, and they were allwoed to take their pints. It became kind of a social thing to go outside for a fag and have a chat with different people. Was a cunt in Dublin went it was pouring rain though.

of course, I'd rather smoking just stayed in pubs. I like pints and fags in a some sickening death bringing cocktail.

does not breach my human rights.

Isnt it odd how smokers feel they have some god given right to polute the atmosphere I breath' date=' the by-product of you're filthy addiction can "at worst" kill [b']ME and "at best?!!" make me stink like you're disgusting ash tray, where are MY human rights....you've played the human rights card so dont pull out the 'you dont have to come into pubs' card as well.

When I drink beer the by-product is urine...how would you feel if I were to piss all over you in a pub? Thats not a pleasant thought is it....but hey what the fuck it wont KILL you.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Isnt it odd how smokers feel they have some god given right to polute the atmosphere I breath' date=' the by-product of you're filthy addiction can "at worst" kill [b']ME and "at best?!!" make me stink like you're disgusting ash tray, where are MY human rights....you've played the human rights card so dont pull out the 'you dont have to come into pubs' card as well.

When I drink beer the by-product is urine...how would you feel if I were to piss all over you in a pub? Thats not a pleasant thought is it....but hey what the fuck it wont KILL you.

It's not revolting enough to keep you out of the pub, is it?