aberdeen-music

Smoking Ban to become law...

PaulDW

Get a job in a supermarket' date=' one of the many non-smoking restaurants or cafe's, infact there are hundreds of places you could work without having to catch a whiff of cigarette smoke. This is what Labour have fucking done, pandered to a nation thriving off compensation culture so people can get jobs in BARS then complain that they have to breathe in peoples smoke. If you were epileptic would you get a job in a night club then ask them to turn the strobe lights off incase you had a fit? Or if you went to some metal club and they were playing light dinner jazz because one of their bar staff suffered from migraine's, imagine your annoyance.

The mind boggles what people who have a particular aversion to smoke were thinking when they applied for a job in a BAR or PUB. It's not like there's a shortage of jobs in the servile job industry for experienced waiting/counter staff or such like, infact there's even a few non-smoking bars in Aberdeen from what I've read.

It should be up to the licensee at the end of the day, pubs are "public houses" they are owned by the publican and it's his right to choose whether people smoke in it or not, that way people who open non-smoking pubs can reap the benefits of the anti-smokers custom, whilst others can continue to enjoy smoking in specific places, at the choice of the owner.

As much as I hate to admit it, you wouldn't have seen this kind of Orwellian choice control under a Conservative Government.[/quote']

Nail - hit - on - head. :up:

Had this discussion with my mum, and ardent non-smoker, and we both said it is pathetic that this ban is happening. Soon laughter and drinking will be banned in pubs as well.

To quote Eddie Izzard from Dress To Kill - "Certainly you haven't been smoking in a bar in California, that's for certain!" Cause you can't! No, no smoking in bars now, and soon, no drinking and no talking!"

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally don't have a problem with being around people smoking' date=' but I still support this ban. While I appreciate people's point of view that they have a right to smoke, that is still [b']their choice. They may have a right to smoke, but non smokers still have a right to be able to have a drink at the pub and not have to breathe in other peoples cigarette smoke.

Agree with this 100% I will be glad when the ban goes through. I still can't understand why people choose to smoke/defend smoking when it's something that is 100% harmful to your health and the health of people around you...

Guest tv tanned
As much as I hate to admit it' date=' you wouldn't have seen this kind of Orwellian choice control under a Conservative Government.[/quote']

Tell that one to the homosexual and immigrant communities...

People can't smoke in busses.

People can't smoke in the cinema.

People can't smoke in hospitals.

People can't smoke in museums / art galleries.

People can't smoke in shopping complexes.

Why should a pub be any exception?

As for 'most people don't want the ban': that's pish

"Almost three-quarters of people (73%) who responded to a BBC survey want a ban on smoking in all public places as a way to cut tobacco-related illness. " - from news.bbc.co.uk

Anyone that thinks smoking's cool should read this

long.smteeth.jpglong.throat.jpg

These packets might be used all through the EU pretty soon

_40510625_bigcigpacket203.jpg

It's not been scientifically proven, but it is scientific fact.

I had a visit from nice lady from some group set up to support the licensed trade.

She explained how the smoking ban would probably put us out of business and it was there duty to help us out. She gave me some petitions to get signed and suggested I only give them to people who would be interested in having the ban stopped... the clear implication being people smoking a fag.

I contested that I didn't think it would really affect business, and that even though I smoke myself the only reason we allowed it was because I thought we would see an overall net loss of sales as people went ot other smoking bars, which they couldn't do if it was banned everywhere. She looked at me like I was mad and said 'but have you seen the studies from Ireland and NY'?

then I asked who paid her wages, she was really reticent to tell me, but did finally concede that it was BAT, or British American Tobacco.

Which I found interesting, because there was no way she wanted to tell me that.

Hah. The Scottish Parly proves once again that Devolution is a waste of money. Way to earn your salary, Mr. McConnel.

This whole shambles has reduced "Democracy" to a mere competition. You'd think no-one in this country had heard of the word "compromise" either. Nope, rather than even expend one micron of energy on a rational and sensible compromise it becomes a matter of "winning". It's just a shame these compromises require at least a gramme of grey matter to conclude to, eh?

anti-smokers.JPG

Nothing funnier than a fat man whinging like a dog missing his master's leg about his health being effected by passive smoking, aswell.

