aberdeen-music

What time of day does afternoon become evening?

Guest E.C

Somewhere between 5 and 6 PM, when the sun goes down. Fucking obviously. Oh, seasons, you say? Other than "hot" and "hotter"? Thinking back to staying awake all night with it never getting dark (or the normal business of "all day" with the sun barely up) then... depends... back of 5?

It depends on whether your temporal logic is based on a relationist or an absolutist position. If you are to accept the notion that 'time does not exist without change' - as Aristotle argued - then 'evening' may be observed as starting only in relation to the end of 'afternoon'. In other words, one could not impose a pre-determined start time for 'evening' , instead only describe it as occurring when 'afternoon' has elapsed. On the other hand, a Newtonian analysis would dictate that time exists independently of the objects or actors within. That is to say '5 for 5:30'

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Unrelated to time of evening, here’s one I bet most north east folk don’t notice:

when you say ‘go and pass us the [insert thing here] please’ or ‘go and change the channel please’ people not from the north east sometimes think it’s really rude. Even if your manners are spot on the ‘go and’ part is very abrasive to most people. 

I have had bother with the NE use of the word 'fine' which when pronounced a certain way means 'really good' - those not familiar with the distinction have sometimes got a bit offended because they think I called something amazing simply acceptable, OK, inoffensive. 

The use of the word 'rare' in the same context tends to cause confusion rather than offence - particularly when describing commonplace things of excellent quality :)

I enjoy the confusion. 

Edited by neepheid
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Unrelated to time of evening, here’s one I bet most north east folk don’t notice:

when you say ‘go and pass us the [insert thing here] please’ or ‘go and change the channel please’ people not from the north east sometimes think it’s really rude. Even if your manners are spot on the ‘go and’ part is very abrasive to most people. 

gonnae no dae that.