aberdeen-music

songwriting!

bryn

Who do ya reckon are the best songwriters in the past zillion years??

I'm talkin bare boned verse chorus fucking verse here!

The Beatles - Set a standard of modern pop thats been copied and reproduced a million times. Listening to Abbey Road can pus a smile on anyones face for their superb catchy yet incredibly cool tunes.

The Police - More musical than the Beatles, The Police to me write really 'intellectual' songs (I guess..). Andy Summers (sumners?) guitar parts, although sometimes a sketchy can be really cool, Sting, great catchy basslines, and the drummer? Stuart Copeland - Immensely interesting drumming. I think the chorus in 'Driven to Tears' made me really realise that standard songwriting doens't have to be simple (not meant to be taken toooo literaly..).blah blah

Nirvana - Don't let this put you off! 'In Bloom' - one of the coolest power chord riffs ever? alot of the stuff on In utero is pretty great and the latter songs on 'incesticide' - particularly the sort of jam one with the almost funky bass line and scratchy guitars.

Theres so many more I can't be arsed writing about, though I find mainly from decades before say, the 90s. Agree?

More modern - Franz Ferdinand have some good riffs n things. Morcheeba are great. Oasis - bit of a beatles rip going on but yeah good songs (Blur ripped them though..). ummmm, I really don't think the strokes, razorlight, jet, the killers, the thrills, the whatevers, the nme bands, are up to much 'cop' at all.

Locally

Hot Mangus song 'Pervy' is very catchy, and also pretty interesting for a standard format.

The Void - Gingerbread man is a good song, also 10ew (way for contradictions!) 'man who sold your house' is good.

Excuse the shitness of this post my computer crashed twice during writing and it sounded better before. :(

chas n dave have written some cracking singalonga pub piano songs in their time, much undervalued.

on a local scale i think scott and al (maple/nero/le reno amps) write some bloomin marvellous songs, really simple but effective and memorable.

By-the-by' date=' it's the Officers birthday soon.

I'd say Adam and the Ants. No one else I have ever heard has bothered to even try having two drummers, and the sounds they made are amazing.[/quote']

actually sigue sigue sputnik and the glitter band had two drummers but it is a rare commodity