aberdeen-music

Smoking Ban to become law...

PaulDW

Also people are not going to stop drinking just because they can smoke in public' date=' in scotland only 27% of us actually smoke. What about the rest of the population that dont currently go to pubs just because of smoking.[/quote']

There is strong scientific evidence that certain people are genetically and psychologically more likely to take psychoactive substances. Those are the people most likely to drink and also smoke. Agressive non-smokers would have us believe that they'd all come rushing into bars and clubs if smoking were banned, but in reality the majority of those people aren't heavily into drinking either. Many of them would consider one night out every 3 months to be 'frequent'. Their agenda is to ensure that bars are smoke free for those rare moments when they feel the urge for a stiff Pimms.

Please bear in mind that I am in favour of the ban... but there's no point kidding ourselves that only 27% of the PUB GOING population smoke, or that the non-pub going population will suddenly want to get wankered every other night. No no no no no!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if those figures took into account the 11pm price hike' date=' it only mentioned smoking.

However, the 11pm price hike shouldn't affect jobs, the amount of jobs in a pub depends on how many people are needed at the busiest times, so if it's busier before 11 they should need more staff, or at least the same as before, not 14% less.

If pubs in Ireland close at midnight normally, I can't see that having an effect on staff levels at all, only on their paypackets.[/quote']

I don't know either, but will ask. However I do know that the fierce resistance from the licensed trade has been stirred up by representatives from the tobacco firms visiting pubs and clubs and quite frankly scaremongering by thrusting heavily biased figure and stats under the noses of licencees already under financial pressure. The more sensible people are telling them to fuck off and in fact I know at least one pub in Elgin which has already banned smoking and reports an upturn and no loss of smoking regulars.

I don't know if those figures took into account the 11pm price hike' date=' it only mentioned smoking.

However, the 11pm price hike shouldn't affect jobs, the amount of jobs in a pub depends on how many people are needed at the busiest times, so if it's busier before 11 they should need more staff, or at least the same as before, not 14% less.

If pubs in Ireland close at midnight normally, I can't see that having an effect on staff levels at all, only on their paypackets.[/quote']

The 11pm price hike also affects night clubs. Also business before 11pm has actually increased since the smoking ban was put into effect.

As far as I'm aware' date=' it's not the nicotine in cigarette smoke that causes cancer and lung diseases, any kind of smoke is just as bad.[/quote']

Okay I agree its the other 250 Carcinogens contained in tobacco that directly causes the cancer.

But at the same time nicotine is more addictive than heroin

Did you know that nicotine is a very toxic poison and is comercially sold and used as a form of pesticide? Do you really want to smoke an active ingredient of pesticide.

For every cigarette smoked you will normally absorb 1mg of nicotine, which is about 5-6% of the amount of nicotine contained in 1 cigarette.

60mg of Nicotine will kill the average adult (about the amount in three or four cigarettes if all of the nicotine were absorbed). I know nicotine only has a half life of 60 minutes which leaves 0.031 mg of a 1mg dose in your body after 6 hours. Since from smoking 1 cigarette only 5% is absorbed you would have to smoke a lot of cigarettes to reach that level of poisoning but, only 1mg of nicotine is required to make a young child seriously ill.

To quote from a Health information website http://health.howstuffworks.com/nicotine7.htm

Nicotine poisoning causes vomiting and nausea, headaches, difficulty breathing, stomach pains and seizures. Each of these symptoms can be traced back to excessive stimulation of cholinergic neurons. People poisoned by organophosphate insecticides experience the exact same symptoms. With organophosphates, acetylcholine builds up at synapses and overstimulates the neurons. Because nicotine is so similar to acetylcholine, and binds to cholinergic receptors, nicotine in excess produces the same overstimulation and toxicity. The more nicotine binding to the nicotinic cholinergic receptors, the more acetylcholine is subsequently released and free to activate other subsets of cholinergic receptors.

Smokers themselves are unfortunately drug addicts and I know that once they are hooked its hard to stop. Putting the ban in place will help people trying to stop by removing the temptation to smoke when they are out in public.

