aberdeen-music

Ab-mus memories

ca_gere

3 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Reading over some of those old threads is good fun and all but... I forgot how much casual homophobery and misogyny was tolerated back in the day. Lots of gay 'jokes'.

Just think how much was deleted too, especially when The Wasteland was binned. I remember plenty of misogynistic incidents that went on too, especially with certain 'musicians' taking advantage of Moshulu's rather...shall we say 'hands-off' approach to ID'ing people.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2018 at 5:11 PM, Lemonade said:

I found it! Classic stuff. Becomes an all out flame war on the first page. 

Personal highlights :

-------

"I also wrote a short story that features both bands:

You are a Tool.

The End" 

----------

Ah - the memories. I have to be honest I haven't posted on here in probably a good 8 years or so, but stumbled upon the site again by chance this morning and thought I'd have a quick browse. 

That Tool thread was gold. Phil's "wizened anal sage" and Maxi's "Do you still work in the cafe bit in Morrisons" comments always had me in tears. 

In retrospect I feel a little bit guilty, as I'm not entirely sure Rune was the full picnic - but either way...memories.

I remember having a good few flame wars on here over the years - usually initiated or provoked by Scorge/Jake, which was in turn often a result of Ben or Jamesy saying something that wound people up the wrong way.
The one time I really got done though was when Neil Ex trolled me/black atom royally in the Atom sub-forum. Hats off mate, couldn't see it at the time but he played me like a fiddle.

• Upvote 1

Man reading this has made me properly nostalgic. I think my early 20s, (i.e. 2002-2007) was the most enjoyable period of my life - mostly as a result of the aberdeen music scene and this site. Particular highlights were the 2 Balmedie wasteland BBQs  (well I went to 2, there may have been more), and the wasteland Paintballing day out organised by Jason. Love the fact that you could just turn up to any gig, or Moshulu on a friday on your own knowing full well you'd know everyone when you got there. Myspace somewhat ruined things, and started to make this place a little redundant, or at least less apperciated - because having random kids from USA like your band photo became more important than writing the best songs you could and playing Lava/Kef ("4 local bands... £8 please") 400 times until you were actually not a totally shit band anymore.

'Real' bands music was less pro-tooled* as well so everything sounded a bit more unique back then, with all its imperfections and individual production/performances. As much as I still absolutely love listening to, writing and playing music these days - it meant so much more back then, and you could attach it to real memories and experiences. I'm happy with how my life turned out, but even when a great new album comes out it's not the same when the event I attach it is driving to my work place of 11 years, doing the weekly shop, watching something on netflix, and then going to bed at a semi-reasonable hour. 

Memories.

* And I say this as a massive fan and avid (arf) user of pro tools for ten years now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Dan G said:

Man reading this has made me properly nostalgic. I think my early 20s, (i.e. 2002-2007) was the most enjoyable period of my life - mostly as a result of the aberdeen music scene and this site. Particular highlights were the 2 Balmedie wasteland BBQs  (well I went to 2, there may have been more), and the wasteland Paintballing day out organised by Jason. Love the fact that you could just turn up to any gig, or Moshulu on a friday on your own knowing full well you'd know everyone when you got there. Myspace somewhat ruined things, and started to make this place a little redundant, or at least less apperciated - because having random kids from USA like your band photo became more important than writing the best songs you could and playing Lava/Kef ("4 local bands... £8 please") 400 times until you were actually not a totally shit band anymore.

'Real' bands music was less pro-tooled* as well so everything sounded a bit more unique back then, with all its imperfections and individual production/performances. As much as I still absolutely love listening to, writing and playing music these days - it meant so much more back then, and you could attach it to real memories and experiences. I'm happy with how my life turned out, but even when a great new album comes out it's not the same when the event I attach it is driving to my work place of 11 years, doing the weekly shop, watching something on netflix, and then going to bed at a semi-reasonable hour. 

Memories.

* And I say this as a massive fan and avid (arf) user of pro tools for ten years now.

It's kind of a cliche that gets made fun of on here, but it really did feel like we were part of something special for a while. There were so many great bands on the go, and people were so passionately in to it, and everyone helped each other out, which was great. And because it was such a small tight-knit community, you kind of knew everybody. In like 2001, 2002 you could wander in to any gig in Drakes or Lava and know half the crowd and probably half the guys on the stage too. I remember going in to Moshulu every Friday and heading for our spot (everyone had their spot) and it would take half an hour to get to it because you had to stop and chat to everybody. I know I'm looking at it through rose coloured glasses, most of the bands were probably shit and most of the gigs were empty, but I maintain it was one of the best times of my life. I made friends for life, and met my wife. Joined a band with this nice gentleman (I can't delete the YouTube vids for some reason) and she was his girlfriend at the time, she used to come down to all our gigs and support us. Many years later he was the Maid of Honour (you're reading that right) at our wedding. 

