aberdeen-music

80s anarcho-punk - an appreciation

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail

80s anarcho-punk - a community inspired by the words and actions of Crass, and one that produced an incredible and diverse array of bands/performers, inspired countless thousands across the world. Any folks here got any favourites from that period?

Here are mine:

Rubella Ballet

DIRT

Poison Girls

Conflict

Flux Of Pink Indians

The Mob

Thatcher On Acid

Subhumans

Zounds

Lost Cherrees

The Apostles

Hagar The Womb

City Indians

Chumbawamba

Faction

Rudimentary Peni

The Cravats

Honey Bane

Sadly, think a lot of the creativity - the ability to produce something completely unique, got kinda lost in the 1990s, the influence of metal I believe having a ruining effect on the scene. Sure, there are still a lotta cool acts out there, but they just don't do it for me like a lotta the classic anarcho outfits did. The scene just doesn't produce outfits as original and as exciting as folks like Chumbawamba or Poison Girls anymore, a thing that I think is very sad.

Guest allsystemsfail
ive recently read some great interviews with active minds and oi polloi...dunno if you'd count them as part of that' date=' i havent heard much by either but i want to check some more stuff out...i really like subhumans[/quote']

Oi Polloi an anarcho outfit? Certainly, and one of the most exciting. Very much in the classic tradition. A real favourite of mine.

Active Minds? I dunno. I wouldn't class them as such.

Guest allsystemsfail
Crass

Conflict

The Alternative

Rudimentary Peni

Aaaargh, forgot the Alternative folks. Hey Jake, have you heard their full length If They Treat You Like Shit... ?

Guest allsystemsfail

Though Oi Polloi was Fuam Catha era and were more of a Crust Outfit' date=' which i prefer to the earlier stuff.

[/quote']

Yeah, while I thought their early output was pretty cool, like you I really prefer their more metal infused material. I know that after taking a swipe at metal this may seem a bit of a contradiction. It's just that I feel metal's influence was somewhat of a bad thing. Sure, it has produced some great bands - hey, I'd place Nausea up there with folks like Conflict, but altogether I don't think it really helped.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Aaaargh' date=' forgot the Alternative folks. Hey Jake, have you heard their full length If They Treat You Like Shit... ?[/quote']

No, haven't lugged in to that, I've only heard their 4-track 7" on Crass, which was a corker.

Guest allsystemsfail
No' date=' haven't lugged in to that, I've only heard their 4-track 7" on Crass, which was a corker.[/quote']

A corker indeed. Saw the band at a fest in 1986 (in Dunfermline) with Oi Polloi, Sleeping Dogs, and Dead Loss Angels. Was gonna be an open air fest (with Annie Anxiety and members of Crass too) til the cops stepped in and put a stop to it. Eventually took place in a community centre. Great day.

Jake, will take the vid Saturday. Thanks again for that.