Yes smokers need our help to stop and the NHS is doing what it can to help people by way of patches and other drugs like xyban which coincide with therapy sessions similar to Alcoholics anonymous. A ban will only help to assist this process.

The NHS should not give any extra help to smokers and government spending on anti-smoke advertising should be cut drastically. Wasting money on warning signs will not make anyone stop. If smokers decide to make themselves ill, then they should not expect treatment at the expense of others. Its the same with that nonsense about giving heroin addicts heroin in progressively less dosages in order to wean them off it. Shite! :moody:

The scottish executive announced the 1.3% drop in turnover in parliment during the debate on the ban on smoking

Also people are not going to stop drinking just because they can smoke in public' date=' in scotland only 27% of us actually smoke. What about the rest of the population that dont currently go to pubs just because of smoking.

With regards to banning bonfire night how on earth do you get nicotine from burning wood

It's the nicotine thats contained in cigarette smoke that causes cancer.

Nicotine is an additctive drug that some people have become addicted to. The ban will help people to give up this addiction because there wont be the temptation to smoke when in public[/quote']

1.3% is much less than any figure I've seen. I'm sure if it was that small all the vintners associations in Ireland would stop being so vocal.I think Jack may have pulled a fast one with the stats there.

30% smoke in Scotland, 27% is the UK figure.

Whoops!!

You know nothing about addiction.

Perfectly said Snakebite...it really amazes me when people say they enjoy smoking...i have never put a cigarette in my mouth in my entire life beacuse breathing smoke is possibly the most repulsive thing ever. Smokers are aware of the damage they are doing to their bodies yet they dont listen? I find it actually amusing that all you smokers have a greater chance than me of dying a horrible' date=' slow painful death. Isnt that just so great? Just think of the enjoyable coughing fits, the yellow teeth, the stinking breath....bliss!

Ill die like that but at least I know a) ill have had a few years on this earth extra and b) I havent contributed to shitest nation in terms of health in the universe.[/quote']

Just like Marmite... some people like it, some people hate it.

Tell me... do you eat fatty foods? Do you take daily exercise? Do you follow a strict conduct of health... de-toxing as you go along?

So many things are damaging, but we do it all the same, because it tastes good, because we're lazy... because some people like to smoke? It's an individual's choice.

PS: Food and coffee stain your teeth. You can get them bleached if that's what you're worried about.

Just like Marmite... some people like it' date=' some people hate it.

Tell me... do you eat fatty foods? Do you take daily exercise? Do you follow a strict conduct of health... de-toxing as you go along?

So many things are damaging, but we do it all the same, because it tastes good, because we're lazy... because some people like to smoke? It's an individual's choice.

PS: Food and coffee stain your teeth. You can get them bleached if that's what you're worried about.[/quote']

Missing the point prize on its way.....

Me being a fat lazy slob doesnt harm anyone else....it pisses my wife off....but it wont kill her.

G...

yeah i thought that too' date=' but i think lester burnham was specifically answering demon cleaner's point, about doing bad things to one's body.[/quote']

Indeed. Well spotted, spellchecker.

I am fully aware that smoking damages others.

Just like Marmite... some people like it' date=' some people hate it.

PS: Food and coffee stain your teeth. You can get them bleached if that's what you're worried about.[/quote']

Sure we eat bad things and dont exercise, but no way is any of that nearly as bad as smoking. Im not a smoker obviously, but I am still simply mystified why people enjoy breathing nicotine/hydrogen cyanides or whatever is in the smoke. Its addictive, but im sure most people are repulsed after their first cigarette, yet keep on doing it? I just dont understand the mentality behind it... :help:

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Sure we eat bad things and dont exercise' date=' but no way is any of that nearly as bad as smoking. Im not a smoker obviously, but I am still simply mystified why people enjoy breathing nicotine/hydrogen cyanides or whatever is in the smoke. Its addictive, but im sure most people are repulsed after their first cigarette, yet keep on doing it? I just dont understand the mentality behind it... :help:[/quote']

I'll see if I can help you out, then. I smoke because I enjoy it. I realise this may mortify the more intolerant non-smokers, but that's just how it is. Simple as that.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Me being a fat lazy slob doesnt harm anyone else....it pisses my wife off....but it wont kill her.

