aberdeen-music

Worst gig you ever played.

Lemonade

On 6/7/2018 at 2:38 PM, Moose said:

Oh, hi. 

With Carson Wells, supporting Rod Jones from Idlewild's band The Birthday Suit at The Woodend Barn in Banchory. 

Beautiful venue but a bit bleak when 6 people show up (two of which were my Mum and Dad, on one of the only times they saw us). Sound was gash. The house bass amp that Huw was, for some reason, asked to use, kept cutting out, so he kept turning round to it mid-song. Given he was our lead singer at the time, all those 6 lucky individuals really witnessed was scratchy guitar and booming drums (due to the large, empty venue). This was also from our earlier years where our music was pretty rubbish/horrible anyway. It was just a noisy, hot mess that we've since agreed never to talk about that. 

And I said 'thanks to Rod Gilbert' whose someone else entirely. 

I was there!

• 2 months later...

My Minds Weapon EP launch in 2004 to a packed out Moshulu. I flew home from France to Glasgow, took the bus into town skelped two pints at the Vale, grabbed a 12-pack of Tennents and jumped on the train with my flatmates. All the beers went, as well as most of the litre of Jim Beam I had bought in duty free. Got to Aberdeen, went to Moshulu, tipped my luggage all over the floor repeatedly, had to have my bass tuned for me, made a right cunt of myself on stage, was also meant to me MCing that gig, then threw my bass on the floor and walked off about three songs in. Absolute shambles of a night and one of the biggest crowds we encountered were there to see it. We played the thick end of a hundred gigs with FeSTR and 90% of people who remember us only remember that one.

On 9/10/2018 at 4:55 PM, Spoonie said:

My Minds Weapon EP launch in 2004 to a packed out Moshulu. I flew home from France to Glasgow, took the bus into town skelped two pints at the Vale, grabbed a 12-pack of Tennents and jumped on the train with my flatmates. All the beers went, as well as most of the litre of Jim Beam I had bought in duty free. Got to Aberdeen, went to Moshulu, tipped my luggage all over the floor repeatedly, had to have my bass tuned for me, made a right cunt of myself on stage, was also meant to me MCing that gig, then threw my bass on the floor and walked off about three songs in. Absolute shambles of a night and one of the biggest crowds we encountered were there to see it. We played the thick end of a hundred gigs with FeSTR and 90% of people who remember us only remember that one.

I did an almost identical thing with Dos Dedos. We had a gig at Kef, we went to soundcheck then we had a few hours to kill before we were due onstage, me and Marcus went back to my flat under strict instruction from Chris not to get drunk, and proceeded to get absolutely cunted on vodka and Irn Bru (the last time I ever drank vodka and Irn Bru by the way :puke:). We rolled up to Kef late as fuck, steaming, Chris understandably was freaking out and furious. We walked in the door straight on to the stage. Predictably the gig was an absolute shambles, nobody was paying any attention and I took great offence, called the audience cunts, launched my bass off the stage at the end and quit the band there and then. Rock n roll! What a fanny. Broke my bass too. 

6 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

I spent a night drinking that crap in Cheers in the Broch when I was about 16 (1996) while also smoking Hamlets. Puked all over my shoes at the end of the night, ruined a lovely pair of suede moccasins. Bad news. 

974-2012729552_468x382.jpg

ha ha they musta only made it for a year coz it made everyone puke, was the 1st time i'd seen orange spew 

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the Broch. Told (bitched about) this story on here before I'm sure, but: when I was a student a couple of police detectives (so no uniforms; my massive flatmate, who was playing playstation in the wee hours like a regular student, damn near attacked them) climbed through our window in the middle of the night (they rang the bell, but no sane person answers a doorbell in student accommodation in the dead of night).

I was woken up by the whole thing, and the guy they were looking for shared a first name with me (and the first name was all I got). After several minutes of very confusing (to me) questions about abandoned cars and gods know what else, and them getting "uh, no" from me, they double checked the full name. Which wasn't me. (they then angrily told me to "wake up"; I replied "I just did", at a ludicrous time of their choosing).

Anyway, the /coolstory is that the guy they were looking for (who previously lived there) was from the Broch. So I for one hold the place in high esteem.

2 hours ago, scottyboy said:

Ah, the Broch. Told (bitched about) this story on here before I'm sure, but: when I was a student a couple of police detectives (so no uniforms; my massive flatmate, who was playing playstation in the wee hours like a regular student, damn near attacked them) climbed through our window in the middle of the night (they rang the bell, but no sane person answers a doorbell in student accommodation in the dead of night).

I was woken up by the whole thing, and the guy they were looking for shared a first name with me (and the first name was all I got). After several minutes of very confusing (to me) questions about abandoned cars and gods know what else, and them getting "uh, no" from me, they double checked the full name. Which wasn't me. (they then angrily told me to "wake up"; I replied "I just did", at a ludicrous time of their choosing).

Anyway, the /coolstory is that the guy they were looking for (who previously lived there) was from the Broch. So I for one hold the place in high esteem.

Was it Thomas Blake Glover? He was from Fraserburgh too.

I'm as guilty as anyone of giving the Broch a hard time but it honestly was a brilliant place to grow up. It just makes me sad to see the state its in now. Rows and rows of boarded up shops, deserted town centre, maybe 2 good pubs (and that's being generous since one of them is a Wetherspoons), 0 good restaurants, the beach, arguably the Broch best asset, totally empty with nothing but one shit cafe on the promenade. But how do you fix it? There's nothing there, but any time anyone opens something new it just goes out of business again. It gets almost no visitors; because of its location right on the North East tip it isn't really on the road to anywhere or between any two places. Anyone going north can just go from Aberdeen toward Inverness and miss the Broch by about 60 miles. The only reason anyone would be heading for the Broch is if they're actually going to the Broch, and why would anyone be going to the Broch? There's fuck all there. It's a shame it's so cut off because it's actually quite an attractive town, it's just fucking dead now. 

Fraserburgh is every small town in every Springsteen song. Your options are either get out while you're young or work in a factory forever. Tramps like us, Broonbreed we were born to run. 

My only ever visit to Fraserburgh was a football away trip where it pissed with rain for 90 minutes (no cover), lost in injury time and froze to death waiting to get home. Apart from Govan or Grangetown I've never seen a more depressing place. (EDIT: Greenock, maybe. Shivers.)

Worst gig I have a (almost) waking memory of was the big Ascension/MMW/etc Tunnels thing that Baldy put on. Didn't really want in on it so anaesthetised myself by drinking Guinness. No idea exactly how many pints, but at least 7/8.  So goggle-eyed by stage time (not headlining, but playing last) I was seeing two kits in front of me and couldn't hit either of the fuckers properly. One of those ugly situations where it almost stayed on the rails, but was still well off what it should have been. Should've just flung the kit across the room that night, really..... 

Edited by Scorge

1 hour ago, Scorge said:

My only ever visit to Fraserburgh was a football away trip where it pissed with rain for 90 minutes (no cover), lost in injury time and froze to death waiting to get home. Apart from Govan or Grangetown I've never seen a more depressing place. (EDIT: Greenock, maybe. Shivers.)

Don't blame the Broch for bad weather and your team losing!

The Broch started going downhill when Jim's Plaice became Zanre's.