aberdeen-music

How can we ALL get a decent music scene happening in Aberdeen..??

Lordie

16 hours ago, Mac Atom said:

Weird, immediately after listening to this Repugnant tune I stuck on Entombed too... so good!

What did you listen to?

I put on a bit of Clandestine and Wolverine Blues. WB and 'To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth' were always my favourite albums by them - but coincidentally I listened to TRSSASTT a couple of weeks ago.

16 hours ago, Teabags said:

Can't say I joined the party, I stuck on Celtic Frost after them.

What ever happened to Celtic Frost?
Is it true that they got lost
in the pandemonium
Never to be seen again
Tom Warrior fell from a tree in cherry orchard
Martin Ain drowned in a cold lake
Reed St. Mark went to Mega Therion
and remains there 'till this day

49 minutes ago, Dan G said:

What did you listen to?

I put on a bit of Clandestine and Wolverine Blues. WB and 'To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak The Truth' were always my favourite albums by them - but coincidentally I listened to TRSSASTT a couple of weeks ago.

It was Morning Star for me. 

I guess this was around the time when I saw them play together but I always associate Morning Star with 'God Hates Us All' era Slayer.  I almost think of WB, Clandestine etc as being a different band cos the style/production is pretty different.  

Edited by Mac Atom

56 minutes ago, Dan G said:

What ever happened to Celtic Frost?
Is it true that they got lost
in the pandemonium
Never to be seen again
Tom Warrior fell from a tree in cherry orchard
Martin Ain drowned in a cold lake
Reed St. Mark went to Mega Therion
and remains there 'till this day

LOL.

Someone pointed out that the first line of Into the Crypts of Rays sounds like "you'll teach me how to mosh" and now I can't unhear it.

11 minutes ago, Mac Atom said:

It was Morning Star for me. 

I guess this was around the time when I saw them play together but I always associate Morning Star with 'God Hates Us All' era Slayer.  I almost think of WB, Clandestine etc as being a different band cos the style/production is pretty different.  

Totally - that early Entombed sound was pure Sunlight Studios/Boss HM-2 pedal - so recognisable!

4 minutes ago, Teabags said:

LOL.

Someone pointed out that the first line of Into the Crypts of Rays sounds like "you'll teach me how to mosh" and now I can't unhear it.

I can't take credit for the lyrics sadly - they were from Stormtrooper of Death's 'Celtic Frosted Flakes'. And yeah, that sounds remarkably like 'you'll teach me how to mosh'.

For whatever reason I never got into Celtic Frost - not due to disliking the band, as I always liked Obituary & Sepultura's covers of Circle of the Tyrants & Procreation of the Wicked respectively. It's probably because CF weren't particularly active when I started getting into Death/extreme metal, and in the mid 90s you only really had magazines/MTV/a cousin from London sending you mix-tapes to get you into stuff. Maybe Cold Lake was still fresh in the minds of the metal press and as a result they were something of a joke... 

Come to think of it, I remember hearing Tom G's Appolyon Sun project on a 1997 Metal Hammer CD that coincidentally had Entombed's 'Lights Out' on it - and (what with not being that into the likes of Ministry and NIN) I thought it was a load of poo. I guess that put me off the idea of going back to Celtic Frost.

1 minute ago, AVB said:

to be fair, Dogs dont tell us to do the dishes. 

And neither should our wives. Jesus wept, what next... Police telling us to catch criminals? Toasters telling us to cook our own bread?

It's political correctness gone mad.

• Like 1

Since moving to Dublin 7 years ago I've had exactly one band on the go, it was just me and one other guy, he played the guitar, but he only had one arm and one little stump and no-one had ever had the heart to tell him he was a terrible musician (not because of the arm, he just had no talent). That's what happens when you move to another city. I say stay in Aberdeen. 

I moved to Somerset and also just had one band. We had 3 bass players quit in the space of about 2 months, one just completely disappeared. Deleted Facebook, never to be heard from again. He reminded me of Taco from The League. Aloof, but, too aloof. He's probably somewhere hugging a toilet seat right now.

