aberdeen-music

Next Aberdeen band to make it ?

jester1470

With such a diverse output of bands in Aberdeen, which bands do you think have what it takes to really hit the bigger audience, are there any that have what it takes to attract the majors and get the good supports and get out there, or are most bands going to end up playing countless small gigs around the UK making no money and having to keep their day jobs ?

Obviously i discount any of the bands i work withj on this cos they're bound to be huge ;)

Seriously though, does anyone have what it takes, and for those that might have what it takes what do you think they need to chnage (if anything) to make it.

Cheers

Stuart

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stuartmaxwell

maple and les reno amps have that sound which could be big (not my thing at all though!!), eric euan, aka the fox?

julia thirteen are almost signed to a major

alamos *cough* we gave em their first out of town gig *cough* are about to go big

guts on fire of north east scotland have a cult following (if you can call them an aberdeen act)

Guest valley69
:popcorn:the videos could go pretty far i reckon..Turning 13 have already got a fair bit of respect in the scottish music scene and with a bit of publicity i think that they could do something pretty big. Ive only seen aka the fox once but it was a poor gig cos the sound was shit but ive heard really good things about them. Daedalus are looking and sounding really good just now, the singing is fucking ace as are the wee geetar parts..the only problem is interpol kinda have that whole reverb thing going on but i dont see any reason why daedalus couldnt make it big. Theres a lot of good bands coming out in the city at the mo, it just takes a lot of hard work. A lot of people argue that theres a certain age bracket in which you have to make it and to a certain extent this is true. The argument goes like this -' a group of 'lads' or 'trendy's' would probably think it 'uncool' if a four 40 year olds were to pop up on the old tv screen.' . To a certain extent that is true but i think that if you are a true music fan age wouldnt matter one bit..however the type of society we live in sees image as everything which always gets confused with the music. :band:

The only band that have made me say to myself "Fucking hell' date=' how is this a local band????" are Dedalus. I'm convinced all they need to do is pop up in the right places and things'll happen for them.[/quote']

With some help from Rough Trade, I'd have Dedalus as a good chance at getting somewhere. I think you'll find that any "next band to make it" from aberdeen will be a band that;s trying to make "their own music", and not sound like a covers band of the current "faves". If you understand how the music business works, if you "try to sound" like your favourite band, in the hope that you'll get signed, I think you are kidding yourself, music men have moved on from that sound, and are then "trying to find the next big sound"...anything in the chart will have been developed 3-4 years ago!

Maple certainly are going to rty and get heard by the right people (this time!) I'd imagine if no one picks up on this LP...we could see the end of maple. We'll see.

who'd a thunk we had a meeting in London with Indipendiente about 6 years ago now...and showcased for One Little Indian...(when we were still a 3 piece)

Fuck Getting Signed

Beware what you ask for kids , being signed means getting into a lot of debt and having to work your way out of it for years , just do it yourselves , it's more fun and nothing beats gigging , although if you can handle inane interviews and miming to your stuff, I'm not stopping you , puppets.

Guest tv tanned

It is a mystery to me that Jo McCafferty is not very very big.

The Needles deserve some fucking success.

I'd love Deadloss to make it big just to see them scare the shit out of the TOTP audiences :D

i'm really not too sure if there are any local bands that will make it, at the moment at least, although i would love to be proven wrong.

ok fair enough you do have to sound original and not be jumping on the band wagon of your fav bands but you also need the hooks.

the melody and the catchy hooks appeal to the masses and if your gonna make it big then thats what uve gotta have.

i haven't really seen alot of aberdeen bands with the hooks, when i leave im whistling their tunes, you know what i mean?

one band i did like was liber8 that song summer was ace!! now thats a hook you could leave the show singing woah oh oh oh. yeh thats what im talking about.

i'm really not too sure if there are any local bands that will make it' date=' at the moment at least, although i would love to be proven wrong.

ok fair enough you do have to sound original and not be jumping on the band wagon of your fav bands but you also need the hooks.

the melody and the catchy hooks appeal to the masses and if your gonna make it big then thats what uve gotta have.

i haven't really seen alot of aberdeen bands with the hooks, when i leave im whistling their tunes, you know what i mean?

one band i did like was liber8 that song summer was ace!! now thats a hook you could leave the show singing woah oh oh oh. yeh thats what im talking about.[/quote']

I think there are a few that could make it, but possibly not many of the 'scene' bands. Whats needed as I see it (tho i'm no expert), is musical talent, showmanship, great songs, strong management, and the ability to come across well offstage. There are a few bands/acts that have some of these but very few that have all. The majority of the bands/acts that have it all is outwith the scene.

