aberdeen-music

biz relocate sent me this and i thought i'd share...

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy' date=' it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt[/quote']

Wasn't this disproven? What about anagrams that could be substituted for one another? Do I mean carp or crap?

Wasn't this disproven? What about anagrams that could be substituted for one another? Do I mean carp or crap?

BUT

if you had written CARP and it was surrounded by other words whose letters had been mixed up then your brain would assume that this word was mixed up as well and thus there could only be one other word... or at least that's what I'm thinking.

I think context has a lot to do with this as well. It's not just writing one word jumbled up but a whole paragraph. So each individual word fits into the context of the paragraph and your brain will associate those jumbled letters with only certain words in that context.

I think context has a lot to do with this as well. It's not just writing one word jumbled up but a whole paragraph. So each individual word fits into the context of the paragraph and your brain will associate those jumbled letters with only certain words in that context.

indeed. When Primary 1 kids are first taught to read' date=' they don't spell out the individual letters in a word, they are taught to recognise the whole word in the context of the sentence, because this is how the brain learns. If the whole sentence invokes a picture of a fishing trip for example, then the brain will read 'carp'. If the sentence is is a Frosty Jack post for example, the brain will naturally read it is as 'crap'...

p.s. Happy Birthday, btw...

• 1 year later...
Guest MerryChristmas
What medical school did you go to to learn this' date=' you fucking moron?[/quote']

hypochondria - thinking your ill

depression - feeling sad and trying to get everone to acknowledge it

dyslexia - haha, any fool can use this as an excuse. illiterate or semi-literate!

obesity - eat less/better - excercise more

dyslexia - haha' date=' any fool can use this as an excuse. illiterate or semi-literate!

obesity - eat less/better - excercise more[/quote']

Did you have to take lessons to be such a knob or does it just come naturally?

Two dyslexics, are ski-ing down a hill. They get get to the bottom and one turns to the other and says "Wow - check us out, zog-zigging down that hill."

"No that's wrong", replies his mate, "It's zig-zagging not zog-zigging".

They argue about this for 5 minutes then decide to seek a ruling on the dispute, so they approach a man with a small sledge. "Excuse me sir - but does one zog-zig down hills, or or zig-zag down hills?"

"Don't ask me guys", says the man with the small sledge, "I'm just a tobacconist".

Guest neil ex

dyslexia - haha' date=' any fool can use this as an excuse. illiterate or semi-literate!

obesity - eat less/better - excercise more[/quote']

Well lets hope you suffer from depression one day and then we'll all call you a hypochondriac..

I suspect you're just trying to wind folk up though..