aberdeen-music

Ab-mus memories

ca_gere

(I probably once did, but now) I don't use that as a barometer (was going to type "measure", but a shot of whisky flashed into my head, olol) any longer. For one the beer here is the cheapest in the world, last time I checked; secondly in Malaysia (say) the price of booze is well out of whack with the (much cheaper) cost of other things, consequent on Islamic mores. It's like the Economists' notorious Big Mac Index: Angola or somewhere tops the list despite its destitution, because only expenses-paid foreign oil workers want a Big Mac there...

Still, I did a quick check and a Coke sized can of Tiger (don't really do pints here) from a convenience shop costs 88p. A few years ago I and some friends bought 5 litres of booze for less than two quid (I could go back through my FB posts to find the exact number, but another time).. We got it from a pub; it was home brewed on the premises, and they poured it into a 5 litre (empty!) mineral water bottle for us. It was great. Moonshine my tits. One of the guys I was carousing with was just starting his (now successful) craft brewing company; if my mate is a "brewer of craft beer" so too, then, were these guys.

./cool story.

• Upvote 1

Memories: Ab-Music football meet ups. 

Personal highlights :

When I invited my friend Gary and he kicked everyone off the park for two hours then attempted to do doughnuts in the car park at the end and didn't manage. 

Someone's friend Guy who was an absolute knob and took it way too seriously. I almost left the ASV match because he spent the whole match giving me abuse. I was on his team as well. I seem to recall someone absolutely halving him at the end, possibly Nef C. Brilliant stuff. 

I had another run-in with him at Goals. I managed to pull my groin when we were warming up, but instead of going home I decided to try and play anyway. I couldn't run, I could only limp awkwardly, and my right leg was completely out of commission so I could only kick with my left foot. I'm absolutely useless at football when I have two feet so imagine me forced to use my left. Because I was so immobile all I did was stand on the left wing, then play a shit misplaced pass with my left foot when I got the ball. Absolutely 0 danger whatsoever. Did that stop Guy going through the back of me and leaving me crumpled on the ground? Did it fuck. 

Fuck that dude. 

This morning I was pining for the days of discussion forums and lamenting their demise at the hands of facebook groups and status updates and tweets, as discussed earlier in the thread. The politics discussions could sometimes get circular and/or nasty (and/or Dave...), but at least there was space for a legit debate. I responded on FB to an ex-AGFW  posting a 9-ways-to-reduce plastic (reusable straws and cups and that), which is fine, but it was marked as things employers should be striving to do to save the planet. I gave him a 101 on all the other stuff that should be higher priority for company managers and why just telling people that buying a bamboo straw and a bag-for-life will save the ocean is possibly counterproductive ('cause it won't).

Now even that paragraph above, on a facebook page (sandwiched in by menus, "suggestions" and ads), and probably viewed on a phone, probably swallows a whole screen's worth. AGFW laughed it off as me "rambling" and I said fair enough, but, no, really it's "realistic". Nothing about environmental science, or probably anything else, is simple enough that you can converse about it via exchanging tweet-length comments and pictures. The really scary thing is I think I now see how Trump can conduct diplomacy, "debates" and formulate policy via twitter; no one can handle a paragraph or two any more.

(I also deleted FB as in the ace-ic thread a while back; I reactivated it 'cause I need a new job and you kinda need FB for that too now, it seems. "Deleted" is bs anyway, I just entered my login and back it came, along with all the notifications I would've got when my account was "deactivated"). If I ever get paid again, and the EU (oh. wait.) enacts yon law allowing people to have their data actually wiped, might go for that.

So yeah. When a forum was actually a forum and facebook was 3rd in line behind myspace and bebo....

On 26/04/2018 at 6:15 PM, Lemonade said:

Memories: Ab-Music football meet ups. 

Personal highlights :

When I invited my friend Gary and he kicked everyone off the park for two hours then attempted to do doughnuts in the car park at the end and didn't manage. 