On 3/23/2018 at 2:32 PM, The Kernel Loaf said:

Nostalgia fun pack

OykbI6R.jpg

37 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

It's kind of a cliche that gets made fun of on here, but it really did feel like we were part of something special for a while. There were so many great bands on the go, and people were so passionately in to it, and everyone helped each other out, which was great. And because it was such a small tight-knit community, you kind of knew everybody. In like 2001, 2002 you could wander in to any gig in Drakes or Lava and know half the crowd and probably half the guys on the stage too. I remember going in to Moshulu every Friday and heading for our spot (everyone had their spot) and it would take half an hour to get to it because you had to stop and chat to everybody. I know I'm looking at it through rose coloured glasses, most of the bands were probably shit and most of the gigs were empty, but I maintain it was one of the best times of my life. I made friends for life, and met my wife. Joined a band with this nice gentleman (I can't delete the YouTube vids for some reason) and she was his girlfriend at the time, she used to come down to all our gigs and support us. Many years later he was the Maid of Honour (you're reading that right) at our wedding. 

I'm similar - I've been married for over ten years and met my wife on here/through the music scene. 

I think you're right in that there is an element of rose-tinted glasses - but at the same time it definitely was a scene where all types of bands could share a bill and it would work. Despite the flamewars on here, there was a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst the scene and it was great knowing so many people.

Thinking about all this made me dig out our (MMW) first proper EP to listen to in the car this morning. Still remember having an amazing 4 or 5 days in the sunny summer of 2003 recording it with Niall at the Mill. (I only mention that as the whole reason I stumbled across ab-mus again was googling the Mill as it's near the crematorium in Crathes - which I sadly had to attend yesterday - and this site came up). 

Despite my inactivity for the best part of a decade it makes me truly sad that it isn't the place it once was. 

1 hour ago, Dan G said:

I'm similar - I've been married for over ten years and met my wife on here/through the music scene. 

I think you're right in that there is an element of rose-tinted glasses - but at the same time it definitely was a scene where all types of bands could share a bill and it would work. Despite the flamewars on here, there was a genuine sense of camaraderie amongst the scene and it was great knowing so many people.

Thinking about all this made me dig out our (MMW) first proper EP to listen to in the car this morning. Still remember having an amazing 4 or 5 days in the sunny summer of 2003 recording it with Niall at the Mill. (I only mention that as the whole reason I stumbled across ab-mus again was googling the Mill as it's near the crematorium in Crathes - which I sadly had to attend yesterday - and this site came up). 

Despite my inactivity for the best part of a decade it makes me truly sad that it isn't the place it once was. 

Forums are yesterday's news sadly, for the most part, although I'm still a member of a few that flourish. I guess Facebook groups replaced them but I don't find them nearly as engaging. Thousands and thousands of members so you never build any kinship, and no structure, organisation, no topics etc, just a thousand people arguing all at once. Maybe I'm just old but I prefer the old forums. 

No doubt social media played a huge part in the demise of Aberdeen music but I feel like there were a number of factors. Firstly people just grew up, all us passionate 20 year olds who used to post here are in our late thirties now, with families and careers and probably don't go to nearly as many local gigs, and don't have the time nor the inclination to argue with people about it on the Internet. For some reason as the older generation faded out we just never managed to attract the next generation. I think we lost a lot of users a few years ago at a time when, without mentioning any names, there were a lot of pretty annoying posters on the forum, who also tended to be the most active, and that didn't make using them a very fun experience, when all the threads were clogged up with crap. I take some of the blame myself too, when I first became staff I was an absolute tyrant and waded in and shut threads left and right  and that pissed a few people off and they stopped posting. 

Sorry for your loss by the way. 

(thanks :) It was a good friend of Mrs G who passed - didn't mean to derail this thread with that though, and I'm only really mentioning it as driving out that way via the Mill brought up all sorts of great memories and certainly made me think about all the good memories I have of life, given you never know when it might come to an end).

You're spot on regarding facebook groups as well - and it's not just ab-music that is in this situation. After this forum became a less significant part of my life I started posting in the Andy Sneap music production forum and a Tottenham one, both were insanely popular and a huge part of my life between 2008-2013 (ish), but both are currently dying a slow death. As much as I loved those sites, this place was different as you ultimately got to put a face to an avatar/handle and meet people in real life, so it was more than just an internet forum.

Also fully agree about the age thing. Everyone from that 2002-2008 halcyon era must now be in their 30s with families and full-time jobs, so playing in bands and attending gigs has become far less of a priority (apart from a very very select few like the X-certs who actually made it). I know I've not attended a 'local' bands gig in as many years as I can remember, and generally became less involved attending gigs and this place once my own and friends bands ultimately split up. 

I've been re-living the past slightly and trawled through a bunch of old threads (mostly MMW related ones, purely because that's what my memories are tied to).

