aberdeen-music

Drakes 6/11.

Guest Scorge Spike

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest allsystemsfail

I gotta say that I was disappointed that I couldn't catch this show. Spike sound most entertaining. Looking forward to cathing the guys Saturday. For those who don't know, that's at Drakes with Zillah, Kaddish, Filthpact and Evacuating Heaven.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
I went with an open mind about SPD but if I said I was impressed I be telling fibs. The first couple of "songs" I laughed at. I dunno if that's the reaction you aim for' date=' but I thought it was funny. After that the novelty had pretty much worn off. Jake - as he is on the boards - came across as sitting up on his high horse with an attitude problem, ie. "we didn't bring any CDs because we knew none of you would like us". Then why did you play the gig?... MMW bashing, Dan in particular, wtf, boring. As long as you thought it was funny I guess. [/quote']

Well, obviously your first experience of grind, by the sound of things. Actually, the first time I heard Napalm Death 15 years ago, I burst out laughing too. I just couldn't get my head round it initially but I stuck with it and soon loved it. Spike are NEVER going to get mass appeal but that's fine by me, that's not what I want. Still, you paid your money so you've every right to pass comment, no problem.

As for having an attitude problem, well, what exactly do you base THAT on? A few typed messages on a computer. That's hardly an indication of what a person is like, is it? You say you went with an open mind but you then contradict it because you've already made your mind up that I have an attitude problem. You could easily have come up and spoken to me, I wasn't hard to spot, especially after the place emptied. You didn't. I realise it's easy to take shots from behind a keyboard, but I would have more respect if you told me in person if you have a problem.

I was very surprised by the largely positive crowd reaction and I watched the tape of our set when we got home to double-check. I wasn't sure how we would go down on a bill of "poppier" bands, that's all I meant. I made a point of saying we're playing again this Saturday, on a more appropriate bill, I think. So, if people enjoyed us they could catch us again and if they do, that's great. If not, I'm not going to lose any sleep, not everyone will enjoy what we do.

Overall, our best gig yet and Scorge is a more than worthy addition. Sorry it wasn't your thing Amy, but I do have the feeling your mind was partly made up before you walked in, well, about me anyway. Thanks for the feedback, it's always taken on board.

My first experience of grind. Yes that's night, but I don't know if I can judge the genre on 3/4/5 second long songs...

I'm glad the crowd was positive for you, the last thing we want is an uninterested crowd like those fannies who left before Misled Youth.

The attitude problem is just a general observation - not a big problem - when reading some of your posts. I'm not wasting time looking for specific examples but I just get the feeling you like to think you're above others and try your best to be alternative / funny. I apologise for not telling you to your face, but I was having a good night. I don't like arguments anyway, especially like this on a forum. Like I said, I had an open mind about the band because I didn't like to judge off some typed messages (like so many people do - take MMW as an example). If I'd made up my mind that much I wouldn't have made the effort to watch you guys.

Like you said I paid my money and it's only one person's opinion.

Guest Jake Wifebeater
My first experience of grind. Yes that's night' date=' but I don't know if I can judge the genre on 3/4/5 second long songs...

I'm glad the crowd was positive for you, the last thing we want is an uninterested crowd like those fannies who left before Misled Youth.

The attitude problem is just a general observation - not a big problem - when reading some of your posts. I'm not wasting time looking for specific examples but I just get the feeling you like to think you're above others and try your best to be alternative / funny. I apologise for not telling you to your face, but I was having a good night. I don't like arguments anyway, especially like this on a forum. Like I said, I had an open mind about the band because I didn't like to judge off some typed messages (like so many people do - take MMW as an example). If I'd made up my mind [i']that much I wouldn't have made the effort to watch you guys.

Like you said I paid my money and it's only one person's opinion.

Well, there were only a couple of 2-5 second songs, I'm sure one was at least a minute! That's actually fairly typical of the genre, I'd happily make up a tape for you if you're interested in checking it out a bit more.

I fully agree with you on the fact that it's a terrible state of affairs when the crowd fuck off before the non-local band come on. I just don't get that, if you pay to get in it seems daft to bugger off without getting your money's worth.

Well, as for thinking I'm above others, that's way off the mark. I do have a very sardonic sense of humour/cynical approach to life and I DO like to pick up on obscure/trivial stuff that generally goes unnoticed in everyday life. Ask my partner if you like, she's had the dubious privilege of sharing my home for a few months now. It can be difficult to articulate yourself properly on a computer screen. Simple solution: come say hello next time!