Someone's friend Guy who was an absolute knob and took it way too seriously. I almost left the ASV match because he spent the whole match giving me abuse. I was on his team as well. I seem to recall someone absolutely halving him at the end, possibly Nef C. Brilliant stuff. 

I had another run-in with him at Goals. I managed to pull my groin when we were warming up, but instead of going home I decided to try and play anyway. I couldn't run, I could only limp awkwardly, and my right leg was completely out of commission so I could only kick with my left foot. I'm absolutely useless at football when I have two feet so imagine me forced to use my left. Because I was so immobile all I did was stand on the left wing, then play a shit misplaced pass with my left foot when I got the ball. Absolutely 0 danger whatsoever. Did that stop Guy going through the back of me and leaving me crumpled on the ground? Did it fuck. 

Fuck that dude. 

He ended up getting a job at the Council when I was there. In my department, literally sitting across from me. Turned out to be a rather nice lad. I even went to a few Aberdeen games with him.

I do remember him being distinctly unpopular on a football pitch though, he was either Cattermoling everyone in sight, or sulking because nobody was Cattermoling as hard as he was. Whilst he was working with me, he was talking about arranging an 11 vs 11 game, and he kept asking if I wanted to play. I kept having to make excuses, because I feared he might still be a total animal (I'm also really shit!). I'm sure he said @Woodsinho was gonna be playing in that game. Did it happen, and did he go through everyones shins?

• Like 1

Fucking Guy, no offence. I think he is a decent fella but he just couldn't get it into his head that some people were trying their best and were legitimately in good through no fault of their own. When Nef C went for him it was glorious and fully deserved. I did end up playing a lot of games with him over the years as I was inducted into murrrrr's football playing group which he was part of after our games here petered out. There was a one off 11-a-side game a couple of years back that I played in too. It was surprisingly good but there was no Cattermoling from our Guy, he never pulled that shit on anyone he considered to be competent.

Now the donuts in the carpark prick, he was a whole other level of shithead. I've honestly never been so close to starting a fight with anyone in my adult life as I was when he tried to break my leg. He'd have beaten me up, no doubt, but I was ready to try if Christy hadn't talked me down.

10 hours ago, Woodsinho said:

Fucking Guy, no offence. I think he is a decent fella but he just couldn't get it into his head that some people were trying their best and were legitimately in good through no fault of their own. When Nef C went for him it was glorious and fully deserved. I did end up playing a lot of games with him over the years as I was inducted into murrrrr's football playing group which he was part of after our games here petered out. There was a one off 11-a-side game a couple of years back that I played in too. It was surprisingly good but there was no Cattermoling from our Guy, he never pulled that shit on anyone he considered to be competent.

Now the donuts in the carpark prick, he was a whole other level of shithead. I've honestly never been so close to starting a fight with anyone in my adult life as I was when he tried to break my leg. He'd have beaten me up, no doubt, but I was ready to try if Christy hadn't talked me down.

You ever have a mate that you know is a prick, but you've known him your whole life so you're kind of stuck with him? That's Gary. He married a Chinese girl and moved to China a few years ago thankfully. Probably breaking legs over there. Flying the flag for shitheads internationally. 

2 hours ago, Lemonade said:

You ever have a mate that you know is a prick, but you've known him your whole life so you're kind of stuck with him? That's Gary. He married a Chinese girl and moved to China a few years ago thankfully. Probably breaking legs over there. Flying the flag for shitheads internationally. 

"Beggar's fucking psycho man. But he's a mate, so, you know, what can you do?"

2 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

That's a pretty bad rap sheet. I take it he's a Brocher.

Naturally. I'm sure you know him. 

2 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

'kin hell. One of those instances should have been enough to sever ties with him. All of those together, the rest of you should have clubbed together and made his disappear. It doesn't sound like the world would miss him.

I've had the same group of friends pretty much since I was a kid, we all grew up together and I've known him since primary school so it's not just as easy as saying fuck him and cutting him loose. It did all come to a head eventually though. I'm one of the only ones who still talks to him. A mate's a mate, ken? 

