aberdeen-music

Debutant Tracks

Eupraxia

I liked the first one. I have a thing for unconventional but repetitive drum tracks that kinda burrow into you (dunno how to explain it properly. Not necessarily odd time signatures or intricate drum patterns, just stuff you don't hear everyday like 'bass drum, snare, snare, snare'). Whatever is going on with the guitar is a lovely sound too.

• Upvote 1

I prefer ...Tesla out of the two but they’re both cool in totally different ways!

The guitar on Tesla is awesome, totally dripping with reverb and builds and falls nicely with the rest of the track. The bass has a touch too much distortion for my tastes in a track like this but it still works well. 

I agree with Joe’s assessment of Thanatopsis re: the Jesu vibe, but would also add a dash of Smashing Pumpkins at their most orchestral and a wee dollop of MBV to the mix. Vocals sit well and pull the track together.

The one thing I’m less keen on is the drum sound. It does work a bit in Tesla but I think it’s too sparse to have that small an amount of resonance on the kick and have it so high in the mix. I think as it’s a bit busier in Thanatopsis it works a little better but is still a bit disinvolved with the track as a whole as well. Please don’t take that as being overly negative though as it’s just my personal tastes and opinion when it comes to drums and if you like it that’s the most important thing. Certainly wouldn’t stop me from listening to it!

Glad you’re still playing/recording music :)

• Upvote 1

Quick once over: Tesla (best not disappoint the name...) is basically pretty great but totally repetitive and undeveloped. It’s a great couple of bars repeated over 4m, except for the ride or open or twatted hi-hat (whichever it is, not a drummer). 2m in at most, I was rocking out in my head with the fat riffs I was e xpecting... uh, cause it reminds me of some great post-rock I love, but needs a 3rd, 4th section at the same pace before im really in.

2nd track had a more complete feel, definitely in terms of structure (though bit-by-bit Tesla has the best riff). Agnostic on the vocals, and they feel overwhelming sơmtimes... might grow on me, probably not). If it’s just for demo purposes, maybe doe sn’t matter much.

Tesla starts out as something that I might really listen to, if I found it on youtube or whatever, but do sesn’t go anywhere; 2nd is pleasant as it is, but not enough to come bạck.

The weird spaces and other errors are câuse this polish keyboard is a pain in the đít...

• Upvote 1