aberdeen-music

punk and politics on Radio 1

Guest allsystemsfail

Guest allsystemsfail

Did anyone here catch the Radio 1 documentary Monday looking at the supposed great division in the punk community regarding politics? Was presented by The Lock Up's Mike Davis + had folks such as Fat Mike and Green Day's Billie Joe on the show.

If you did catch it, then what did you think? Thought it way overplayed the arguement between both conservative and leftist punks. Conservative punk is a fringe phenomenon with little real influence.

Try get your hands on the Nov MRR alot of interesting columns about this new 'Conservative Punk' movement, my two pence: Fat Mike is as big a moron as George W and is merely using the whle thing in an attempt to sell more records and achieve greater celebrity status, i'm sure he is against the president however printing t-shirts with 'not my president' on the front and then a huge fat wreck logo on the back is nothing more than a cheap advertising campaign in my eyes.

Try get your hands on the Nov MRR alot of interesting columns about this new 'Conservative Punk' movement' date=' my two pence: Fat Mike is as big a moron as George W and is merely using the whle thing in an attempt to sell more records and achieve greater celebrity status, i'm sure he is against the president however printing t-shirts with 'not my president' on the front and then a huge fat wreck label on the back is nothing more than a cheap advertising campaign in my eyes.[/quote']

well fucking said

Guest allsystemsfail
Try get your hands on the Nov MRR alot of interesting columns about this new 'Conservative Punk' movement' date=' my two pence: Fat Mike is as big a moron as George W and is merely using the whle thing in an attempt to sell more records and achieve greater celebrity status, i'm sure he is against the president however printing t-shirts with 'not my president' on the front and then a huge fat wreck logo on the back is nothing more than a cheap advertising campaign in my eyes.[/quote']

While like you I'm kinda skeptical of Fat Mike's motives, punkvoter.com and the Rock Against Bush comps have got a lotta folks talking. If folks are then gonna become politically active as a result, then I ain't got a real problem with it. Sure, I got issues with punkvoter (folks who know me know I ain't big on representative democracy), but at the end of the day if folks are then gonna do something, then fine.

While like you I'm extremely skeptical of Fat Mike's motives' date=' punkvoter.com and the Rock Against Bush comps have got a lotta folks talking. If folks are then gonna become politically active as a result, then I ain't got a real problem with it. Sure, I got issues with punkvoter (folks who know me know I ain't big on representative democracy), but at the end of the day if folks are then gonna do something, then fine.[/quote']

i understand where you're coming from with that but, selling the t-shirts at $13 when they cost $4 if that to produce, someone somewhere is lining their pockets from it all.

Guest allsystemsfail
i understand where you're coming from with that but' date=' selling the t-shirts at $13 when they cost $4 if that to produce, someone somewhere is lining their pockets from it all.[/quote']

Fair point.

$13 is nothing really...thats only like 7 or 8 quid, and i dont think you can complain about that...I dont think Fat Mike is the cleverest lyricist in amercia but hes made a lot of effort to get people to vote against Bush and I think thats cool...plus do you not agree that there needs to be someone in the mainstream to speak out against Bush...no one will give a fuck what DIY crusty punk bands have to say unless they like that kind of thing themselves and seeing as the music isnt easy on the ears, that doesnt leave a lot of people, listening to NOFX, Anti-Flag and Propagandhi and the sorts are able to make a difference

Guest allsystemsfail
$13 is nothing really...thats only like 7 or 8 quid' date=' and i dont think you can complain about that...I dont think Fat Mike is the cleverest lyricist in amercia but hes made a lot of effort to get people to vote against Bush and I think thats cool...plus do you not agree that there needs to be someone in the mainstream to speak out against Bush...no one will give a fuck what DIY crusty punk bands have to say unless they like that kind of thing themselves and seeing as the music isnt easy on the ears, that doesnt leave a lot of people, listening to NOFX, Anti-Flag and Propagandhi and the sorts are able to make a difference[/quote']

Yeah, as I said, I ain't got a problem with Fat Mike's efforts. And yes it's true that a lotta folks aren't gonna check out a lotta crust/noisecore outfits. So, I say fair play to the guy, and a lotta the Fat Wreck outfits.