aberdeen-music

Ab-mus memories

ca_gere

A memory that comes to mind was getting basically flamed out of existence because of an ill-timed joke. Then getting a warning point 'cause y'all couldn't understand the difference between the subject and target of a joke, meanwhile rampant sexism/homophobia/racism/toryism was all over the place. lol.

good ol' days.

1 hour ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

A memory that comes to mind was getting basically flamed out of existence because of an ill-timed joke. Then getting a warning point 'cause y'all couldn't understand the difference between the subject and target of a joke, meanwhile rampant sexism/homophobia/racism/toryism was all over the place. lol.

good ol' days.

ha! I love this, and it's so true that people can't understand the difference between subject and target. Ricky Gervais actually addressed this in his latest stand-up when he was taken to task over a rape joke. He demonstrated how the subject isn't the target with the following:
A woman walks into a police station, goes up to a policeman and says "help, help, I've just been graped!".
"Don't you mean 'raped'?" the policeman asks.
"No" she replied "there was a bunch of them"

I had a similar experience on a different forum. Years ago I used to be an avid poster on COYS (Tottenham supporters) forum. There was an incident regarding the former Chelsea physio who was an attractive lady, and I made some smutty, double entendre style comment. Whilst at worst my comment could have been seen as childish, it couldn't have been construed as sexist given there was no prejudice involved, and any objectification of women was only implied rather than literally stated. Furthermore the whole point of it was to ironically take-the-piss out of the neanderthal "lads, lads" football culture. Anyway, I got threatened with a site ban from some humourless mod with the phrase "there is no place for sexism on COYS".

I pointed out that whilst my comment was; a) no sexist and b) meant sarcastically, there indeed WAS a place for sexism on COYS, given they had an entire sub-forum dedicated to pictures of semi-naked celebrity women, followed by streams of comments along the lines of "I'd love to destroy her farter".

3 hours ago, Dan G said:

ha! I love this, and it's so true that people can't understand the difference between subject and target. Ricky Gervais actually addressed this in his latest stand-up when he was taken to task over a rape joke. He demonstrated how the subject isn't the target with the following:
A woman walks into a police station, goes up to a policeman and says "help, help, I've just been graped!".
"Don't you mean 'raped'?" the policeman asks.
"No" she replied "there was a bunch of them"

I had a similar experience on a different forum. Years ago I used to be an avid poster on COYS (Tottenham supporters) forum. There was an incident regarding the former Chelsea physio who was an attractive lady, and I made some smutty, double entendre style comment. Whilst at worst my comment could have been seen as childish, it couldn't have been construed as sexist given there was no prejudice involved, and any objectification of women was only implied rather than literally stated. Furthermore the whole point of it was to ironically take-the-piss out of the neanderthal "lads, lads" football culture. Anyway, I got threatened with a site ban from some humourless mod with the phrase "there is no place for sexism on COYS".

I pointed out that whilst my comment was; a) no sexist and b) meant sarcastically, there indeed WAS a place for sexism on COYS, given they had an entire sub-forum dedicated to pictures of semi-naked celebrity women, followed by streams of comments along the lines of "I'd love to destroy her farter".

There's a thread on Pie & Bovril called "Smash or Pass" where users post a picture of a female celebrity and people respond positively that they would "smash" her or that they wouldn't. Some other delightful threads on there include "P&B Tidiest Bits o’ Gear awards 2018" and "Less Commercial Or Conventional Birds You Would Like To Pummel". I admit to having posted in the last one. 

On 5/17/2018 at 6:44 PM, Lemonade said:

There's a thread on Pie & Bovril called "Smash or Pass" where users post a picture of a female celebrity and people respond positively that they would "smash" her or that they wouldn't. Some other delightful threads on there include "P&B Tidiest Bits o’ Gear awards 2018" and "Less Commercial Or Conventional Birds You Would Like To Pummel". I admit to having posted in the last one. 

I'm now interested in who your recommendations are for the latter category? 
(off the top of my head, I'd put in a vote for Gina Linetti from Brooklyn 99...) 

25 minutes ago, Dan G said:

I'm now interested in who your recommendations are for the latter category? 
(off the top of my head, I'd put in a vote for Gina Linetti from Brooklyn 99...) 

It was Kat Von D, Sarah Silverman and the racing driver Susie Wolff. I did not use the words bird, pummel, smash, pump, LADS or back-door. Less conventionally attractive women you find attractive, that's more my style. 

• 2 months later...

Bet you guys never thought you would see me again. (Or wished. either way.)

No one was called "Hedges" which was unfortunate at best.