Posting pictures of diseased body parts - yawn. Like I didn't see that one approaching from the edge of the fucking cosmos.

Reich Health Fhrer!

god help our country if they're not only immigrants but homosexual or a lesbian with a 40-a-day cigarette habits as well

i see Hobbes is still on his moral crusade to try and ban everything in sight that doesn't fit into his own personal moral code of conduct :rolleyes:

this week its smoking i see and in his bespectacled crosshairs are smokers, i think its amusing how some people here are treating smokers with the same disdain as people in the Dark Ages treated lepers on the street ;)

i mean, what you gonna blame next for you having a little cough?, the chimneys on people's roofs? ;)

if we're going to ban smoking then i suggest alcohol should be banned as well for the sheer fact that it causes illnesses, internal damage and blood poisoning as well as fights which can result in severe injury and death, which is kind of what smoking does too ;)

just a thought, you can proceed with your knee jerk of a moral crusade now ;)

best wishes with your anti-smoking jihad against those stinky people who like to spark up, i hope it helps you sleep better at night :up:

el flosso :up:

god help our country if they're not only immigrants but homosexual or a lesbian with a 40-a-day cigarette habits as well

i see Hobbes is still on his moral crusade to try and ban everything in sight that doesn't fit into his own personal moral code of conduct :rolleyes:

this week its smoking i see and in his bespectacled crosshairs are smokers' date=' i think its amusing how some people here are treating smokers with the same disdain as people in the Dark Ages treated lepers on the street ;)

i mean, what you gonna blame next for you having a little cough?, the chimneys on people's roofs? ;)

if we're going to ban smoking then i suggest alcohol should be banned as well for the sheer fact that it causes illnesses, internal damage and blood poisoning as well as fights which can result in severe injury and death, which is kind of what smoking does too ;)

just a thought, you can proceed with your knee jerk of a moral crusade now ;)

best wishes with your anti-smoking jihad against those stinky people who like to spark up, i hope it helps you sleep better at night :up:

el flosso :up:[/quote']

Ok heres what I think (I wont mention John Carrey/kerry lol)

Knee Jerk reaction?

Heres the deal. I love red wine and drink it regularly but sensibly. This is proven to reduce my chances of heart disease i.e look at the French who drink during meals etc.

Ok there is beer etc but.... If I drink within the recommended weeky amount my health will be fine. Where is the recommended weekly amount for smoking?

I go to a bar for a drink not increase the chances of me having lung cancer.

However, I do sympathise, I feel the ban is severe. Why not have smoking rooms or well ventilated/ air conditioned areas?

I suppose I sound like Im contradicting myself!

Although a non smoker, I don't have a problem with going into a pub where there are smokers, After all it's my choice and it's not as if I actually live there.

But I think we need to compromise here. As a non smoker I don't have a problem with breathing in the products of someone else's habit. I think it only fair then that smokers should equally cheerfully put up with the products of my habit, which is beer drinking. The product of this is copious amounts of urine. I should therefore be allowed to piss on smokers whenever I'm in the pub. I think it's a good deal. Second hand smoke is blamed for causing disease but piss is completely harmless.

Ok heres what I think (I wont mention John Carrey/kerry lol)

Knee Jerk reaction?

Heres the deal. I love red wine and drink it regularly but sensibly. This is proven to reduce my chances of heart disease i.e look at the French who drink during meals etc.

Ok there is beer etc but.... If I drink within the recommended weeky amount my health will be fine. Where is the recommended weekly amount for smoking?

I go to a bar for a drink not increase the chances of me having lung cancer.

However' date=' I do sympathise, I feel the ban is severe. Why not have smoking rooms or well ventilated/ air conditioned areas?

