aberdeen-music

Life Blood - Manics

Larsen B

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??? GT worse than TIMT???? That's blasphemy!!!! That album contains everything that was great about them in the early days. As for EMG' date=' it's over-rated in my opinion. I was playing through the songs on my guitar the other day, trying to think of ways to make them a bit more exciting because they sound too Britpoppy for my liking. And i just got bored and ended up playing GT songs instead. Much more fun. Also, as far as I'm concerned, it marks the start of the Wire's lyrics turning into meaningless rubbish. I mean, take La Tristesse Durera and No Surface, All Feeling. Both Wire penned lyrics. La Tristesse is a great lyric which encaptulates the sadness and struggles of an old war veteran. No Surface is about.... god knows.

As for Symphony Of Tourette, at least it's better than Nirvana's pityful attempt at the subject.

(I should probably point out I was a Bon Jovi fan in 1993. As a matter of fact, I got into both bands at the same time...)[/quote']

You see I never really liked the Manics for being fun. I'd listen to Goldie Lookin Chain if that's what i looked for in music. Lyrically most of Generation Terrorists is just idiotic ("Madonna drinks coke and so you can too") and musically i find that GnR sound to be repetitive and brutish. Although GT does capture a moment for them, showing them at their most ambitious and naieve, i don't think it shows them at anything near their best (THB obviously does that). And it's convienient of you to take a bad lyric from EMG and a good one from GATS. I can do it the other way around, take Design For Life and Drug Drug Druggy for example. Nicky Wire has never been a consistent lyricist, he usually displays his very best side and his worst side on the same album (If Tolerate This../SYMM, Design For Life/No Surface All Feeling, Solitude Sometimes Is/ Always/Never).

"Life Blood" is beautiful, mostly. My favourite tracks probably consist of "Cardiff Afterlife", "To Repel Ghosts", "A Song For Departure", and "Empty Souls". "Cardiff Afterlife" probably tips it, seeing as it's been on repeat for thirty minutes.

The Manics have realised that they're no longer in their early twenties, and alot of Manics fans should realise this too. The eyeliner just doesn't work anymore, you know? And their cheek-bones ain't as sharp.

It was the same with Radiohead when they released "Kid A";

"Oh no, we want another fucking "Bends"/"OK Computer", you haven't been given PERMISSION to attempt something different."

The thing with the Manics is that every album has been different in most respects. This is primarily the reason they've been around for so long, and most of the shite vanishes once the NME (With their lacking attention-spans) get bored of them.

Oh, and I suppose a "Killer Track" entails some wanky solo... :rolleyes:

You see I never really liked the Manics for being fun. I'd listen to Goldie Lookin Chain if that's what i looked for in music. Lyrically most of Generation Terrorists is just idiotic ("Madonna drinks coke and so you can too") and musically i find that GnR sound to be repetitive and brutish. Although GT does capture a moment for them' date=' showing them at their most ambitious and naieve, i don't think it shows them at anything near their best (THB obviously does that). And it's convienient of you to take a bad lyric from EMG and a good one from GATS. I can do it the other way around, take Design For Life and Drug Drug Druggy for example. Nicky Wire has never been a consistent lyricist, he usually displays his very best side and his worst side on the same album (If Tolerate This../SYMM, Design For Life/No Surface All Feeling, Solitude Sometimes Is/ Always/Never).[/quote']

Nah, I think that's a good lyric. Sums up the whole idea of celebrities advertising products. I think GT is their second strongest album in terms of lyrics. Um, and music. But then I'm a Guns N' Roses fan too, so I like all that kind of stuff. But different strokes for different folks I suppose.

As for the EMG/GATS lyrical comparisons, I chose those two cos they are two songs that I know to be Wire-only compisitions. The only other lyric off GATS that is purely Wire's (to my knowledge at least) is Symphony Of Tourette. And let's face it, it's not like Enola/Alone and Further Away are amazing examples either! Design For Life, for me, showed signs of an upcoming Wire lyrics problem... it basically has two verses and a chorus. He seems to have a problem saying things now.

Probably going to get abused for this, but I'd put GT and GATS above the Holy Bible. Musically, artistically and in every respect that matters to music journalists the Holy Bible is a far superior album, I only started really listening to it again recently and it does have some jaw-dropping tracks like Ifwhiteamerica..., Revol and Faster and lyrically it's absolutely genius, but it doesn't have that cocky swagger that I really love about the Manics, GT is the kind of "we've come to take over the world", GATS is "we didn't really take over the whole world so we'll write ten big ballsy stadium rock songs so we do".

