aberdeen-music

The New FOPP Store

Mouse

I went in last saturday looking for the 'Legend-The Best of Bob Marley and the Wailers' CD and it was bloody 15.

I then walked to One up and found it there for 10. It feels like FOPP is becoming too much like HMV and Virgin.

A lot of the CD's in the Jazz section seemed fairly overpriced as well. Especially the Louie Armstrong ones.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the shop itself is pretty horrible, not very nice to walk about or anything

they have a slightly odd collection of cds to, some bands which are pretty big they have no albums for, while other lesser bands get quite a few

and a pitiful metal section downstairs

i think i shall justsstick to paying a couple of quid more and going to one up, which seems like a nicer more friendly place

David

Personally, I like the new Fopp.... I use Fopp as the store to buy all the "old albums that you never got round to getting" store... and for that it is very good as you can usually pick them up for a shy fiver.

I like the design of the store, everything is sectioned - which I like... mmm sections - and the cold atmosphere will stop it from becoming a kiddy hangout... meaning that when you do go in, you won't have to battle your way through a hoard of 14 year olds that actually aren't buying anything *cough* One-Up *cough* but yeah... I like it... I'll always use One-Up for my special purchases but for a typical Crimbo prezzie for dad... I think Fopp's the best bet. I got my mum a stack of books on politics last year for less than 20 quid, which I was rather pleased about.

Shame about the location, the other one was a skip from my front door. :p

They need some vinyl albums / singles and posters on the walls advertising gigs etc to give the place some atmosphere.

The annoying thing about Fopp is the amount of times that something you want has jumped up from 5 or 7 up to 15 squids before you know it...

But I'd still rather buy @ Fopp than HMV or Virgin

Dave

Guest stuartmaxwell
Well helpful as that is' date=' I think Glasgow is a little out my way to go for a second hand CD.[/quote']

great vynil my friend, lots of more obscure stuff too

well worth the trip :partyboy:

yeh.... cos like the new one is absolutely fukkin miles away!.....you twat! *in high pitched psychotic tones*

so we'll all chip in and get you a BMX for xmas ok?

I like the smell of new paint

You cheeky Fag.

Though.... a BMX is always welcome... I dream of a BMX to scoot to practise on :angel:

*reverts into 'high pitched psychotic tones'*

You fooking twat, I'll mash your cunt.... twat.... afro... synthy... twat.

*back to normal voice*

True.... the new one is like a 4 minute walk... urgh... the other one was 30 seconds max.... The labour.

:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

On top of that, FOPP's plan is probably to run OneUp out of business. Look at the signs: a much more commercial site for their business and planting themselves next to OneUp like that. Once OneUp is gone, FOPP will bump up their prices and stock up on the pop crap and they'll start to not stock the harder-to-find cds in the "minority" section... and we'll just have another fecking HMV which charges you 15.99 for albums which were released in 1997 (refers to OK Computer, which he found for a reasonable 7.99 in OneUp)

On top of that' date=' FOPP's plan is probably to run OneUp out of business. Look at the signs: a much more commercial site for their business and planting themselves next to OneUp like that. Once OneUp is gone, FOPP will bump up their prices and stock up on the pop crap and they'll start to not stock the harder-to-find cds in the "minority" section... and we'll just have another fecking HMV which charges you 15.99 for albums which were released in 1997 (refers to OK Computer, which he found for a reasonable 7.99 in OneUp)[/quote']

All prices are standardised accross the whole chain, so they're not undercutting one-up just to get rid of them....Fopp's just cheap for a lot of stuff.

Personally I like the new store - it's much more like the others - spacious and modern. I use Fopp to buy cheap DVD's and books etc but I get most of my stuff on the internet now as well. It's hard to find anything cheaper than it is on Amazon, unless it's in a special promotion ala Fopp's 5, 7 etc. I like OneUp a lot - but i'm going to buy my stuff wherever it's cheapest.

All prices are standardised accross the whole chain' date=' so they're not undercutting one-up just to get rid of them....Fopp's just cheap for a lot of stuff.

Personally I like the new store - it's much more like the others - spacious and modern. I use Fopp to buy cheap DVD's and books etc but I get most of my stuff on the internet now as well. It's hard to find anything cheaper than it is on Amazon, unless it's in a special promotion ala Fopp's 5, 7 etc. I like OneUp a lot - but i'm going to buy my stuff wherever it's cheapest.[/quote']

I guess what we have here then is the same situation with play.com and amazon.co.uk... Play is better for dvds as is Fopp and Amazon is great for cds. It's a matter of preference really.

All prices are standardised accross the whole chain' date=' so they're not undercutting one-up just to get rid of them....Fopp's just cheap for a lot of stuff.

Personally I like the new store - it's much more like the others - spacious and modern. I use Fopp to buy cheap DVD's and books etc but I get most of my stuff on the internet now as well. It's hard to find anything cheaper than it is on Amazon, unless it's in a special promotion ala Fopp's 5, 7 etc. I like OneUp a lot - but i'm going to buy my stuff wherever it's cheapest.[/quote']

Unless you work for Fopp and are trying to undermine us...

On top of that' date=' FOPP's plan is probably to run OneUp out of business. Look at the signs: a much more commercial site for their business and planting themselves next to OneUp like that. Once OneUp is gone, FOPP will bump up their prices and stock up on the pop crap and they'll start to not stock the harder-to-find cds in the "minority" section... and we'll just have another fecking HMV which charges you 15.99 for albums which were released in 1997 (refers to OK Computer, which he found for a reasonable 7.99 in OneUp)[/quote']

hardly...

I think Fopp's done a pretty good job at getting custom from HMV and Virgin, probably spent more money in there over the festive period than the other two major shops combined. Their DVD section is quite good and very, very reasonable. All of the Vipco Screamtime DVD's were 3 today as opposed to the 5.99 HMV r.r.p.

The number of great 5, 7 and 10 DVD titles makes me sick because i paid full-price in other shops for them. The only time i purchase things in HMV/Virgin these days is when nothing they are cheaper than fopp, wich is quite seldom. HMV also has a tiny bonus of student discount, do Fopp have anything like that?