aberdeen-music

2018/2019 Football Season Thread

Guest E.C

Good article. Reading some football forums, usually populated by knuckle draggers of many varieties, they all still champion Andy Gray as being the best. Probably because he was so enthusiastic. Even when he was on Sky, what did he offer other than shouting the loudest? This is the same man who's soundbite is continually quoted, when he claimed Messi couldn't do it on a cold night in Stoke. And then, you know, the deplorable sexist jibes.

On the article specifically, I do kind of agree with Paul Robinson on how the top coaches and managers can't educate their players on taking throw-ins themselves, but whilst it might seem funny to some, foul throws have become far, far too common in the last few years. Personally, I think the foul throw rule is dumb anyway, and as long as you throw the ball in with two hands over your head, how you release the ball, or not having both feet on the ground doesn't seem like it should make much difference, but it's the rules and players seem to be forgetting them and carelessly taking throw ins. Also, how often does possession turn over from a throw in? All the time. You will be coached on set pieces, and not just expected to kick the ball towards an opponent, so coaching throw ins doesn't seem all that ridiculous, but it does seem ridiculous that coaches that are in place aren't already able to do this.

Richard Keys is one of the worst people involved in football, but he seems to do well to stay on topic, whilst Andy Gray reverts to type.

Speaking of terrible pundits, here's the relentlessly embittered Graeme Souness ranting about Paul Pogba (again) about a game he didn't even watch as he was doing punditry on the Watford/Spurs game (United won, Pogba played well). Bellamy does a little chuckle as soon as Souness mentions Pogba's name, because the guy is like clockwork.

The face at the end though... (Ignore the tweet. Whoever uses cry-laugh emoji's is pretty much always a bell-end)

The hatred is real. He is one wayward Pogba pass away from having a Frank Grimes-esque meltdown, dabbing around the Sky Studio, before launching himself through the glass.

I'm chipping it out for a goal kick! Give me a raise!

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 11:01 AM, Captain America said:

This isn't the Humour section of the forum.

5 wins on the bounce, 2 away wins, and a clean sheet yesterday... probably still crumble for the entirety of winter, but it's currently quite enjoyable not to hate myself even more than I already do twice a week.

When Leicester won the league, everyone else who should have challenged was terrible. Spurs were so bad they finished 3rd in a two horse race. Chelsea finished 10th, Liverpool 8th. There'll never be a season as spectacularly poor as that one.

Arsenal won't win it, but I predict they'll be comfortably back in the top 4, as will Chelsea, at the expense of United and Spurs.

11 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

When Leicester won the league, everyone else who should have challenged was terrible. Spurs were so bad they finished 3rd in a two horse race. Chelsea finished 10th, Liverpool 8th. There'll never be a season as spectacularly poor as that one.

Arsenal won't win it, but I predict they'll be comfortably back in the top 4, as will Chelsea, at the expense of United and Spurs.

yeah but when have you ever been right about anything

It was hilarious.

Is there a more toxic football club on earth right now? Pogba is an arse, but Mourinho is a bigger arse. I wish PP would take one for the team and just chin the cunt. I know he wants to.

Phil Jones is a pointless human. Just a complete waste of carbon. The highlight of his career is the infinite memes of his stupid face.

He had a purple patch where he looked great pretty good last season but effort has always been his main attribute - which for a top flight footballer, isn't ever going to be enough. Still, that's more than can be said for most of the Man Utd team at the moment.

I've never been a fan but it used to be a treat to watch a Man Utd game, even for a large majority of the post-Fergie era. You'd at least get something out of it even when the team wasn't at its peak  - a piece of individual brilliance or a good team goal or whatever - but now there are probably 15 or so teams in the PL I'd rather watch right now.

12 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

He had a purple patch where he looked great pretty good last season but effort has always been his main attribute - which for a top flight footballer, isn't ever going to be enough. Still, that's more than can be said for most of the Man Utd team at the moment.

I've never been a fan but it used to be a treat to watch a Man Utd game, even for a large majority of the post-Fergie era. You'd at least get something out of it even when the team wasn't at its peak  - a piece of individual brilliance or a good team goal or whatever - but now there are probably 15 or so teams in the PL I'd rather watch right now.