Anyway, glad you (mostly) enjoyed yourself. I actually remember thinking, through the boozy haze, "If Amy's here she'll be raging that everyone's buggered off before MY". Thanks again for your thoughts.

Guest stuartmaxwell

why would someone go out of their way to tell you they thought you were an asshole???

thats just ridiculous

"hi, my name is stuart, i think you are an asshole"-err...who would be the asshole then?

jake is a knob on here, he reckons his tirade against emo music makes him respected-give me a break. at the end of the day he is the singer/shouter in a novelty band, and the only way he can keep people entertained is to take pot-shots at people/emo etc if he pout as much effort into writing songs as he does slagging emo then im sure SPD would be a great band, its just tiresome after a while

amy is a wee darlin at the end of the day and she was talking the truth, bit of honesty never hurt anyone, im also sure she doesnt care if you respect her or not,

love always

x

Guest Jake Wifebeater
jake is a knob on here' date=' he reckons his tirade against emo music makes him respected-give me a break. at the end of the day he is the singer/shouter in a novelty band, and the only way he can keep people entertained is to take pot-shots at people/emo etc if he pout as much effort into writing songs as he does slagging emo then im sure SPD would be a great band, its just tiresome after a while

amy is a wee darlin at the end of the day and she was talking the truth, bit of honesty never hurt anyone, im also sure she doesnt care if you respect her or not,

[/quote']

Absolutely priceless. Slagging emo to get respect? Balls. I speak my mind and try to be honest. If I dislike something I'll say so. I don't give a fuck about being respected, by you or anybody else. I have fun, and that's what counts. If you like it, great, if you don't it doesn't put me up nor down. As a matter of interest, were you at the gig? Or any other Spike gig? You're right, honesty never hurt anyone and I appreciate her taking the time to put forward her point of view.

A "wee darlin", eh? Well, that'll make you impartial.

Guest stuartmaxwell

no sorry, i was at random number in the 13th note in glasgow, experimental electronica-it was great!

i reckon you are an asshole (completely judging you from on here) , i like amy, its not a question of whether im impartial or not

i aint really the biggest emo fan but you are just tiresome, resorting to using it as a subject for stage banter is a joke in itself

Guest Jake Wifebeater
no sorry' date=' i was at random number in the 13th note in glasgow, experimental electronica-it was great!

i reckon you are an asshole (completely judging you from on here) , i like amy, its not a question of whether im impartial or not

i aint really the biggest emo fan but you are just tiresome, resorting to using it as a subject for stage banter is a joke in itself[/quote']

Well, as if you can judge someone from what they type on a computer screen. Never mind, it's not important and neither are you. No offense meant, but a message board is hardly the real world. I'm not going to get drawn into a slagging match, but personalising an argument like you chose to do was just a waste of time. Like you said, you weren't there so you've no basis for argument. I thought Amy put forward her points very well, shame you couldn't take a leaf out of her book. So you reckon I'm an asshole, oh well, the world keeps turning regardless.

Guest stuartmaxwell

i dunno, if someone is an asshole online then it means they are capable of being an asshole, am i right or am i wrong?

i too am an honest person, maybe its a clash of personalities?who knows, and your right, who cares??

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i dunno' date=' if someone is an asshole online then it means they are capable of being an asshole, am i right or am i wrong?

i too am an honest person, maybe its a clash of personalities?who knows, and your right, who cares??[/quote']

Well, I guess everyone, even the nicest, kindest person on the planet has the potential to be an asshole under certain circumstances. So yes, you're right on that one.

Honesty is a quality I always admire so irrespective of how you feel about me, rightly or wrongly, you do have my respect. Could well be a clash, maybe clash is a bit strong.

One last thing, the emo-bashing is, and always has been, strictly tongue-in-cheek. Most of the folks knew that and it got the biggest laugh of the night. Not everyone gets it, true, but that's life, I suppose. Fuck, it's all rock and roll.

Guest Scorge Spike
i aint really the biggest emo fan but you are just tiresome' date=' resorting to using it as a subject for stage banter is a joke in itself[/quote']

But there were many other topics used for banter on Saturday, and yet this is the only one that people pick up on. Also being honest, the banter employed by the other bands (especially Gilman Street) was so tiresome, cliched and irritating I think you'd have thought our between-blast conversations were a gift had you attended. </opinion> It's a predictable trait of this website, take a poke at a genre and someone always cries foul........