I suppose I sound like Im contradicting myself![/quote']

i think they should put a huge aircraft propeller-sized fan in the pubs and clubs to keep you moaning bastards who drink only a "recommended weekly amount"(does that mean you get pissed then?) happy, i mean we don't want to pile lung cancer on top of your chances of getting cirrhosis of the liver now do we? ;)

let me just say this one thing as well Mr. Hog before i exit this entire thread forever, it doesn't really matter how much red wine you drink or if they ban smoking in public places outright -

because you're still going to die regardless of what actions you take to prevent disease and illness

maybe you should try banning death instead ;)

Although a non smoker' date=' I don't have a problem with going into a pub where there are smokers, After all it's my choice and it's not as if I actually live there.

But I think we need to compromise here. As a non smoker I don't have a problem with breathing in the products of someone else's habit. I think it only fair then that smokers should equally cheerfully put up with the products of my habit, which is beer drinking. The product of this is copious amounts of urine. I should therefore be allowed to piss on smokers whenever I'm in the pub. I think it's a good deal. Second hand smoke is blamed for causing disease but piss is completely harmless.[/quote']

whatever gets yer rocks off mate, maybe you should put a lonely hearts ad in for a smoker who likes a golden shower :up:

"Almost three-quarters of people (73%) who responded to a BBC survey want a ban on smoking in all public places as a way to cut tobacco-related illness. " - from news.bbc.co.uk

In the survey conducted by the scottish parliament 75% of people supported a total ban, but 75% of people were AGAINST a ban in pubs and clubs.

If it's the same survey I saw, the question about a total ban was first, with no indication that there would be any other choice. So 75% of people thought a total ban was a good idea if the only other alternative was what we have now.

Later they were asked if pubs and clubs should be exempt. 75% wanted exmption.

It's quite clear what happened, any first year stats undergraduate should have enough knowledge of questionnaire construction to analyse it correctly. Why are the professionals missing it?

Shall smoking be banned on the streets?

If not, you realise that all that will happen is that the doorways to all your beloved clubs and pubs shall be hidden by a thick cloud of smoke by those who are, "nipping out for a fag".

I smoke, but I've never smoked in a restaurant. I hate people smoking in restaurants, the association of ash and smoke with food is disgusting. I'm definately supporting the ban in that sense.

However, pubs and clubs... you know how when you leave a pub/club you always have that stale smokey smell on you? Apparently, according to the survey, some of the Irish and American clubs have complained due to the fact that the smokey aroma has been replaced with the sickening smell of B.O and stale booze - it's been said that it's worse than the smoke. I enjoy smoking when I'm out in pubs/clubs, it certainly woundn't bother me massively if it were banned.... however if the clubs stink of B.O and booze... I think I'll be opting for a night in more often than not.

Ban cars! Why must us pedestrians constantly be forced to breathe drivers' smoke!

Yea, but you can't stick a catalytic converter on a fag... They've been passing laws for decades to reduce the volume of pollution on the streets and it's about time they did the same for clubs. I don't even notice the smell in town or on a busy road. I wouldn't mind going to clubs that had proper ventilation that got rid of most of the fumes but as it stands Im not even going to start on how bad my clothes and hair smell on a Saturday morning....

I had a visit from nice lady from some group set up to support the licensed trade.

She explained how the smoking ban would probably put us out of business and it was there duty to help us out. She gave me some petitions to get signed and suggested I only give them to people who would be interested in having the ban stopped... the clear implication being people smoking a fag.

I contested that I didn't think it would really affect business' date=' and that even though I smoke myself the only reason we allowed it was because I thought we would see an overall net loss of sales as people went ot other smoking bars, which they couldn't do if it was banned everywhere. She looked at me like I was mad and said 'but have you seen the studies from Ireland and NY'?

then I asked who paid her wages, she was really reticent to tell me, but did finally concede that it was BAT, or British American Tobacco.

Which I found interesting, because there was no way she wanted to tell me that.[/quote']

should call up the evening express and give your story? Would be a nice change to see them printing another side to the arguement.

the smokey aroma has been replaced with the sickening smell of B.O and stale booze

Honest to god, what a lot of fucking shite! If you stink of BO and stale booze you should try taking a shower and spilling your drink less.