aberdeen-music

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

chilli

Can I just say that without Blixa, Weeping Song is a pale imitation of it's former glory and that Nick can't scream like Mr. Bargeld over the end of Stagger Lee.

Aside from that (and the slightly muddy sound mix) it was a fantastic gig on the Saturday night. Loved the huge chunk of new songs - It's really endeared me to the new album(s). Good surprise to hear Deanna and City Of Refuge in the encore. The gospel singers added wonderfully without being overpowering and (as a plus point of Blixa's departure) there does seem to be more variety in the instruments used. Only one thing I thought to suffer was the quiet break-down sections in songs which seemed to all but dissappear (for example, Deanna never relented to the stripped down menacing mid-section I love so much and God Is In The House didn't seem as fragile as normal).

I sound like I'm moaning a lot, but I loved the gig - A totally different experience from the Barrowlands gig a while back which made me doubly happy.

I went not really knowing Nick Cave's stuff (appart fromt he obvious ones), but, I thoroughly enjoyed the gig, He's got an amazing stage presence, and I didn't expect him to be smiling and laughing so much (he he). Glad they played two sets, new and Old, plus a decent "last encore"...a very good gig indeed...

my highlights were.

Red Right Hand (obviously)

There she goes (my beautiful world)

Do you love me

Orpheus and the Lire (appart from the shoddy mix)

I did try to tape it with my mp3 player, but, being 5 yards fromt he front (and the speaker stak), i got something more akin to a Merzbow Jam.

Friday reports please..........

Had a look at the forum on nickcaveandthebadseeds.com and this was the Friday night setlist apparently (and I'm now gutted as he played The Ship Song that night) -

Set I: Abattoir Blues / There She Goes, My Beautiful World / Messiah Ward / Hiding All Away / Easy Money / Supernaturally / Babe, You Turn Me On / Breathless / Nature Boy / The Lyre of Orpheus / Carry Me / Get Ready For Love / O Children

Set II: The Weeping Song / City of Refuge / The Ship Song / Deanna / God Is In The House / Henry Lee / Red Right Hand / Lay Me Low / Stagger Lee

New Morning (Backing Singers Only Band Had Left Stage)

i was at random number in the 13th note

where i happened to bump into those interesting chaps

Stuart very flattering, esp when you walk into spomehere new & somebody recognises you, Graeme was kind of freaked & yes we enjoyed the end of random number, b4

heading off to Kasule HQ for a cuppa b4 heading home.

ps Ballboy rock..............!!!!!!!!!

a wee bit

Guest stuartmaxwell

small world eh

random number was superb, the sound was spot on too. had some great ideas on the happening, all he needed was a great light show

ballboy are.....

I was down on the Saturday, and apart from the stifling heat and cramped seating in the balcony, plus ridiculously under-stocked and over-priced bar, it was pretty swell. The gospel backing was great- things like that can often come accross weak live, but they pulled it off, and the sound overall was fantastic, too.

Also, how many people (apart from me) thought it was terribly amusing to repeatedly shout "Stagger Lee!" in a German accent, in an obscure reference to one of the audio loops in the menu screen one of Nick Cave's live DVDs?

how many people (apart from me) thought it was terribly amusing to repeatedly shout "Stagger Lee!" in a German accent' date=' in an obscure reference to one of the audio loops in the menu screen one of Nick Cave's live DVDs?[/quote']

only you, I guess.

I thought it was funny that you could see all these Cave Clones who now wear suits, but are still itching to wear black jeans and sleveless t shirts and "matrix" stylee long coats..ho ho

Sat night was awsome.. Nick Cave is a GOD !

Best song by a mile was INTO MY ARMS... even with the crowd singing along !

Big thanks to the Interseting Music chaps (and wife !) for driving kasule home to Sunny Coatbridge for tea (and beer!), before they drove back to Aberdeen !!

Also caught the last wee bit of randon number.. Stuart you should have said hello ! what happening with the kasule gig at the Barrowlands ? he he

tee kasule.co.uk