The Holy Bible is artistically their best and I couldn't possibly argue that the other two are in any way better, but I prefer them. Their just unescapably in your face, even if you hate the band the songs are so catchy you can't help but listen, their the kind of albums that win people over, the Holy Bible's so brash that many people would be liable to just turn it off, but the first two you just can't turn them off. Also, I'm a bit of a sucker for leopard print and guitar solos, so that might have something to do with it.

Gold Against the Soul is worth buying for the four "hit" tracks, Roses in the Hospital, La Tristessa Durrera, Life Becoming a Landslide and From Despair to Where. I think the difference is, GT and GATS spit in your face, where as The Holy Bible just tears it right off. I haven't heard enough of Life Blood to comment on it so here's my list.

GT>GATS>THB>TIMT>EMG>KYE

Well you're the one who made the stupid comment that anyone with a left and a right ear will rightly deny. If you find Gold embarrassing then Ill gladly take it as i dont have it on cd.

:gringo:

It has a big fucking likeness to Bon Jovi in parts. Especially Life Becoming a Landslide. Nothing stupid about that comment at all and you are in no position to comment with your pitiful knowledge of music. And I like the artwork so there's no way I'm giving it to you. And Hummer i think it's ridiculous that you could consider the lyrical content of a song bad purely because it's in the verse/chorus format.

It has a big fucking likeness to Bon Jovi in parts. Especially Life Becoming a Landslide. Nothing stupid about that comment at all and you are in no position to comment with your pitiful knowledge of music. And I like the artwork so there's no way I'm giving it to you. And Hummer i think it's ridiculous that you could consider the lyrical content of a song bad purely because it's in the verse/chorus format.

Life Becoming A Landlslide does NOT sound like Bon Jovi!!!! No Manics song has ever sounded like Bon Jovi. I dont know what you base that on. Listen to Crossroads or whatever album and youll find (pleasantly) that the Manics sound nothing like that. Pitiful knowledge of music? Dont make me laugh. What makes you so knowledgeable? The fact that you can quote a lyric here or there? Sadly, im afraid not. Define knowledge of music. If its music in general, not genre-specific, then im afraid you're the one thats lacking. If youre talking about music that you like, then fair enough. Just dont take the pompous, self-righteous view that other people know nothing about music just because they like a few bands different from you. :moody:

Nah' date=' I think that's a good lyric. Sums up the whole idea of celebrities advertising products. I think GT is their second strongest album in terms of lyrics. Um, and music. But then I'm a Guns N' Roses fan too, so I like all that kind of stuff. But different strokes for different folks I suppose.

As for the EMG/GATS lyrical comparisons, I chose those two cos they are two songs that I know to be Wire-only compisitions. The only other lyric off GATS that is purely Wire's (to my knowledge at least) is Symphony Of Tourette. And let's face it, it's not like Enola/Alone and Further Away are amazing examples either! Design For Life, for me, showed signs of an upcoming Wire lyrics problem... it basically has two verses and a chorus. He seems to have a problem saying things now.[/quote']

I have to completly dissagree with this.

For starters, yes, La Tristesse is one of their finest songs, I don't think many Manics fans would contest that. However No Surface All Feeling is an amazing song. It's not about "god knows" - It' s got some amazing lines, which I won't bother quoting, but when you take into consideration it was the last song they rehearsed together with Richey (it was the time he was willing to learn guitar) it is a poignant end to an otherwise uplifting album. And it's fucking better than the tracks that finish Generation Terrorists (laughably crap - They'd shot their load with the first half of the album and then some) and Gold Against The Soul (another filler track that is so instantly forgettable compared with the rest of the album it's unbelievable)

Further Away was the Manics first self confessed love song and it's brilliant. It adds dimension to the album and works really well for me. Okay, Enola /Alone is hardly a classic, but it fits in with the album and has some brilliant little lines in it. Design For Life is a simple but effective song. It doesn't need loads of verses and bridges and lengthy guitar solos (like Motorcycle - one of their best songs) because it's meant to be punchy and carry a message everyone can relate to.