48 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

Naturally. I'm sure you know him. 

I've had the same group of friends pretty much since I was a kid, we all grew up together and I've known him since primary school so it's not just as easy as saying fuck him and cutting him loose. It did all come to a head eventually though. I'm one of the only ones who still talks to him. A mate's a mate, ken? 

True. My missus has a similar situation with a friend she's had since primary school, she was her chief bridesmaid and whatnot, bestest friends 4eva etc, but get a drop of alcohol in her, and she turns into an ultra-bitch. We're not even talking drunk, but a few sips of wine and she just starts to turn.

Not quite smashing up kebab shops, but really snide comments and insults, really horrible, over-the-line stuff, or if we're out in a big group, she'll be whispering and sniggering with someone next to her whilst looking directly at the person she's talking shit about, and then do a really obvious "oh no, he/she's looking, stop talking" reaction, to make it clear that it was about you. And as she gets drunker, the insults get nastier and louder. Every time we are out with her, even if it's just a meal, my missus usually gets home and is in tears, but feels tied to this person due to how far they go back.

But like your mate, when alcohol is out of the equation, so is the nastiness. She helped us with our move down here, gifted us some furniture when we had nothing, let us come and go to their house whilst we had no internet and needed to apply for jobs.

They had a massive barney at Christmas though, and instead of just going home in tears, my missus unleashed over 15 years of repressed fury. It was badass. They've not spoken since, but they'll probably reconcile in a few months.

I dunno though, if it was me and she tried to contact me again, I'd be telling her where to go. No time for that sort of toxicity in my life.

Edited by Soda Jerk

Couldn’t agree with Jake more.

did I just say that?!

I’ve ditched a few folk from my life for shitty views/behaviour. One guy I stopped speaking to because I found out he was deeply homophobic. Would casually drop into conversation how it was ‘just nae right’ and how mingin the thought of two guys being together was. 

My football team collectively ditched a trump supporter recently. Every time we’d get drinks after a game he’d manage to wind everyone up - the type of trump guy who thought it was all very funny and he’s ‘just speaking his mind’ - meanwhile there’s a guy at the table who’s family is being deported. Fuck that guy and fuck the twat he supports. Got him the fuck off the email thread.

I try to always call out shitty behaviour but it’s a dangerous game to play. I’ve picked up someone’s trash they dropped on the ground and handed it back to them a few times. It just winds me up so much and I get annoyed at myself if I don’t do anything.

On the train a while back some guy called another guy a ‘faggot’ and looked at me in a ‘right on brother’ type of way, as if I was gonna smile or something. I really wanted to say something but he was scary looking and I wussed out. It still bugs me that he just got away with it unchecked. 

/CSB 

• Upvote 1

Since so much of the stuff mentioned above involved nights out and alcohol, as well as Jekyll & Hyde personalities: not to defend them, but I'd hazard that these guys had genuine problems with alcohol, and maybe/probably mental illness (even if just depression). If they were turning up to day jobs and functioning as nice guys, obviously not full-on physiologically alcoholics (which is a difficult and lethal state to descend to, as far as I understand it). But if they were determinedly drinking more than everyone else on a night out (in Scotland, as a student - ? - quite a feat), who knows whether they weren't also getting quietly pissed at home every other night. Doing that will make a person ill and depressed, and then, alcohol being the pretty nasty drug that it really is, turning it up to 11 among other people... (although, yeah, I might have murdered someone over that underwear incident, whatever the circumstances and whoever it was).

I've never seen anything as extreme as that, but 2 of my uni flatmates had 2 friends who had a rep for being borderline alcoholics and violent while drunk. They seemed nondescript nice-but-dim types when I talked to them sober, and never saw them do anything nuts. But once I was at a birthday party for another of their friends - guy had booked *I think* Kef and being a muslim (straight outta Mogadishu!) along with half the guests, and thinking the other half sane people, had reluctantly paid for the minimum 1 bouncer. I didn't see it or anything leading up to it, but apparently one of these clowns clocked the bouncer; no second to step in, so the party was cancelled; guy was arrested, and it turned out for the third time, so last I heard of it prison was an option. /not-so-cool-story.