Pretty harsh on the 4 teams that aren't United.

Though I imagine one of them is Newcastle, obviously. They are muck.

I don't think Phil Jones would have developed very well anywhere. His injury record is unbelievable. And it's not like he's got one disaster of a knee like Owen Hargreaves had. Phil Jones injures everything, usually from being over-zealous or just being stupid. He's brave and loves to throw himself around, but he's dumb, has zero football IQ. The penalty he gave away in the FA Cup final is the epitome of him. As is this:

Dn-B29iX0AIrpWm.jpg

It's mad that he went to the World Cup and Smalling didn't, because he can pass a ball marginally better.

Mark Hughes' Southampton also. I'd watch Burnley over Southampton a thousand times over.

It's amazing how many times any team managed by Hughes will play an absolutely horrendous game of football, and he'll stand infront of a camera at full time saying that they were the better team and deserved something from the game, usually with a moan about the referee.

Sparky could spill his own glass of milk in an empty room, and it'd be the referees fault.

Edited by Soda Jerk

I don’t understand how JWP doesn’t get a game for Sparky. He’s inconsistent but his delivery is deadly and they’ve got 3 of the most poachey strikers and the tallest player in the world now Crouch has retired. Hughes probably thinks he’s too good for balls into the box yet his reputation was forged by Roque Santa Cruz nodding pings from Morten Gamst Pederson

Everyone who plays a position that Ward-Prowse can play is generally better at everything than Ward-Prowse is, except kicking a football. He's like a slimmer, non-dickhead version of Charlie Adam. He can whip it, but he's pretty crap at everything else. No pace, a slight breeze could knock him off balance, seems to hate putting his foot in to a challenge.

If they had the luxury of having a strong team around him, they could play him in a Pirlo-like role, where can just stroll around and ping the ball about and take all their free kicks all without getting his knees dirty. But they don't have that luxury. They are shite.

Morten Gamst Pedersen. That's a name I've not heard for ages. My only lasting memory of him, besides his despicable dives, was that time he whipped in a free kick with his right foot, despite being known for being left footed, and the commentary team just lost it. It was like he delivered the ball using witchcraft. 

Rumours circulating that Zidane will oust Mourinho. I don't see anything happening this side of Christmas, but there's some reputable sources picking it up.

Seems weird to have doubts over a manger who won the Champions League three years in a row, but even though he inherited a team that had been shat on by Rafa Benitez, they were - and are - still some of the best players in the world. He didn't really touch the transfer market in 3 years there, he didn't really need to, but he'd have to at United, and probably in January if he wants to salvage the season.

If he joins United, the only player he would inherit of that calibre is David De Gea. 

And Jesse Lingard obvs.

It's hard to know how good a manager Zidane really is but at least you know he's bound to be less system-oriented when it comes to giving his best players a bit of freedom. He chopped and changed a lot at Real in terms of formation, seemingly based on who was in form at the time. A bit more difficult to do when your options don't extend much further than Scott McTominay and Ashley Young.

Zidane would probably prefer the empty seat in the dressing room over keeping McTominay. He isn't even a footballer. He is just a pawn being used to make a point. Mourinho played him when he made an example of Pogba last season and dropped him for a Champions League knockout. He also created the "Jose Mourinho Player of the Year Award" for United's end of season awards ceremony, and gave it to McTominay.

I don't believe for a second that Mourinho rates McTominay as a footballer, but he's one of those guys who will go to war for him, so it doesn't matter if he's good or not. He wasn't even the best player in the U23s, and if he went back to that level now, he still wouldn't be. He is basically a bigger Tom Cleverley.

Zidane would be better off playing himself.

And again. Bailly brought off as a sub after 15 minutes, replaced in the back four by McTominay.

Last weekend Lindelof went off and McT stayed on and played in the back four. Actual centre backs, replaced by an inexperienced bang-average nothing midfielder.

Jose needs to rage quit this FM save.

Edited by Soda Jerk

gutted United pulled that one back. a 2-0 defeat at home to Mike Ashley's Wunderkinds would have been too tasty.

In other news, Arsenal gonna win the league! 9 wins in a row!