Man, Ben (bladeola/highroller) was hilarious. It's a shame there wasn't much intentional irony or self-awareness in his posts, because they were utterly hysterical. He certainly knew how to rile everyone up, and equally his detractors knew how to push his buttons. 
What I would say is at least everyone was pretty passionate about what they were doing back then...sure it could quickly disintegrate to mud-slinging, but I think it mostly came from a place of defending something you'd worked hard at and genuinely believed in - even if it was case of the slightest insult shattering some clearly very fragile egos!

I'd post some highlights, but it's probably only really of interest to me.

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, Dan G said:

I remember having a good few flame wars on here over the years - usually initiated or provoked by Scorge/Jake, which was in turn often a result of Ben or Jamesy saying something that wound people up the wrong way.

:up: COOKIE MONSTER

I can't really bear to look at or dwell on my youthful-irritable-intransigent self for more than a few seconds, a lot of it feels too removed from current reality (also sold out, got a proper job, kicked booze, and have a wedding to plan. haven't touched a drum kit in seven years either). As said already, social media has laid this type of community largely to waste now, though I am sure those who did make meaningful connections will have kept them.

Edited by Scorge

On 4/20/2018 at 8:31 PM, Scorge said:

also sold out, got a proper job, kicked booze, and have a wedding to plan. haven't touched a drum kit in seven years either

Congratulations! (apart from the playing the drums bit. I say that as someone who wishes I picked up the guitar more often than I get time to)

Reading a lot of it back, there's a slight irony to the fact that amongst the drivel there was a decent amount of constructive debate - often simply as a result of people trying to steer the topic back on course. When a few of the more *ahem* 'passionate' characters got banned, and threads got closed it lead to less mudslinging but took a load of the good stuff with it.

It's also clear in hindsight that a lot of people simply cared about what they were doing and were defensive about it, albeit in childish ways. 

Ah well - all in the past now!

18 hours ago, The Ghost Of Fudge said:

the big bastard football manager thread was a winner.

as was the the craig-watch thread. sadly all the photos disappeared. there were some crackers.
if you remember craig, before his untimely death, take a look - 

Shit - Craig passed away? I don't think I knew that, but that's sad.

I'll share my 'textbook Craig' story...

Standing outside ToGo kebab shop after a night at Moshulu. Craig obviously steamboats, goes and order a doner kebab. Once it arrives he walks outside and immediately drops it on the pavement. Heaving a heavy, pissed sigh, he goes back in ToGo and repeats his order. Steps outside with doner #2 and repeats the same as before, kebab splattered all over the pavement.
At this point I see the cogs turning in his brain, and he's alternating his blurred gaze between the pavement and the kebab shop. He ultimately decides the best course of action - rather than to splash out on a third kebab and risk it happening again - is to scoop his dinner off the salubrious cobbles of windmill brae, piece it back together and shameless scoff it down.
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dan G said:
Shit - Craig passed away? I don't think I knew that, but that's sad.

I'll share my 'textbook Craig' story...

Standing outside ToGo kebab shop after a night at Moshulu. Craig obviously steamboats, goes and order a doner kebab. Once it arrives he walks outside and immediately drops it on the pavement. Heaving a heavy, pissed sigh, he goes back in ToGo and repeats his order. Steps outside with doner #2 and repeats the same as before, kebab splattered all over the pavement.
At this point I see the cogs turning in his brain, and he's alternating his blurred gaze between the pavement and the kebab shop. He ultimately decides the best course of action - rather than to splash out on a third kebab and risk it happening again - is to scoop his dinner off the salubrious cobbles of windmill brae, piece it back together and shameless scoff it down.

I did this exact thing except it was outside Sizzlers and it was a burger. I was absolutely hammered, sat on the windowsill, took a big bite and the burger and all the various other fillings slid out the other end. Scooped it off the pavement and back into the bun. Fit fine. 

I don't think Craig is dead by the way. Admittedly I don't talk to him very much but I think I would have heard. To my knowledge he's living in Sweden and has done for a few years. 

I love how the natural measurement of cost of living to Scottish people is the cost of a pint. Never fails.

"Went to Namibia on safari... saw lions and elephants... water buffalo quenching their thirst at an oasis as the sun caressed the horizon"

"good aye?"

"fucking magic... 50p a pint!!"

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, ca_gere said:

I love how the natural measurement of cost of living to Scottish people is the cost of a pint. Never fails.

"Went to Namibia on safari... saw lions and elephants... water buffalo quenching their thirst at an oasis as the sun caressed the horizon"

"good aye?"

"fucking magic... 50p a pint!!"

Down here in the south west, the biggest reason the locals don't ever want to go to London is because it's "bloody 6 quid for a pint!".

Stay in Bristol, where it's about £4.80 a pint instead. London's not getting my £1.20.

Edited by Soda Jerk