Bands are stupid, and way too much hard work to get 3/4/5 humans in a room together all at the same time, and to continue doing that until you are un-shit enough to play a gig. Also, maintaining interest in playing the same songs repeatedly is tough. By the time you're anywhere near gig-ready, you're sick of them and playing them is joyless.

Bands are dumb.

55 minutes ago, Soda Jerk said:

I moved to Somerset and also just had one band. We had 3 bass players quit in the space of about 2 months, one just completely disappeared. 

This is definitely a case of too many cooks spoiling the broth. 3 bass players is far too many, and they probably just got annoyed at getting in each others way.

I personally find the optimum number of bass players is 1, or sometimes even 0 if you either a) have a keyboardist with a good left hand, or b) are in a Pig Destroyer tribute act.

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2018 at 8:32 PM, scottyboy said:

TBF: There's a "top 5" thread somewhere in general discussion which sooner rather than later turned into comedy and there's a "top 5 am-mus posters" which largely ended the thing, on a piss-take, AFAIK. I was thinking, nevertheless, that I'd stick Dan G (or... Dan Weapon? Was it also once Dan Atom, or am I thinking of someone greater :P ? ) for coming back after years and years and getting some good discussion going. Definitely GBOL (you miss that one? Site has not been *completely* dead. Please. Taking and turning something - and in this case a 2nd hand meme - into a years' long running joke is still alive and healthy on this site, if nothing else). And this Dan guy isn't even posting from Poland, claims he's still actually IN Aberdeen (you can probably get that one... but not the extent to which we've been milking it and in practice turning into a site rule).

More seriously: the MMW-related input in this thread was really interesting and enlightening, definitely vis-a-vis the OP's question (from someone who was always just trying to get into a band, any band, as a guitarist; without ever getting to worrying about this shite; and as someone who was impressed by MMW but noticed that it was always an inch short of - here we go! - "making it", only to have a line-up change). The stuff in this thread, though, makes a lot of sense for anyone not just wondering in hindsight about XYZ back in the day, but also for a band or promoter (like the OP who may be taking notes but hasn't replied) who's in a similar position and might have gotten a rude but possibly career-making proverbial bucket of cold water.

Also FWIW: The singles MMW put out I found very impressive. The videos... I think you said something like "this is, as I understand it, the director's literal understanding of the symbolic lyrics", to put it politely... But then who now gives a fuck about music videos. Not even MTV. If you're a K-Pop band trying to sell in SE Asia, yes, need an MV; but also need to be a literally plastic - or silicon, minimum - bunch of ladies. Not applicable in all boxes. Confusion over the repeatedly screamed lyric  "discourse" and, uh, "Tesco's" is something that sticks in the mind and as being VERY CONSTRUCTIVELY critiqued and may or may not be in a bunch of other nostalgia threads...

...But, I genuinely did not get why a guitarist (and "touring" was definitely mentioned in the press release, if we could call it that) would leave just when the  band was seemingly bigger than ever. Nor why the singer might (less sure about this one). I knew neither the singer (a Ben?) personally, nor did I get into any arguments with (Mmm... Bladeola? Something?) his online persona. Those threads with him and either Jake or Scourge (neither of whom are around any more on here, also) are lionised on here (I think you noticed. If not indulge in more nostalgia and search more) as best-threads-ever and long-gone BANTER LADS but honesty, as a newcomer at the time, I thought them toe-curling. Especially when it got to "you don't say shit when we're going in and out of Tom's to practice!?!11" territory. But anyway.

