aberdeen-music

Ab-mus memories

ca_gere

It's funny how the classic ab-mus response to any criticism "Unlike you(s) who slag folk off on the internet, I have a life" has died out entirely because everyone is on the internet now slagging folk off. That equating of internet use to social skills has pretty much gone nowadays.

I didn't join until 2006 (I'm not an Aberdeen native; although the maternal side of my family is). I was never friends with any other forum members, but I sold CDs and pedals to, and jammed with, not a few members.

I  remember an instance where a band was looking for a replacement guitarist, and, while insisting it was an established and successful band (by Aberdeen standards - it may or may not have had a record deal at that point; in any case it gained one shortly after, if not prior to, the exchange), refused to give its name. I know this because I jammed with them for a bit (sadly, it came to nothing, otherwise it would doubtlessly have conquered the world with I playing lead guitar....). IIRC, Alkaline gave them a serious ribbing  for this determined anonymity ( I can see why, but the thing is that) Alkaline had also previously highly praised the band (before they fired whichever member) when it posted its work for feedback. I almost sent a PM to Alkaline tipping him off to the fact that he wasn't questioning a SHUTTERSPEED band, but one he'd expressed admiration for, and which he seemed to have admired and praised. Didn't though - I may have found Alkaline irksome in some way (of course I don't remember why; this was c. a decade ago ffs), but he is/was a Dundee United fan (sure sign of a GBOL). Or perhaps I thought bands should always be judged on their songs rather than their names and/or for ad hominem reasons . Where was I going with this...? Oh, yeah, that was an amusing exchange from my point of view.

Otherwise, off the top of my head, Stripy (or Striphy), I miss now and again. It's true that he broke the site's rules re. civility as if he were exempt, and , even if he were, was long overdue a permaban by the time it happened. But otherwise he brought a different musical preference and insight to the site (and while he seemed to be regarded as an elitist snob, this did't seem to be the case when he was critiquing a hip-hop or maybe an electronic group). He was talking about dubstep and so on, years before it (or some wank version of it) became  chart-topping via skrillowpad and whoever else. (and his angry political posts were easily dismissed as  nonsensical or, uh, nonsensical) . He posted very little of his own music (having, he claimed, a record deal in the USA'; which seemed to be verifiably true). Assuming this was not a skilled a hoax, in the profile published by his US employers, he lauded Aberdeen's music scene and applauded its diversity, believe it of not.

Other than that, I got a few jams with various bands and was introduced to quite a bit of new music . Bought and sold some nice bits of gear. Cam't complain.

22 hours ago, Lemonade said:

The summer of $hutt£r$p££d was cruel but excellent. I went to that gig at the Tunnels. 

The infamous "For fans of Tool" thread where someone suggested a band called "The End" and it caused a flame war which led to Rune being permabanned, and climaxed with my favourite post of all time: (from memory because I can't find it) 

"I've written a story with both band names in it. 

You are a tool. 

The end."

I found it! Classic stuff. Becomes an all out flame war on the first page. 

Personal highlights :

-------

"I also wrote a short story that features both bands:

You are a Tool.

The End" 

----------

>"Maybe you should look further into the actual truth assholes before looking at second rate sources and trying to make me look small when in reality your the ones who are talking shit" 

"What are these "truth assholes" of which you speak? Are they some kind of wizened anal sages?"

------

And the age-old question :

"Do you not seriously not know what scenecore is?" 

8 minutes ago, scottyboy said:

I didn't join until 2006 (I'm not an Aberdeen native; although the maternal side of my family is). I was never friends with any other forum members, but I sold CDs and pedals to, and jammed with, not a few members.

I  remember an instance where a band was looking for a replacement guitarist, and, while insisting it was an established and successful band (by Aberdeen standards - it may or may not have had a record deal at that point; in any case it gained one shortly after, if not prior to, the exchange), refused to give its name. I know this because I jammed with them for a bit (sadly, it came to nothing, otherwise it would doubtlessly have conquered the world with I playing lead guitar....). IIRC, Alkaline gave them a serious ribbing  for this determined anonymity ( I can see why, but the thing is that) Alkaline had also previously highly praised the band (before they fired whichever member) when it posted its work for feedback. I almost sent a PM to Alkaline tipping him off to the fact that he wasn't questioning a SHUTTERSPEED band, but one he'd expressed admiration for, and which he seemed to have admired and praised. Didn't though - I may have found Alkaline irksome in some way (of course I don't remember why; this was c. a decade ago ffs), but he is/was a Dundee United fan (sure sign of a GBOL). Or perhaps I thought bands should always be judged on their songs rather than their names and/or for ad hominem reasons . Where was I going with this...? Oh, yeah, that was an amusing exchange from my point of view.