The other problem, as i see it with many bands are that they have a few talented members but not everyone is up tot the same level, it means theres probably a few amazing supergorups out there if everyone came together.

Cheers

Stuart

yeh i agree with the showmanship and great songs and of course you need to have a degree of talent, but its no use being able to play like steve vai when you can't write a good song, therefore if you have got the ambition and drive to make it to the top then that might carry you through.

im not sure about the management side but you need someone whos not going to screw you over.

heh, i love these threads. everyone has such different ideas of what constitutes 'making it' that it renders them completely pointless. to me making it was being able to record 3 songs i believed in and being proud of the results and having people i don't know say they enjoyed it. i really don't see why a band needs a manager to make it either. it's just another person to rip you off. fair enough if it's someone you trust implicitly and who can help you and is in it for the music but most managers seem to be in it for the money but that's another thread entirely.

for us the only aim we have is to release an album and be entirely proud of every song on it and for the record label to get distribution so that people can buy it. if that happens then we'll be made. i just wanna go into a shop anywhere in the country and ask about our cd and the staff will be able to find it on their computer. that'd be cool. it'd be even cooler if there was a wee board with our name on it in the cd's but that's wishful thinking.

if you wanna aim for top of the pops and a number one album then there's nothing stopping you, frankly anyone can do that if you right a decent pop song and get the right breaks(and work your fucking arse off) and there's no reason why a band in aberdeen can't do it but i can't think of anyone who's going to off the top of my head. bands who could very easily be 'signed' and get a bit of press though would certianly include, maple, eric euan, my minds weapon, politik, masamune, staccatto set(though ziggy lives in glasgow now i think), aka the fox and probably a good half dozen more. it all depends on your idea of success though really. i think aka the fox could probably be absolutley huge if they got the right gigs.

at the end of the day do it for your own reasons and not for how others perceive success, if all you wanna do is play drakes and you'll be happy then do that and if you'll only be happy once you've had a top 40 album and single then go for that but it's got to be fun doing it and it has to be something you believe in or it's all just crap.

incidentally i bought the maple album today and have to say it's one of the finest things i've purchased in ages, worth the 6 year wait! :)

yeh i agree with the showmanship and great songs and of course you need to have a degree of talent' date=' but its no use being able to play like steve vai when you can't write a good song, therefore if you have got the ambition and drive to make it to the top then that might carry you through.

im not sure about the management side but you need someone whos not going to screw you over.[/quote']

Being a manager myself I tend to believe that good management is very important ;) It's often something that bands don't need but if you're trying to make it and get away from the local 'scene' then I think that a manager is something that certainly makes band's life's a lot easier.

I think that a lot of managers do get bad press, certainly in the case of bigger bands, I remember speaking to the ex-manager of a very well known scottish pop/rock band, who told me that in the late 80's his band were playing Wembley Stadium and he was there with the drummer looking out over the audience and said 'wow, look at all those people, thats amazing' to which the drummer responded 'aye, but you make sure get your cut'. This left the manager speechless, he did get his cut but there was a time when his cut was 10-20% of nothing after he gave up a well paid job to work with them and he was wearing out his car and van driving said band around Scotland and he'd been the one to build up the profile and get ther band noticed. Fair enough that was then and this was now - maybe they didn't need him as much then as before, but a band should remember that without their strong management they might not have been where they were, the old arguement is that without a goood manager they might not have had to pay 20% of their earnings but instead of a million or so a year their earnings might have been nothing.

Some managers will screw you over, but of you find one you trust who really does seem to make things happen for you its worth sticking with them instead of moving onto the more showy one that insists they'll make you the next big thing. I think bands often go for the one who promises the earth instead of going for the one who actually has the knowledge and contacts to help them out. A good manager is worth their weight in gold, a bad one is like a bad musisican, someone to be replaced, the problem is its often more difficult to tell, but you know who you trust and who actually achieves stuff.

Cheers

/stuart

incidentally i bought the maple album today and have to say it's one of the finest things i've purchased in ages' date=' worth the 6 year wait! :)[/quote']

he he...nothing to do with your name being on there then...

I also agre witht he Staccato set choice...shame ziggy buggered off to glasgow...oh...hold on...2 of our members pissed of to glasgow! (he he).

Biz, "fuck getting signed"...why ? the more people hear the music, the better...surely ? if it's "getting in bed with the music busines"...do some research, get a decent lable, there are plenty out there.