aberdeen-music

Best Drummer in Aberdeen?

Metal_head_Redneck

By "old band" do you mean the age of the members or the lengh of time the bands been on the go..... Oh and its Pallas by the way...!!!

Sorry I don't know much about the band, I just thought they had were or had been around a long time. My point was more that I really like Colin Fraser as a drummer.

Sorry I don't know much about the band, I just thought they had were or had been around a long time. My point was more that I really like Colin Fraser as a drummer.

Just yankin yer chain mate...

Yes they have been around a long time, I've worked for them since 1983 as Stage manager/tour manager/guitar tech/bass tech/ and several other rolls including driver and towel roadie... in short, general dogs body!! they are still alive and well, producing a new album as we speak and doing some gigs before the end of the year.... Yes Colin is a superb drummist... and the crazy bastard has an account on here would you believe...!

Check out the website - Home Page

G...

Just yankin yer chain mate...

Yes they have been around a long time, I've worked for them since 1983 as Stage manager/tour manager/guitar tech/bass tech/ and several other rolls including driver and towel roadie... in short, general dogs body!! they are still alive and well, producing a new album as we speak and doing some gigs before the end of the year.... Yes Colin is a superb drummist... and the crazy bastard has an account on here would you believe...!

Check out the website - Home Page

G...

Were they not called Rainboz before changing to Pallas?

I assume you meant rainbow... and yes they were indeed called rainbow in the 70's when they played the country gig circuit, and yes I roadied for them then also...!!!!

Aye Rainbow, sorry. I remember them playing the Big G in Peterhead. Don't remember them being country though. I seem to remember the Big G's boss telling the drummer to get his shirt back on. Ironic really considering quite a few of the women in the Granada around that time were about to get all their kit on some pipelay barge or another. Class!

At least some of the most creative.

Don't know if I can entirely agree with this statement. I think the big problem with being self taught as a drummer is that you don't learn how to practice, if you can't practice properly you cant learn or improve past a certain level, stunning creativity.

I disagree, It depends on the person.

I was originally a self taught guitarist until I went and studied and did the grades.

I had a very strict practice regime, Involving usually 4 to 6 hours a night.

I split it into different things for every hour like timing, reading, technique, arpeggios, modes and so on and i changed the topics for study every day. I made myself a timetable every month!

That was before I studied grades. Not every self taught person will stick to a practice regime, just depends on that person and how much they want to learn and improve

Don't know if I can entirely agree with this statement. I think the big problem with being self taught as a drummer is that you don't learn how to practice, if you can't practice properly you cant learn or improve past a certain level, stunning creativity.

Kinda agree. Learning good technique surely doesn't always need a tutor though? That said, my technical ability as a drummer is limited due to this very reason, and lack of practicing, but in many has me thinking outside of the box for a fill or groove. Never been a problem with the nature of music I play and bands I've been in but I'd get found pretty quick at a higher level.

This is a crap argument.

IMO the idea that "self taught" musicians of any persuasion have some sort of advantage over their robotic "taught" counterparts is a complete fallacy.

A good tutor can add considerably to your technique on any instrument, show you where you're going wrong, expose you to styles that you otherwise might avoid....how can that possibly be a bad thing?!

Sure, many musos become great without tuition, but in no way does good quality tuition harm a musician's development.

I'm self taught but iv'e also been lucky to have one to one"lessons" with some great musicians over the years.They showed me things that involved musicianship and attitude,which has nothing to do with technique,but is just as important.

Kinda agree. Learning good technique surely doesn't always need a tutor though? That said, my technical ability as a drummer is limited due to this very reason, and lack of practicing, but in many has me thinking outside of the box for a fill or groove. Never been a problem with the nature of music I play and bands I've been in but I'd get found pretty quick at a higher level.

I think having a good tutor is vital in learning good technique and playing matureness. After all if you have one bad habit that isn't spotted and you carry it on it can effect your whole playing. I think it also depends what you want from the drum kit, if you happy to play 3/4 or 4/4 grooves and standard fills at reasonable BPM's, you probably don't need a tutor to get away with doing that. But if you want to push the instruments a little further, having a good tutor, a good practicing technique and committment is all important.

It's also important to not constantly repeat what is practiced, if you keep working on material you already know cause it sounds good, that is not practicing. It's all about pushing limits and testing your ability.

Tomas

I haven't had any pro lessons at all and only learnt from practise practise practise while developing on the styles i have learnt from watching some of my idols in videos and what not.

Ableit my playing is not entirely original and not yet at a level where i would feel i'd be comfortable looking for sponsership. I do know that i have progressed greatly in the past year or so and there are some new techniques slowly coming into my style of playing.

I am much more of a live drummer plus i make some of the greatest , most retarded faces whilst playing at a fast tempo.

If you wish to hear my playing go out and buy

Ablach - Aon

Ablach on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

4/5 K's in Kerrang magazine can't be bad !!!

Bonesaw / Abscess split cd / vinyl

Bonesaw on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

7/10 in Terrorizer magazine

Check us out live.

You wont regret it.... you will however stop playing your instrument and take up knitting. ( Tongue in cheek --- for the serious internet users).

I haven't had any pro lessons at all and only learnt from practise practise practise while developing on the styles i have learnt from watching some of my idols in videos and what not.

Ableit my playing is not entirely original and not yet at a level where i would feel i'd be comfortable looking for sponsership. I do know that i have progressed greatly in the past year or so and there are some new techniques slowly coming into my style of playing.

I am much more of a live drummer plus i make some of the greatest , most retarded faces whilst playing at a fast tempo.

If you wish to hear my playing go out and buy

Ablach - Aon

Ablach on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

4/5 K's in Kerrang magazine can't be bad !!!

Bonesaw / Abscess split cd / vinyl

Bonesaw on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

7/10 in Terrorizer magazine

Check us out live.

You wont regret it.... you will however stop playing your instrument and take up knitting .

Dude, I've not long got my degree through Drumtech, I've been made an arse of by players like Thomas Lang and Stanton Moore, I can assure you nothing you'll ever show me will make me take up knitting lol

Tomas

You probably speak better English than i do. :up:

Got anything on the internet to show off da skillz ?

At present no, not that I know of anyway.

However next time I'm in Aberdeen I'd be more than happy to meet up and have a jam, I spend most days bored as fuck up there. I'm sure there will be a wad of double BD patterns you can blow me away with. :up:

Also, go get Stanton Moore's New Orleans Grooves book, it's awsome for praticing with. Sure thats what it's called.

Tomas

At present no, not that I know of anyway.

However next time I'm in Aberdeen I'd be more than happy to meet up and have a jam, I spend most days bored as fuck up there. I'm sure there will be a wad of double BD patterns you can blow me away with. :up:

Also, go get Stanton Moore's New Orleans Grooves book, it's awsome for praticing with. Sure thats what it's called.

Tomas

Hahah!

If you like the likes of Spazz/Dropdead/Dream Theater/Autopsy/Napalm Death/Regurgitate/Satyricon/Mayhem/Venom then i'm sure we'll have a blast!.:up:

Hahah!

If you like the likes of Spazz/Dropdead/Dream Theater/Autopsy/Napalm Death/Regurgitate/Satyricon/Mayhem/Venom then i'm sure we'll have a blast!.:up:

Em no not really.lol. I'm much more of a jazzer, or jizzer, whatever way you wanna look at it. lol.

Although, if you can play some of the technical parts Mr Portnoy plays, be well worth a listen. :up: