aberdeen-music

Next Aberdeen band to make it ?

jester1470

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest neil ex

i bought the dedalus/politik split yesterday. haven't listened to it yet though.

i'd say politik sound sonic youth influenced, but that's it. they don't really sound like sonic youth much at all.

surely a sonic youth quality would mean they have the potential to reach a large audience' date=' be musically inventive yet still have a commercial appeal while compromising as little as possible and influence as many as you can? [/quote']

This is what i meant in the first place with my comments on their 'sonic youth qualities'.

Anyone who got the wrong idea by what i said wasnt reading into it.

They sound nothing like sy, and i think you havent taken the time to listen to them if you think they rip them off. Cause they dont.

So fuck all of you!!!!

The other problem' date=' as i see it with many bands are that they have a few talented members but not everyone is up tot the same level

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Every person in our band is a total fucking genius

But ''making it'' on record company terms is for shitheads only

Ironically shitheads obsessed with sucking corporate dick infest Aberdeen

But being successful at what you do is different and we are that anyway

Spunkburger

Every person in our band is a total fucking genius

But ''making it'' on record company terms is for shitheads only

Ironically shitheads obsessed with sucking corporate dick infest Aberdeen

But being successful at what you do is different and we are that anyway

Spunkburger

I find it really funny you'd say this after making comments about how well you'd done by getting played on Radio 1 and MTV2 etc. That is being successful in record companiy terms. surely.

Yeah you'd have to be a complete 'shithead' to want to be able to do what you enjoy as a living, to be paid enough that you never have to worry and to be able to travel and do exciting things, why would anyone want that ??

Sounds a tad like sour grapes to me.

I'm glad you feel you're successful, you are right to think that is the most important, but why bother to keep trying if you've achieved everything you want to achieve?

i think to think everyone who's in your band are geniuses is laughable, if that were true then you wouldn't be able to keep the labels away whether you wanted them or not. Bands have to progress and move on to survive, thinking you're a genius is hardly going to encourage the learning of new things.

Cheers

Stuart

Oh dear.... *drugs Betamax up again*

The phrase "genius" is an 'in-joke' within our wee poopy band... or is that poppy? ... maybe poopy.... whatever...

He means it in a sense that we all work together very well... or at least we think so. What we achieved - and I'm aware I wasn't a part of all of it - as 'Real Shocks' doesn't really matter anymore, we're doing a different thing now, under a different name and so and so forth... so really... we've achieved SFA at this junction as far as "Nme wowzer Bonus stars!!!" are concerned.

Personally I'd be mortified if I saw my own face on a Pepsi can... that level of success is terrifying...

I just realised I'm speaking shite... I'll stop now.

I find it really funny you'd say this after making comments about how well you'd done by getting played on Radio 1 and MTV2 etc. That is being successful in record companiy terms. surely.

Yeah you'd have to be a complete 'shithead' to want to be able to do what you enjoy as a living' date=' to be paid enough that you never have to worry and to be able to travel and do exciting things, why would anyone want that ??

I'm glad you feel you're successful, you are right to think that is the most important, but why bother to keep trying if you've achieved everything you want to achieve?

i think to think everyone who's in your band are geniuses is laughable, if that were true then you wouldn't be able to keep the labels away whether you wanted them or not. Bands have to progress and move on to survive, thinking you're a genius is hardly going to encourage the learning of new things.