Griping aside, I did enjoy myself and endeavour to play faster this coming Saturday :D.....

i dont know how anyone could call Jake an arsehole. (not asshole, we're not americans)...if you speak to him in person, you'll realize he's a very lovely chap. i know spike piledriver wouldnt have been to everyones tastes but i think its cool they wasnt afraid of playing to a different style audience and trying to turn people onto something different...i know a couple of people are coming on sat after seeing spike last sat!

Its only since Spike played this gig that people have reacted strongly. This is probably because we are very different to the other bands who played that night.

I dont agree with Stuart that we are a novelty band. Were actually not a comedy band although we and other people (not all) enjoy our banter between songs. Please expand on "Novelty". Our music is not much different to other bands from the same genre.

As I have already said, I dont have a problem with MMW. Seems like I have to repeat myself.

okay, i am ver y drunk first of all./

but coming fdorm seomone who knows the genre, spike aint a novelty band. vomitus, aremore a novelty band(but we're fucking good at it). if spike were a novelty abnd all their songs would be half a second long and consists of the lyrics "urgh". but Jake has seomn very serious political lyrics. its fr from novelty, they fit in perfectly weiht the gentre they play in. and he in between banter actually gets the crowd more into the thre lyrics and the pints they are outtin acrtoss. if jake was to stand thgere and say "thiw next song is abou how much i dont like emo" i am guessing the crowd who were at the gig ould not have reacted half as strongly as him saying "this song is about how emo sucks, and i saw an emo kid leaving earlier, i'll just follow the trail fo tears and kick fuck out of him latr"

so whatever, im drunk,a nd felty like typing something!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
i dont know how anyone could call Jake an arsehole. (not asshole' date=' we're not americans)...if you speak to him in person, you'll realize he's a very lovely chap. i know spike piledriver wouldnt have been to everyones tastes but i think its cool they wasnt afraid of playing to a different style audience and trying to turn people onto something different...i know a couple of people are coming on sat after seeing spike last sat![/quote']

Cheers Kirk, the cheque's in the post! Really, folk coming on Saturday on the strength of that? That's great, I wouldn't have expected that looking at the bill we were on so it goes to show the benefits of a relatively mixed bill. Sure, won't be everyone's cuppa but it isn't about trying to please everyone. If you try that, you're fucked.

Guest My Mind's Weapon

As I have already said' date=' I dont have a problem with MMW. Seems like I have to repeat myself.[/quote']

He doesn't. He's just an attention seeking hypocrite. He's PM'd several of us to tell us how he appreciates what we do, compliment us on our music or tell us to ignore all the naysayers on Ab-Music

We've just laughed it off as a joke, and taken it as a compliment that he chose us. I mean, what would be the point in getting involved in a self-importance driven local band feud, especially for a band with aims that reach far outwith the boundaries of the Granite city. Just seems like an attempt at controversially directing attention on a band that cant gain the credit through their actual music, a cry for help perhaps?

I take Jake with a pinch of salt. It's hard to take someone serious who is anti-emo, and therefore, on the contrary, anti-MMw. Try coming to see us Mr Nae-Clue. You really don't have a scooby. Ape-Core indeed.

As for having digs at Dan. Geez. How pedantic.

Done.

JW.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

We've just laughed it off as a joke' date=' and taken it as a compliment that he chose us.

I take Jake with a pinch of salt. It's hard to take someone serious who is anti-emo, and therefore, on the contrary, anti-MMw. Try coming to see us Mr Nae-Clue. You really don't have a scooby. Ape-Core indeed.[/quote']

That's how we hoped you'd take it, a bit of harmless fun and some free publicity for your band.

As for being anti-MMW, well, considering I've never heard a single note you've played, how the fuck could I be against you lot? I may very well come to see you at some point but when people personalise an argument and throw a bit of a hissy fit it tends to put me off. You guys have taken a shitload of stick off the boards, which seemed way over the top. It seems to be trendy to bash Weapon, but replies like the above will only keep it going. As for not having a scooby, well that just made me laugh. You know me so well, after all.

That said however, I totally agree with your view that you should set your sights way beyond Aberdeen so good luck with that.

Guest My Mind's Weapon

As for being anti-MMW' date=' [b']well, considering I've never heard a single note you've played, how the fuck could I be against you lot? .

As for not having a scooby, well that just made me laugh. You know me so well, after all

Um, you've totally contradicted yourself.