aberdeen-music

Guitar set ups.....

Monk Rocker

Who would be recommended for getting a bass set up professionally?

Thanks....

It's easy enough with a little knowledge and the right tools.

Get the right tools and I'll tell you how.

p.s. the right tools are:good tuner plus all allen keys/screwdrivers to give access to truss rod and saddle bridges.

Cheers' date=' but I'd rather get it done professionally. I'd attempt it on a cheap guitar, but not on any of my basses......[/quote']

Fair enough. I practiced on a cheapo one. In fact I'm not going to tell anyone about the truss rod in public cos that could fuck their instruments up.

Unless you're basses are rafts you shouldn't need the truss rod adjusted anyway.

Just for info for anyone else:

Truss rod: hold the string on the 1st and 12th fret, the neck should be slightly concave. If it is, keep your cash in your wallet, if it isn't, you're probably better off getting it sorted by a pro.

Intonation: Play the string open and tune it. Play the 12th fret harmonic. If it's sharp, the string needs to be longer and vice versa.

It's a good idea to slacken the string before adjusting it's length or you may round the head of the adjuster.