It will if you sit on her. Actually, the way things are going, the rising cost of treating avoidable obesity-related diseases is going to cripple the NHS before long. How will they pay for that? Higher taxes. So, before you go all holier-than-thou on smokers for the umpteenth boring time, pause for thought. Also, how does MY smoking harm YOU? I've never met you in my life.

It will if you sit on her.

what my wife and I do in the privacy of our own home has nothing to do with you

Actually' date=' the way things are going, the rising cost of treating avoidable obesity-related diseases is going to cripple the NHS before long.[/quote']

And how many tax 's do we spend on smoking related diseases every year do you think? and dont come away with the old urbane myth that fag tax pays for it and more.

So, before you go all holier-than-thou on smokers for the umpteenth boring time, pause for thought.

Listen its you who's being shat on by this change in the law, dont take it out on me just because I happen to think its quite a good idea. My wife smoked when we married, my mother smoked until the day she died (smoking related) I dont care if you or anyone else smokes.

Also, how does MY smoking harm YOU? I've never met you in my life.

No but we have shared a room on more than one occasion, do you think you're second hand smoke needs to be introduced to me to cause harm? get a grip on reality man, in 2000 5million people died worldwide of smoking related diseases what a fucking shamefull waste of life.

1.3% is much less than any figure I've seen. I'm sure if it was that small all the vintners associations in Ireland would stop being so vocal.I think Jack may have pulled a fast one with the stats there.

30% smoke in Scotland' date=' 27% is the UK figure.

Whoops!!

You know nothing about addiction.[/quote']

Have you ever seen someone die slowly & painfully of a smoking related illness?

I have and it's not pretty.

One of my uncle's smoked heavily all his life, when he was 54 he got admitted to hospital when his arteries to the lower half of his body packed in. This was directly due to smoking, which in turn had slowly filled his arteries with plaques (fats, cholesterol and other material) which causes narrowing of the arteries. Luckily at the time they managed to make up some new arteries in time which meant he only lost one toe (was amputated) to gangrene. The doctors strongly advised him to quit smoking, which he managed for about 3 months before starting again. Truth was he couldnt stop because he was addicted.

The following year he was admitted to hospital again but it was for what should have been a routine operation to remove a gaull stone. The operation seemed to go fine and he was recovering in the hospital ward until his new arteries that he was given the previous year decided to collapse. This time though he wasnt as fortunate. By the time the doctors realised what happened the blood supply had been cut off from his bowel for too long, which in turn caused it to go gangrene.

When I found out about it he had been told there was nothing they could do for him and he had only a few days to live. The next few days felt like weeks, knowing that some one close to you is going to die in what was a very painful way and that each day that past could be his last is not a nice feeling. Near the end he was pumped full of morphine to ease the pain as much as possible. He died 3 days later, exactly one day after my 18th birthday. That day drastically changed my outlook on life and made me realise the serious effect smoking has on peoples lives.

So dont tell me that I dont know what addiction is.

Guest Charity Case
Missing the point prize on its way.....

G...

Not unless you fall on her

:rolleyes:

sorry

Guest Charity Case
Hook my neighbour's exhaust up to a showerhead and you have your very own concentration camp!

And that's just stupid.

Maybe we should put you in an airtight container and pump the cigarette "dust" from a bar into it. Obviously we would have to remove the air from the smoke otherwise it wouldn't be an airtight box would it? Any last requests before the execution mate? "Aye a fag"

It will if you sit on her. Actually' date=' the way things are going, the rising cost of treating avoidable obesity-related diseases is going to cripple the NHS before long. How will they pay for that? Higher taxes. So, before you go all holier-than-thou on smokers for the umpteenth boring time, pause for thought. Also, how does MY smoking harm YOU? I've never met you in my life.[/quote']

Firstly, as you quite well know, your a good pal.

But..... I totally disagree with you/

1) Graeme C could also smother her with his belly

2) Smoking related diseases are also going to cripple the NHS.

3) It can get quite boring, cant it *sits back with a glass (bottle) of French red wine*

4) How does your smoking harm other people? em..... Jake, passive smoking?