Now I don't think Everything Must Go is their best album or anything , but I still think it's got some great songs on it. As a complete album it's certainly better than Gen Terrorists where the first half is so amazing, swaggering, energetic and bursting with ideas it's hard to take in. Then you get to the second side and it's a turgid, lacklustre load of old tosh. I hate that aspect of the album. Repeat (Stars and Stripes) is one of the worst songs on any Manics Album and is utterly pointless. It's got a clearly filler cover track (Damn Dog) and the rest is all pretty pointless as well. "Spectators of Suicide" is ruined on the album - The B - Side version is pretty good.

Holy Bible is my fave album, just beating Gold Against The Soul. It hangs together so well as a complete body of work if you like, and has so many amazing songs. It really is a unique album. And the videos from that time are a reminder how fucking ace they used to look round that era. Who saw Top of The Pops when James came running on to Faster with the balaclava on? Amazing.

I really like the new album. The more I listen, the more I like. It is a pity there's not more guitar work, as it's a waste that a guitar player as good as James isn't playing to his strengths, but the singing and songwriting are brilliant. 1985 is truly amazing. what a song. It's almost like a different band. "We've realised there's no turning back................."

I reckon Wire will go down in history as a McCartney - type. The guy's on a hiding to nothing, because "true" Manics fans will always say It's never been the same since Richey left, forgetting the first two albums were 50 / 50 lyrics and it was only the Holy Bible where Richey wrote more than the Wire. I think, by and large, he is doing a fine job. Okay, Watsville Blues was unforgiveable and SYMM was a clumsy, clumsy song, but on the whole I reckon he is a great lyricst. But, just like Lennon who is "the dead guy" who it's trendier to like, Richey - era will be rememebred as the "Real" Manics. Bollocks to that, I say. Not takig anything away from the three albums he worked on, but they had to move on.

Anayway, after all that, who else reckons the tracklisting on their "Greatest Hits" CD was shit? I bought the DVD with the videos instead, as it was a "singles" collection and was much better.

"Life Blood" is beautiful' date=' mostly. My favourite tracks probably consist of "Cardiff Afterlife", "To Repel Ghosts", "A Song For Departure", and "Empty Souls". "Cardiff Afterlife" probably tips it, seeing as it's been on repeat for thirty minutes.

The Manics have realised that they're no longer in their early twenties, and alot of Manics fans should realise this too. The eyeliner just doesn't work anymore, you know? And their cheek-bones ain't as sharp.

It was the same with Radiohead when they released "Kid A";

"Oh no, we want another fucking "Bends"/"OK Computer", you haven't been given PERMISSION to attempt something different."

The thing with the Manics is that every album has been different in most respects. This is primarily the reason they've been around for so long, and most of the shite vanishes once the NME (With their lacking attention-spans) get bored of them.

Oh, and I suppose a "Killer Track" entails some wanky solo... :rolleyes:[/quote']

Thats whats most impressive about the manics for me, every album they have made they have managed to reinvent themselves in image, music and lyrics, and they have never been afraid to do what they want to, which is a quality i appreciate in most other bands i like. Its just a shame that they will never achieve the same quality as HB ever again, but i suppose you cant repeat such a personal and contextual record. :gringo:

And Hummer i think it's ridiculous that you could consider the lyrical content of a song bad purely because it's in the verse/chorus format.

Woooooah there! That's not what I meant at all! Don't get me confused for one of those twats who thinks verse/chorus songs are musically insipid or whatnot. I was criticising the fact he only manages to write about two verses now, whereas in the old days they would say so much in one song. Back then, they seemed to have trouble fitting in everything they wanted to say into a song. Now, Nicky seems to have trouble finding enough to say to fill out a 3 minute track. Granted, there was two of them there to write things, but even in the songs Nicky wrote by himself he seemed to have less trouble finding things to say.

I have to completly dissagree with this.

For starters' date=' yes, La Tristesse is one of their finest songs, I don't think many Manics fans would contest that. However No Surface All Feeling is an amazing song. It's not about "god knows" - It' s got some amazing lines, which I won't bother quoting, but when you take into consideration it was the last song they rehearsed together with Richey (it was the time he was willing to learn guitar) it is a poignant end to an otherwise uplifting album. And it's fucking better than the tracks that finish Generation Terrorists (laughably crap - They'd shot their load with the first half of the album and then some) and Gold Against The Soul (another filler track that is so instantly forgettable compared with the rest of the album it's unbelievable)[/quote'] You have a point with GATS, and listening to the b-sides just now, I'm just thinking what an absolutely AMAZING album it would have been with Comfort Comes, Are Mothers Saints, Patrick Bateman and Donkeys at the end instead of GATS. However, as for GT, I think the end tracks get bad, um, press. Crucifix Kiss and Methadone Pretty are prime examples of early Manics, and Condemned To Rock N Roll was a great way to finish the album off. They wanted to make an album that sounded like GNR, what better way to finish it than with one of James' biggest fret-wanks? However, don't get me wrong, I think No Surface is one of the best tracks on EMG. It was one of the first songs I tried to learn when I bought the EMG tab book all those years ago because it's a great riff with lovely little touches throughout, and I think it is a great way to finish the album.