I'm the only member who still pursues music (As far as I know, maybe Stefan & Benson are still about).

to put things straight for all the members who thought the thread was cruel, Don't, It gave me the kick up the ass I needed. For all of you who found and still find it funny, go ahead, Everyone is stupid when they are 15. (Fuck I chuckle at the myspace & thread every now and then). I will say I was genuinely that stupid as to not understand the sarcasm that was blatantly happening in that thread.

Anyway I just popped in to say I hope you're all doing well for yourselves and thank you. I probably wouldn't work as hard as I do now if it weren't for you lot taking the piss.

~Have fun, Steve.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

9 hours ago, SooperKeef said:

I'm the only member who still pursues music (As far as I know, maybe Stefan & Benson are still about).

to put things straight for all the members who thought the thread was cruel, Don't, It gave me the kick up the ass I needed. For all of you who found and still find it funny, go ahead, Everyone is stupid when they are 15. (Fuck I chuckle at the myspace & thread every now and then). I will say I was genuinely that stupid as to not understand the sarcasm that was blatantly happening in that thread.

Anyway I just popped in to say I hope you're all doing well for yourselves and thank you. I probably wouldn't work as hard as I do now if it weren't for you lot taking the piss.

~Have fun, Steve.

Ace response. Glad to hear you’re still playing.

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2018 at 4:13 AM, SooperKeef said:

~Have fun, Steve.

Glad to hear you're doing well :up:

I continue to the capacity that I am in a band in Glasgow, we currently gig all over the UK, I have been working on my own stuff and getting noticed etc.

Been getting shares on bigger pages on Facebook, getting a network around the entire of the UK and Abroad, while putting every spare hour of my time into Guitar & Piano.

I was trying to find Bensons Hip Hop /Rap song for you guys to have a listen, It had a vevo and everything. But I couldn't find it.

Also I would post What I'm doing to the site, but unfortunately I don't think you guys would appreciate it. Also It's not Aberdeen based, so aye.

Yeah, I think it was about Bitches and Money or some shit. Bensons a sound guy like, But fuck that had Deyzer and I in stitches.

Also If you're interested you can find the band @ https://www.facebook.com/splinteredhalo/ (I only joined January last year, there are videos on youtube of live gigs etc. the album was recorded before I joined)

For my progress you can see my stupid face on Instagram @ https://www.instagram.com/testsubjectqwtd/

• 4 weeks later...

Have enjoyed this thread! My time involved in the scene was 2000-06 probably, but especially the first couple of years of that spell when I still lived in Laurencekirk and the next two when I was in Glasgow for Uni.

Playing and attending gigs in Aberdeen was a huge part of my formative years and I thought nothing of going up to watch a midweek gig in Aberdeen in my school days, catching up with a room full of people who all loved the same things, getting tanked up and going back to school the next day. The variety was massive as well; we played gigs with a load of bands who were totally different to us (from the many pop punk bands to some heavy bands like Bodies, Risactonia and of course Black Atom who we shared many stages with). There was an awesome cameraderie in that era. Bands helped each other out, stepped in to support irrespective of genre or perceived level of popularity and just generally enjoyed each other’s company. I dearly dearly miss those times.

A lot of the things I went on to do (stand up comedy, after dinner speaking, MCing etc) were natural follow-ons from being in sage with FeSTR and while I never had another band where I captured the same feelings of togetherness and shared purpose, playing music continued to be a big part of my life for around ten years. 

Getting back into jamming with the boys Orr the last nine months has been a great catalyst to reminisce on this era and it’s been lovely. This website was massive for me too. It was a source of entertainment, friendship and handy for finding out in one place what was going on. My involvement in the scene pre-dates it too. I can’t explain the excitement of logging on via dialup and going to the Fudge and AUBL bravenet  message boards (each board had the same url but with a long number at the end differentiating it and I knew these off by heart because I was on so often) to see what gigs were coming up and what people were saying about the gigs we’d played.

Some of the banter on here was huge as well. The Thong Song had me in tears on the bus, the ‘not headlining, just playing last’ nonsense, the main present debacle (still being justified a decade in!) the Big Bastard posts, Ben winding everyone up. Jamesy vs Scorge. Some stuff that’s got me laughing even typing it! The Stripey era was a funny one because it let me really refine my trolling of him from a formerly impassioned place to a much more distant poking, and while he brought a different musical perspective, the fact is he was just a cock. 

The laughs, the friendship and the memories all add up to a lot. Thanks to everyone who kept this place alive and made it possible for all these years!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

That I turn reminded me of this gem when an unscrupulous bar owner in Aberdeen claimed he'd booked Shane McGowan to play in what is now Six Degrees North. If I remember the story correctly the bar was going under, he made the whole thing up to fill the bar for one night then legged it with the takings. 

It was actually the bar further down the hill from Six Degrees North, i once got £50 for playing there for less than an hour coz it turned out they only wanted rock music