Jump to content
aberdeen-music
Lordie

How can we ALL get a decent music scene happening in Aberdeen..??

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, colb said:

How was that a dig? The page might actually have been called up and coming, and all band photos from 10+ years ago are comedy. 

'comedy photo'. 

As far as I recall it was just a normal (if not somewhat generic) band photo, rather than being anything particularly cringe-worthy.

I wasn't meaning to have a go btw - just seemed an unnecessary qualifying phrase. But then again I'm a 35-trapped-in-a-25-year-old's body, so 2008 feels neither hilariously dated or particularly far away to me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Total Guitar!? (OK, it's the poppier, easiest - for instruction purposes - end of guitar mags; although I'd say that's more impressive, given the genre, than ending up in Guitar Techniques brief, tiny flirtation with anything but tuition), but still. I recall there being various incarnations of up-and-comerspieces, most/all of which (bands) got nowhere big AKAIK.... but still if I got in there I wouldn't have chucked it, no.  I think Sikth got mentioned multiple times (readers writing in raving about them; non-plussing the staff) without ever getting a photo, let alone a tab.

It's been the best bit of looking through these mags, apart from the ridiculously low prices of guitars 10-15 years ago and the awful tech we all thought was great. Obviously never heard of most of the up and coming bands but Gallows and FFAF were in the ones i've read so far.

All the tabs are terrible obvs, just the same recycled tunes over and over again - so many Nirvana tunes that people shouldn't need help to play.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dan G said:

'comedy photo'. 

As far as I recall it was just a normal (if not somewhat generic) band photo, rather than being anything particularly cringe-worthy.

I wasn't meaning to have a go btw - just seemed an unnecessary qualifying phrase. But then again I'm a 35-trapped-in-a-25-year-old's body, so 2008 feels neither hilariously dated or particularly far away to me!

All band photos are comedy, this one was just a standard metal glower at the camera I think - not bad in any way, just the same generic poses we all use to lump a group of people together. made me laugh more cos of reading this thread than anything else.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, colb said:

All band photos are comedy, this one was just a standard metal glower at the camera I think - not bad in any way, just the same generic poses we all use to lump a group of people together. made me laugh more cos of reading this thread than anything else.  

Fair play - sorry for misinterpreting your post. My memory of the hilarious band photos were five years earlier, circa 2003-04 (i.e. emo-era). It was all 'moody against a wall in the ghetto-ist part of town'. Attempting to look hard/sad/serious with floppy fringes, girls jeans and studded belts. LOL.

Incidentally when MMW did our first proper tour with Cry For Silence and Aconite Thrill in 2005, one of the roadies for CFS was Laurent Barnard AKA 'Lags'. He he'd just formed Gallows, but they were still basically a little local band. One year later they were absolutely massive and on the covers of everything from Kerrang to GQ! Three years later and we were in the up-and-coming section of total guitar :laughing:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Post the photo and let the forum decide whether it's comedy

300x300.jpg

It wasn't quite this photo, but taken at the same time... from memory it looked kinda like this but taken from a higher angle, I recall, and probably without a filter. (I found it on our myspace page which apparently still exists hahaha)

17 hours ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

I imagine it looks a little bit like one of those fake defensive walls that footballers use to practice free kicks. But blacker.

100% accurate.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

Only the one pair of camo shorts in a metal promo shot?

Posers.

If it helps I'm wearing camo shorts to work today and have done for about 4 months solid now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dan G said:

Incidentally when MMW did our first proper tour with Cry For Silence and Aconite Thrill in 2005, one of the roadies for CFS was Laurent Barnard AKA 'Lags'. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×