Further Away was the Manics first self confessed love song and it's brilliant. It adds dimension to the album and works really well for me. Okay' date=' Enola /Alone is hardly a classic, but it fits in with the album and has some brilliant little lines in it. Design For Life is a simple but effective song. It doesn't need loads of verses and bridges and lengthy guitar solos (like Motorcycle - one of their best songs) because it's meant to be punchy and carry a message everyone can relate to.[/quote'] Just to be anal, Motorcycle Emptiness has a solo AND an end solo, and apparently Nicky claims that they still haven't written a love song. Highly dubious claim though. But don't get me wrong, I don't think there are any songs on EMG that are without at least a certain amount of merit. But I just think that GATS is a better album.
Now I don't think Everything Must Go is their best album or anything ' date=' but I still think it's got some great songs on it. As a complete album it's certainly better than Gen Terrorists where the first half is so amazing, swaggering, energetic and bursting with ideas it's hard to take in. Then you get to the second side and it's a turgid, lacklustre load of old tosh. I hate that aspect of the album. Repeat (Stars and Stripes) is one of the worst songs on any Manics Album and is utterly pointless. It's got a clearly filler cover track (Damn Dog) and the rest is all pretty pointless as well. "Spectators of Suicide" is ruined on the album - The B - Side version is pretty good.[/quote'] I've got a mate who reckons Repeat (Stars & Stripes) is the best song! He's soooo wrong though. And yeah, Damn Dog is a bit pants, and the Heavenly version of Spectators is better, but only just. The production is very shoddy. If that version had made the album, and therefore have gotten the same production treatment as the rest, it would have easily been one of the highlights. The solo is absolutely orgasmic. But I think updating the lyrics was a wise move. However, it did take me a while to love the later tracks, if only because I tended to just not have time to listen to them all in one go.
Holy Bible is my fave album' date=' just beating Gold Against The Soul. It hangs together so well as a complete body of work if you like, and has so many amazing songs. It really is a unique album. And the videos from that time are a reminder how fucking ace they used to look round that era. Who saw Top of The Pops when James came running on to Faster with the balaclava on? Amazing.[/quote'] And anyone with any sense will be able to see it for themselves when the double CD + DVD set of THB comes out on 6th December. A balaclava on TOTP during the height of the IRA crisis? An absolute masterstroke. No band will ever look as good as they did then.
I really like the new album. The more I listen' date=' the more I like. It is a pity there's not more guitar work, as it's a waste that a guitar player as good as James isn't playing to his strengths, but the singing and songwriting are brilliant. 1985 is truly amazing. what a song. It's almost like a different band. "We've realised there's no turning back................."[/quote']Yep, everytime I listen to it, I love it even more. There are now no tracks that I don't think are great. Every single one is a killer. Well, maybe not Emily, but it's still good.
I reckon Wire will go down in history as a McCartney - type. The guy's on a hiding to nothing' date=' because "true" Manics fans will always say It's never been the same since Richey left, forgetting the first two albums were 50 / 50 lyrics and it was only the Holy Bible where Richey wrote more than the Wire. I think, by and large, he is doing a fine job. Okay, Watsville Blues was unforgiveable and SYMM was a clumsy, clumsy song, but on the whole I reckon he is a great lyricst. But, just like Lennon who is "the dead guy" who it's trendier to like, Richey - era will be rememebred as the "Real" Manics. Bollocks to that, I say. Not takig anything away from the three albums he worked on, but they had to move on. [/quote'] This is the thing with Wire. He's still probably my favourite lyricist around at the moment. It's just that he was better! And that's what's so disappointing. It's not like Joy Divison vs New Order, where it's no surprise that New Order's lyrics are vastly inferior, because one of the guys who wrote half of the first three albums is still in the band! Yet the lyrics seem to be less than half as good. But they are still better than most out there.
Anayway' date=' after all that, who else reckons the tracklisting on their "Greatest Hits" CD was shit? I bought the DVD with the videos instead, as it was a "singles" collection and was much better.[/quote']

I dunno anyone who thinks it WASN'T shite to be honest! The DVD is truly immense though. The Sony video for You Love Us is just brilliant.