Since all these were so dark: the closest I have actually has its lighter side. One of my oldest childhood friends (who I also don't see directly any more) was also an ultra-macho, wannabe hardman type. He started drinking in his early teens and got in a bit of trouble over that; but when everyone went to elicit house parties at age 15-17 or whatever, he had the biggest bedroom and the most laissez-faire parents. And when we turned up there were also all these goth girls no one knew all kissing each other. Which wasn't so terrible. (To my knowledge he's never come out as anything but straight, but) he dated at least one of them; and there a few gay guys in tow, too. Apparently he kissed one of these guys in front of everyone while completely smashed; and the following Monday everyone had heard about if not seen it and re-evaluated their opinions on male homosexuality, even if merely for fear of being murdered. Since so many of the drunken arseholes mentioned above seem to be homophobes, I thought I 'd mention that; along with the fact that the most aggressive I saw him get, without attacking someone, was threateningly shouting down someone for "slagging homos".

He did end up getting reliably, recklessly hammered in our student years, though (though, he wasn't really a student; he had a full time job interspersed with vocational courses, amazingly enough). I'd only see him now and again when back home from Aberdeen: but I remember him so hammered, that in the midst of running into another long-lost primary school friend and her introducing her partner, in a club, he fell of a table. Which we thought hilarious. On another night, he was throwing me around in a bit-o-banter way, to the point where I wanted to either beat him up or just run and leave him there. The other guys wouldn't go along with that so we got into a taxi to get him and us home, going out of town (again not Aberdeen), through the most backwoods, unlit country route possible. By the the time it was me and him left in the taxi, the driver was visibly pissed and asking why the hell we'd taken that route (despite the hugely inflated fate it netted him); when we got to the motorway junction he ordered the driver to go back into town. I insisted I was cool and practically dived out a couple of miles from my house. Fuck that he's-a-mate-shit. At the last small house party I remember he managed to get into another friend over god knows what, and everyone got up one-by-one, made excuses (or told him bluntly he was out of order)  and left. Maybe that sobered him up a bit, metaphorically.

But: Begbie, Defender of the Homos, like I said. (Hopefully not giving him away here) I think these days he works around Aberdeenshire, and ditched the work he was doing great at to work in retail (and again seems to have done fine at that). Apparently to be able to work 9-5 but I suspect also so that he couldn't get away with drinking so much. /another cool story

19 hours ago, ca_gere said:

My football team collectively ditched a trump supporter recently. Every time we’d get drinks after a game he’d manage to wind everyone up - the type of trump guy who thought it was all very funny and he’s ‘just speaking his mind’ - meanwhile there’s a guy at the table who’s family is being deported. Fuck that guy and fuck the twat he supports. Got him the fuck off the email thread.

What does that have to do with Trump? Were they being deported from the US?

On the train a while back some guy called another guy a ‘faggot’ and looked at me in a ‘right on brother’ type of way, as if I was gonna smile or something. I really wanted to say something but he was scary looking and I wussed out. It still bugs me that he just got away with it unchecked. 

/CSB 

Was it because he was gay or just generally called him one?

EjvsS.jpg

Edited by The Kernel Loaf

22 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

I've counted 4 really bad ones that aren't just down to drunken dickishness.

With a rap sheet like that, it should be. Stop making excuses for someone who sexually assaults people, and is a racist homophobe.

You're absolutely right. I will say that we all called him out on it, individually and as a group, many, many times but yeah we let him get away with too much for too long. I don't know what he's like nowadays, I haven't had more than a couple of passing conversations with him over the last few years, but hopefully getting married and having kids has made him grow up a bit, have a bit of self-reflection and start taking responsibility for his actions.