Otherwise, off the top of my head, Stripy (or Striphy), I miss now and again. It's true that he broke the site's rules re. civility as if he were exempt, and , even if he were, was long overdue a permaban by the time it happened. But otherwise he brought a different musical preference and insight to the site (and while he seemed to be regarded as an elitist snob, this did't seem to be the case when he was critiquing a hip-hop or maybe an electronic group). He was talking about dubstep and so on, years before it (or some wank version of it) became  chart-topping via skrillowpad and whoever else. (and his angry political posts were easily dismissed as  nonsensical or, uh, nonsensical) . He posted very little of his own music (having, he claimed, a record deal in the USA'; which seemed to be verifiably true). Assuming this was not a skilled a hoax, in the profile published by his US employers, he lauded Aberdeen's music scene and applauded its diversity, believe it of not.

Other than that, I got a few jams with various bands and was introduced to quite a bit of new music . Bought and sold some nice bits of gear. Cam't complain.

Alkaline has calmed (neutralized?) in his old age I feel

It's weird how Stripey was regarded as some sort of gatekeeper around here. Liked hip hop and electronic stuff when this site was heavily guitar-y, which was nice and clearly had some great ideas/insights about music but really he was mostly just purposefully antagonistic. To the point it became quickly pointless to engage with him. A troll with a thesaurus IMO

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

I found it! Classic stuff. Becomes an all out flame war on the first page. 

Personal highlights :

-------

"I also wrote a short story that features both bands:

You are a Tool.

The End" 

----------

>"Maybe you should look further into the actual truth assholes before looking at second rate sources and trying to make me look small when in reality your the ones who are talking shit" 

"What are these "truth assholes" of which you speak? Are they some kind of wizened anal sages?"

------

And the age-old question :

"Do you not seriously not know what scenecore is?" 

That's proper music discussion! I love how uncivil it gets.

like "I'm not a fan of the lyrics to be honest. YOU FUCKING CUNT"

Just been flicking back through the General Discussion forum, cool1 / Thinker really did start a lot of pish threads (and I closed them all). 

I wonder what ever became of Little Green? That was just JakeBassist pretending to be a female, right? 

Jake's main present is one of the great Aberdeen Music memes. 

4 hours ago, scottyboy said:

I don’t even remember this. Can’t remember ever having a problem with you either.

I think I gave as good as I got in the heyday of this site though.

Glad people think I’ve “calmed” a bit though, not that I was particularly un-calm but I sure loved a good verbal joust.

Wizened Anal Sage was probably one of my personal highlights. Lowlight was calling Ewan an odious little cunt (not that I like him at all of course, just that I let him bother me enough to comment on it). The response was ridiculously OTT for something so innocuous though.

I always respected Stripey even though he could be insufferable, Ben was/is a good guy and despite the odd tête-à-tête on here I generally got on well with most folks in real life.

This site is real shit now.

17 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Fuck haha I must admit I joined a reincarnation of that band under a different name. fuckin hilarious cringe fest.

though it lead to opening for Towers of London and subsequently getting into a fight with the one that was on Big Brother :laughing:

I still wear my girlfriends jeans.. old habits eh

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I wonder what ever became of Little Green? That was just JakeBassist pretending to be a female, right? 

Jake's main present is one of the great Aberdeen Music memes. 

I wasn't Little Green. I wish I was though. My old job was boring as fuck.

17 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Best thing about Jake's main present meme was the fact you can tell he didn't even think twice about it, like it was totally normal for a grown adult to get one.

Still don't think twice about it. "main" was a substitute for "santa" when i grew out of believing. I'm still often asked what I want for xmas, implying that a main present will be bought. This year my main present from my parents was a pair of Stefan Janoski SB Nike Air Max's. Don't hate us 'cause you ain't us.

Also I'm sure it started out of a thread of me asking what I should get for my birthday. Which was just a badly worded way of saying "reccomend me films/music/books to see if there was anything out there I should cop, but knowing my birthday was round the corner, would be a waste of money for me to cop when I can get someone else to get it for me. (Case in point, two christmases ago while out shopping for other people, I bought myself the Stranger Things OST on vinyl and then found out my girlfriend spent the night hurriedly cancelling her order of the same thing)

Come from a family of great gift givers and traditions. Like when I was about 6/7, and still believed in Santa, I couldn't sleep for excitement. It got to the point where I was in tears because I was so tired. My parents let me open a present to calm me (if memory proves right, it was a Mankind wrestling video and some goosebump-esque books). From that moment on, every year my sister and I would be allowed to open a gift on xmas eve. Now, my mum makes "Christmas Eve Boxes" filled with stocking fillers - deodorant, holiday themed socks, chocolate etc and a dvd. She does them for my sister and I, my brother-in-law and my SO (ages ranging from 23-28) I also always get a gift from my dad. Now, my dad still spends money on gifts, but it's always up to my mum to buy them, so years ago he started gifts from just him where he'd find something we like. I'm sure the first one I ever got was LOTR: The Two Towers extended DVD. This year he got me Twin Peaks The Return blu-ray. Again, Don't hate us 'cause you ain't us.

• Like 1

Great memories include Gordon Duthie (I actually bought his signed CD from one-up when they were closing down. Never been listened to but I still haven't chucked it out), Milner being milner, that boy that moved to LA and my former bass tutor sticking up for him, Toxic Distortion, Tea-bag's many doppelgangers and of course the thread of folk saying the girl from Chvrches should have thicker skin in the face of rape threats.