You have a point with GATS' date=' and listening to the b-sides just now, I'm just thinking what an absolutely AMAZING album it would have been with Comfort Comes, Are Mothers Saints, Patrick Bateman and Donkeys at the end instead of GATS. However, as for GT, I think the end tracks get bad, um, press. Crucifix Kiss and Methadone Pretty are prime examples of early Manics, and Condemned To Rock N Roll was a great way to finish the album off. They wanted to make an album that sounded like GNR, what better way to finish it than with one of James' biggest fret-wanks? However, don't get me wrong, I think No Surface is one of the best tracks on EMG. It was one of the first songs I tried to learn when I bought the EMG tab book all those years ago because it's a great riff with lovely little touches throughout, and I think it is a great way to finish the album.

Just to be anal, Motorcycle Emptiness has a solo AND an end solo, and apparently Nicky claims that they still haven't written a love song. Highly dubious claim though. But don't get me wrong, I don't think there are any songs on EMG that are without at least a certain amount of merit. But I just think that GATS is a better album.

I've got a mate who reckons Repeat (Stars & Stripes) is the best song! He's soooo wrong though. And yeah, Damn Dog is a bit pants, and the Heavenly version of Spectators is better, but only just. The production is very shoddy. If that version had made the album, and therefore have gotten the same production treatment as the rest, it would have easily been one of the highlights. The solo is absolutely orgasmic. But I think updating the lyrics was a wise move. However, it did take me a while to love the later tracks, if only because I tended to just not have time to listen to them all in one go.

And anyone with any sense will be able to see it for themselves when the double CD + DVD set of THB comes out on 6th December. A balaclava on TOTP during the height of the IRA crisis? An absolute masterstroke. No band will ever look as good as they did then.

Yep, everytime I listen to it, I love it even more. There are now no tracks that I don't think are great. Every single one is a killer. Well, maybe not Emily, but it's still good.

This is the thing with Wire. He's still probably my favourite lyricist around at the moment. It's just that he was better! And that's what's so disappointing. It's not like Joy Divison vs New Order, where it's no surprise that New Order's lyrics are vastly inferior, because one of the guys who wrote half of the first three albums is still in the band! Yet the lyrics seem to be less than half as good. But they are still better than most out there.

I dunno anyone who thinks it WASN'T shite to be honest! The DVD is truly immense though. The Sony video for You Love Us is just brilliant.[/quote']

Some really good points there, min. I'm chuffed to have met someone as passionate about the band as I am!

Fully agree with the Gold Against The Soul b - sides thing. They were some of the best SONGS they recorded, not just B - Sides! The one thing that's annoyed me as the years go by is the way the band distanced themselves from Patrick Bateman - Do you think it's one of their finest songs? I think it's lyrically one of the greatest songs ever. It's so fucking clever and fluid and the muisc is just brilliant. James' best solo for me, and the little guitar fills between verses are ace too (bridges? - I don't play music, so excuse my ignorance!) Are Mother Saints is beaut too, but a wee rip off of the Motorcycle riff????? And Donkeys is amazing - How could they have used Gold Against The Soul instead of Donkeys? A crime, I tell you!

Hear what you're saying about EMG - Naebody's arguing about which album we all like best, but it's good to hear you like EMG in general - I think too many "real fans" are quick to dismiss it. Have you experienced that before?

And I've been listening to Lifeblood all weekend - It just gets better and better. Empty Souls next single. Probably a number 29er, but when have chart positions been important? Song For Departure stands out for me now, along with the aformentioned 1985. Live To Fall Asleep is top too.

Yeah, can't wait for Holy Bible to be reissued. Got my copy ordered!

Cheers min. :up:

Some really good points there' date=' min. I'm chuffed to have met someone as passionate about the band as I am!