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

i think the idea that record labels are fighting over musical genius' is rubbish. you need to get over the idea that major labels and record sales are comparable to the artist's talent, they bare no relation. there are loads of genius musician's and bands out there who struggle to get recognition or deals like lapsus linguae. whereas knuckle scraping pop zombies like blue rule the world.

i think the idea that record labels are fighting over musical genius' is rubbish. you need to get over the idea that major labels and record sales are comparable to the artist's talent' date=' they bare no relation. there are loads of genius musician's and bands out there who struggle to get recognition or deals like lapsus linguae. whereas knuckle scraping pop zombies like blue rule the world.[/quote']

I don't for a second think that record sales/record labels are comparable to a musicians talent. I do think if a band is filled with geniuses and the band are musically that innovative and intersting then they will have a fanbase that will mean that there is record company interest. Record companies are intersated in sales and if a band was that brilliant and that incredible then they would have reasonable fanbase, that alone would interest labels. The 2 don't necessarly go together but they often do. I don't know lapsus linguae so I can't say whether or not they are geniuses inthe term of being innovative and great musicians etc. I don't think that a major label is a way of measuring talent, I do think that most people here are so indoctrinated into the small label = good, big laebl = bad mindset. It's never that simple. A small label is as likely to screw you over than a big one.

Offhand I can't think of any band that's made up of complete geniuses and if i could I would expect them to be signed pdq. Even my favourite bands have weak spots, I hold with the fact if there is any band where every member was a bonafide musical genius then they'd have the fanbase and thereby record company interest. You don't have to agree with that but that's up to you, i'm not equating talent with label interest, rather if a band was truly that innovative and everything was that good, i still think things would be different, everyone has a different view of genius, I can think of very few modern musicians that come close to that for me.

Cheers

Stuart

Yeah you'd have to be a complete 'shithead' to want to be able to do what you enjoy as a living' date=' to be paid enough that you never have to worry and to be able to travel and do exciting things, why would anyone want that ??

Cheers

Stuart[/quote']

Sorry I dont agree with anything you say

You live on a far away planet from mine and obviously do not even begin to compute my information

And since when have genius' ever appealed to major labels?....get fucking real. The shelves in ASDA are brimming with music by retards....or hadnt you noticed?

I don't for a second think that record sales/record labels are comparable to a musicians talent. I do think if a band is filled with geniuses and the band are musically that innovative and intersting then they will have a fanbase that will mean that there is record company interest.

Stuart

Oh Stuart you really do need to wake up to the real world....

What are there now? is it three or four majors in the world? they couldnt give a shit about genius (or talent) or a fanbase, they know whats going to earn them big money and manufacture product to please that market.

They dont give a shit for bands doing a bit of business out there because they know that a large number of their fans will drop that band the minute they sign to a major anyway.

Its all a dream....real talent seldom gets a break.

Oh dear.... *drugs Betamax up again*

The phrase "genius" is an 'in-joke' within our wee poopy band... or is that poppy? ... maybe poopy.... whatever...

He means it in a sense that we all work together very well... or at least we think so. What we achieved - and I'm aware I wasn't a part of all of it - as 'Real Shocks' doesn't really matter anymore' date=' we're doing a different thing now, under a different name and so and so forth... so really... we've achieved SFA at this junction as far as "Nme wowzer Bonus stars!!!" are concerned.

Personally I'd be mortified if I saw my own face on a Pepsi can... that level of success is terrifying...

I just realised I'm speaking shite... I'll stop now.[/quote']

Whether you realise it or not you are a fucking genius. I just decided. There is also recorded evidence to prove this. Loads of it.

True that TV have acheived nothing in media terms compared to RealShocks (yet). But we are WAY more successful at doing the shit we do. Therefor much better. Success is not measured by radio plays etc (in my opinion). Most of that type of media thing is random and accidental anyway.

Fuck Shit Up.

True that TV have acheived nothing in media terms compared to RealShocks (yet). But we are WAY more successful at doing the shit we do. Therefor much better.

Very impressive. One plop or two?

Guest neil ex
Sorry I dont agree with anything you say

You live on a far away planet from mine and obviously do not even begin to compute my information

And since when have genius' ever appealed to major labels?....get fucking real. The shelves in ASDA are brimming with music by retards....or hadnt you noticed?

pluto_thumb.png

Pluto, the furthest away discovered planet. There has not been life found on Pluto though as it's said to be far too cold for a start.