aberdeen-music

Others call my musical taste boring, is this true?

johnhoang87

For some reason, a lot of people keep telling me that my taste in music is very dreary/dull. I've listed some examples that I can think of below:

*A boy at school said to me that "I have one of the strangest tastes in music" that he's ever come across
*I once gave my dad a couple of CDs, and he refused to take them because he found the music all sounded the same
*A lot of people have said that the Foo Fighters album "One By One" is one of their least memorable, but it's their only album that I can remember everything on
*Someone here said that I listened to a lot of "mediocre bands"
*My dad told me that there was no Coldplay or U2 song more memorable than Radiohead's "Creep". I could name several older Coldplay and U2 tracks, along with several Radiohead ones off of the same album (You, Lurgee, Prove Yourself)

So these are some songs that I'm currently into:
*Lurgee by Radiohead
*Clocks by Coldplay
*Bionic by Placebo
*Porcelain by Moby
*You Don't Have to Tell Me Now by Grant Hart
*Untitled by Interpol
*Vapour Trail by Ride
*Pieces by Dinosaur Jr
*Shining Light by Ash
*If You're Thinking Of Me by Dodgy
*Disorder by Joy Division

Do you know why other people call this stuff dull but I find it far easier to remember than what they listen to? Is there any similarity between these songs?

• Upvote 1

I also like how the first sentence says "a lot of people keep telling me that my taste in music is very dreary/dull"

then the next line says "A boy at school said to me that "I have one of the strangest tastes in music" that he's ever come across"

It begs the question - which one is it? Dull or strange - which to me are borderline diametrically opposed. Or what sort of shit does the boy at school listen to if he thinks Coldplay are 'strange'?

1 hour ago, Dan G said:

The biggest give away - apart from all of it - is the line:

'Someone here said that I listened to a lot of "mediocre bands"'

In a first post.

Can someone explain to me the point of spam-bots?

The pattern seems to be that they post a few really generic comments so we think they're one of us, then they start posting the spammy links later. Like that one last week that posted insightful things like "in politics, everything is difficult" in the Politics forum. 

14 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

The pattern seems to be that they post a few really generic comments so we think they're one of us, then they start posting the spammy links later. Like that one last week that posted insightful things like "in politics, everything is difficult" in the Politics forum. 

See Exhibit A. That final post, where the spam is finally revealed, is a classic. 

"I decided to sniff their conversation" 

20180629_122303_zps8lkmctfg.png

7 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

That is some excellent Bot Conversation Sniffing.

They've got a 7 page thread over there, and no one seems to be talking about how it's definitely a bot.

Bunch of dweebs.

The OP on that thread has 157 posts, I think that may be genuine. Then our bot copy pasted it for some reason.