Fully agree with the Gold Against The Soul b - sides thing. They were some of the best SONGS they recorded, not just B - Sides! The one thing that's annoyed me as the years go by is the way the band distanced themselves from Patrick Bateman - Do you think it's one of their finest songs? I think it's lyrically one of the greatest songs ever. It's so fucking clever and fluid and the muisc is just brilliant. James' best solo for me, and the little guitar fills between verses are ace too (bridges? - I don't play music, so excuse my ignorance!) Are Mother Saints is beaut too, but a wee rip off of the Motorcycle riff????? And Donkeys is amazing - How could they have used Gold Against The Soul instead of Donkeys? A crime, I tell you!

Hear what you're saying about EMG - Naebody's arguing about which album we all like best, but it's good to hear you like EMG in general - I think too many "real fans" are quick to dismiss it. Have you experienced that before?

And I've been listening to Lifeblood all weekend - It just gets better and better. Empty Souls next single. Probably a number 29er, but when have chart positions been important? Song For Departure stands out for me now, along with the aformentioned 1985. Live To Fall Asleep is top too.

Yeah, can't wait for Holy Bible to be reissued. Got my copy ordered!

Cheers min. :up:[/quote']

Patrick Bateman has some of James' best guitar work. It's one of those that I just cannot play cos it's just too intricate. Absolutely love the ending bit, it's brutal as fuck... apparently the reason it wasn't on Lipstick Traces was the fact it's so long, cos Nicky loves it, it's just James that can't stand it. But then he seems to do that with his fretwankathons (Love's Sweet Exile, Condemned To Rock N Roll...). I don't think there's much argument about the lyrics though, excellently brutal stuff. It's weird how it went from being touted as their next single to being a mere b-side...

It's mad though. Comfort Comes, Are Mothers Saints, Donkeys, Us Against You... every single (non-cover) b-side from that era had absolute killer solos. I reckon they just put them on b-sides so that JDB wouldn't have to play them live ever. Lazy bastard!

As for EMG being dismissed, you'd be surprised... there are some that claim KYE and TIMT are their best albums. Apart from THB generally being regarded as the best, every album has it's fair share of fans. That's what happens when you change your sound with every album though.

I taped it. It was passable,nothing special. It was pretty much just clips of videos spliced with an interview with James, they only obviously had access to the Sony videos, which was a bit silly as James spoke for a while about Motown Junk and recording that etc, which they followed up with a 2 minute clip of Motorcycle Emptiness. James did say some interesting things in the interview though, about how happy Richey would have been to see "If you tolerate this" get to number 1, as his ambition was always to get a song about some major historic event (the Spanish Civil War) into the top ten and into popular culture. He also spoke about how he knew Richey wouldn't be "dissapointed" in their change in sound as many fans think, as they'd actually already recorded a lot of the Demo's for Everything Must Go with Richey, for Small Black Flowers, All Surface and Kevin Carter (although I don't think Kevin Carter was a major change in sound, I don't think it would have been massively out of place on the Holy Bible).

Nothing Earth-shattering, but interesting nonetheless. I did feel the whole Richey era was dispensed with in the first 5 minutes though.

I taped it. It was passable' date='nothing special. It was pretty much just clips of videos spliced with an interview with James, they only obviously had access to the Sony videos, which was a bit silly as James spoke for a while about Motown Junk and recording that etc, which they followed up with a 2 minute clip of Motorcycle Emptiness. James did say some interesting things in the interview though, about how happy Richey would have been to see "If you tolerate this" get to number 1, as his ambition was always to get a song about some major historic event (the Spanish Civil War) into the top ten and into popular culture. He also spoke about how he knew Richey wouldn't be "dissapointed" in their change in sound as many fans think, as they'd actually already recorded a lot of the Demo's for Everything Must Go with Richey, for Small Black Flowers, All Surface and Kevin Carter (although I don't think Kevin Carter was a major change in sound, I don't think it would have been massively out of place on the Holy Bible).

Nothing Earth-shattering, but interesting nonetheless. I did feel the whole Richey era was dispensed with in the first 5 minutes though.[/quote']

I saw that programme last year, it's terrible! Such a wasted opportunity. But it was ITV so it's to be expected really.

The thing about Tolerate being about the Spanish Civil War is that you can;t tell except for the fact Nicky always harps on about it. I mean, unless you actually know the significance of a line like "if I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists", it's completely unobvious, and you just get Nicky sitting there thinking "har har har, look at them all singing this song about the Spanish Civil War, and they don't even know it! They're all so stupid! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!"

At least Kevin Carter is pretty self-explainitory.