aberdeen-music

Smoking Ban to become law...

PaulDW

looks like ill be the first to break the news.... (Source - BBC News)

Scotland smoking ban to go ahead

Smoking is to be banned in enclosed public places in Scotland, the Scottish Executive has decided this morning. The decision, which was a unanimous one by Scottish ministers, will be announced in the Scottish Parliament about 1430 GMT today.

Doctors and anti-tobacco groups had urged the executive to "be brave" and opt for a ban to improve public health.

Licensees have vowed to fight the ban, which follows similar moves by Ireland, Norway and parts of the USA.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks like ill be the first to break the news.... (Source - BBC News)

Scotland smoking ban to go ahead

Smoking is to be banned in enclosed public places in Scotland' date=' the Scottish Executive has decided this morning. The decision, which was a unanimous one by Scottish ministers, will be announced in the Scottish Parliament about 1430 GMT today.

Doctors and anti-tobacco groups had urged the executive to "be brave" and opt for a ban to improve public health.

Licensees have vowed to fight the ban, which follows similar moves by Ireland, Norway and parts of the USA.[/quote']

I know not all licencees will fight the ban... Whitbread (whom i work for part time) have banned smoking already in our resteraunt! i mean why should i have to breath in other peoples cancer smoke just so i can make 5 an hour!!

Guest tv tanned
I know not all licencees will fight the ban... Whitbread (whom i work for part time) have banned smoking already in our resteraunt! i mean why should i have to breath in other peoples cancer smoke just so i can make 5 an hour!!

Precisely.

I predict that the so called 'fight' will blow over in very little time.

the sooner this goes through the better imho. Smoking in public places is just disguting. Fair enough, you might argue that banning it in pubs is harsh, but what about the bar staff who HAVE to breathe the smoke also? And anyone else who is in the pub? It's not always nice having drinks with a smoke grenade goign off in your scants.

Howver, i believe smoking in restaurants should be banned without question. There's nothing like going to a nice restaurant with the old ball and chain, sure its a bit crowded and busy - but theres still a nice table for 2.

The group beside, how VERY considerate of them. They are smoking, but heaven forbid they puff the smoke out on each other, no, no, they are too polite for that. I think the best choice is to puff smoke at the non-smoking couple beside us.

It really makes me sick and is the best way to ruin an otherwise delightful meal.

Getting a bit out of hand there but you get the point. Ban = good thing definately!

Guest tv tanned

It's always interesting to see two people smoking at a table while facing each other, and rather than blow their smoke forward at each other, they blow it out to the side and into the air space of people like me, who don't want any smoke at all thank you very much.

People who take their children into the smoking section of a restaurant are basically abusing their children imho.

Guest tv tanned

I was told last night that I was a fascist for supporting a ban because Hitler was an anti-smoker...

If that's the level of debate the pro-smoking lobby wants to endorse then they won't be winning any fights any time soon...

Now excuse me while I annex Poland.

This is where we currently are on the mattter, for those interested:

McConnell promise over smoke ban

Jack McConnell believes the ban is the right course of action

Smoke-free areas will save lives and improve Scotland's health, First Minister Jack McConnell has insisted.

He told the Scottish Parliament on Wednesday that a "comprehensive ban" on smoking in public places would be introduced by the spring of 2006.

Mr McConnell said the country's health rates were "lamentable" not least because of smoking.

He said fines of up to 2,000 would be levied on employers and licences would be removed for non-compliance.

Earlier, the Scottish Executive considered a range of options but agreed unanimously to introduce an all-out ban on smoking in public places.

Marketing campaign

In a statement to parliament, Mr McConnell said that the licensed trade would be asked to join an expert committee prior to the ban coming into force.

The health arguments far outweighed lingering public disquiet about a complete ban and claims by the licensed trade that jobs would be lost, he told MSPs.

He said there would be an international marketing campaign where "tourists can enjoy smoke free environment and the sick man of Europe image becomes a thing of the past".

The single contribution devolved government can make is to reduce the toll of preventable death caused by smoking

Jack McConnell

First Minister

"There are still national habits which hold us back - the time has come for this parliament to accelerate improvements in health," he declared.

"Health rates are lamentable because of a lack of exercise, drugs abuse, excessive drinking and over-eating.

"They all make us one of the most unhealthy countries in Europe, and too many smoke.

"It is clear that Scotland must not be held back by poor public health - the single contribution devolved government can make is reduce the toll of preventable death caused by smoking."

Opposition reaction

The Scottish National Party's Holyrood leader, Nicola Sturgeon, welcomed the announcement but added that the public should be consulted as the clock ticked towards the ban date.

The Scottish Conservative Party leader, David McLetchie, questioned what would be exempted from the ban.

He was keen to know if inmates in Scottish prisons would continue to be allowed to smoke.

A governement source added that legislation is due to be published before the end of the year.

I generally don't have a problem with being around people smoking, but I still support this ban. While I appreciate people's point of view that they have a right to smoke, that is still their choice. They may have a right to smoke, but non smokers still have a right to be able to have a drink at the pub and not have to breathe in other peoples cigarette smoke.

Fair enough' date=' you might argue that banning it in pubs is harsh, but what about the bar staff who HAVE to breathe the smoke also?

[/quote']

Get a job in a supermarket, one of the many non-smoking restaurants or cafe's, infact there are hundreds of places you could work without having to catch a whiff of cigarette smoke. This is what Labour have fucking done, pandered to a nation thriving off compensation culture so people can get jobs in BARS then complain that they have to breathe in peoples smoke. If you were epileptic would you get a job in a night club then ask them to turn the strobe lights off incase you had a fit? Or if you went to some metal club and they were playing light dinner jazz because one of their bar staff suffered from migraine's, imagine your annoyance.

The mind boggles what people who have a particular aversion to smoke were thinking when they applied for a job in a BAR or PUB. It's not like there's a shortage of jobs in the servile job industry for experienced waiting/counter staff or such like, infact there's even a few non-smoking bars in Aberdeen from what I've read.

It should be up to the licensee at the end of the day, pubs are "public houses" they are owned by the publican and it's his right to choose whether people smoke in it or not, that way people who open non-smoking pubs can reap the benefits of the anti-smokers custom, whilst others can continue to enjoy smoking in specific places, at the choice of the owner.

As much as I hate to admit it, you wouldn't have seen this kind of Orwellian choice control under a Conservative Government.