Where was I going with this... the common denominator with people talking about MMW (not in this or any similar thread; the feedback threads at the time) was that no one liked the vocals (yes, got it, that's why I made a whole point about not having anything against the singer personally... because it seemed a lot of people did). Now that I am reasonably into djent and  prog metal, I run into god knows how many youtube comments that say stuff like "thank god, no vocals" or, conversely, "instrumental plz". Monuments would be an exemplar: gone through multiple vocalists (sometimes 2 at a time) with people still begging them to do instrumentals (and it seems, in this odd but outstanding case of a band, that the auteur of the band genuinely could not do anything great with a lead guitar driven track or album; genuine rhythm guitar virtuoso. I actually ran into the guy coming out of a guitar shop in London; he was texting on his phone the whole way up to Tottenham Road, I think it was, then went the other way. Didn't want to bother him, not my style. Almost posted it in the "lame celebrity meetings" thread, but didn't. Walking obliviously past Bill Nye was another London one. The thread about lamest celebrity meetings. You in there? The nostalgia man!). Someone called (on here) Keeno (I think; anyway he was in my top 5!) turned me onto them... I *think* I remember you mocking him for getting an 8-string and saying he should have got a 7-string and rigged it to play Meshuggah because it was entirely feasible. I think my last memory of you on here is saying that you totally got the hype about Meshuggah despite thinking that the guitar parts sounded easy enough if you've heard them; but there more so the respect for the drummer and the composition in the first place. To which I thought "yas! I'm not crazy". Are you aware that Soda Jerk said their songs sound like a million intros stuck together (I'm paraphrasing)? I'd find the quote but you're more of the nostalgic bent.

Anyway: you're not talking horseshit, running your mouth and pointlessly talking back-in-the-day (conversely: clearly, what I've written above is a masterpiece that field). I didn't really get why MMW, while touring and putting out music/videos on serious, if not "major", pro labels, did not move to actually doing its thing full-time. And that every new high seemed to bring about a line-up change. The singer I could understand (critically; not anything to do with who, how, whatever he was trolling on here  or anywhere else, or whatever), but he was defended through all of that (musical criticism; nothing else), AFAIK.  So that's all legit great info. Not to torture you, but one wonders what might've been if MMW had moved to Glasgow or Brighton; even if the members all got day jobs in Glasgow or within an hour (say) of each other in England. Might've been Aberdeen metal's X-Certs. On the other hand: as the internet gained speed, would've faced (in lined with increased youtube views or bandcamp downloads) yet far further increased requests to fire your singer; and scarily good, globalised competition (to the point where I wonder if admiring MMW's music and chops is unrealistically nostalgic; haven't done so in posting this). And the site really didn't fall off a cliff, there's been good stuff while it declined over a decade or so.

Completely unrelated - but someone gave me a huge stack of guitar mags, i was going through them looking for riffs/chord progressions to steal and MMW was on an "up and coming bands" type page along with a comedy photo. If any of MMW want it I can make that shit happen..

On 8/6/2018 at 2:50 PM, colb said:

MMW was on an "up and coming bands" type page along with a comedy photo. 

It's reassuring to see that ten years later people can't mention MMW on this forum without including a dig in there somewhere.

I owned and binned that copy of Total Guitar many years ago, but thanks for the offer anyway.

Total Guitar!? (OK, it's the poppier, easiest - for instruction purposes - end of guitar mags; although I'd say that's more impressive, given the genre, than ending up in Guitar Techniques brief, tiny flirtation with anything but tuition), but still. I recall there being various incarnations of up-and-comerspieces, most/all of which (bands) got nowhere big AKAIK.... but still if I got in there I wouldn't have chucked it, no.  I think Sikth got mentioned multiple times (readers writing in raving about them; non-plussing the staff) without ever getting a photo, let alone a tab.

17 hours ago, Dan G said:

It's reassuring to see that ten years later people can't mention MMW on this forum without including a dig in there somewhere.

I owned and binned that copy of Total Guitar many years ago, but thanks for the offer anyway.

How was that a dig? The page might actually have been called up and coming, and all band photos from 10+ years ago are comedy. 

Relax your balls and don't be silly, i'd never heard of your old band until this thread started.

Edited by colb